The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

yes sir ree
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Simmering would be a great thing to try - I just gotta get me a pot that's big enough.

The stories about preparation remind me of when I was at my grandmother's - a great Southern cook. I was eating cake and was thinking it was the best I'd ever had and how it must be some great recipe handed down for who knows how long. I asked her what it was & she said "Oh that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs". I have found myself wondering sometimes if my goal when cooking is to make a delicious meal or trying to prove some kind of a weird point through techniques and methods.

Thanks for posting this (and the other stuff too!).
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
jestridge

You had a very smart grandmother
jestridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
ALX
Knows what a fatty is.

THANKS for the read and posting this....I look forward to trying these techniques....
ALX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

You're Welcome

Unread 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

About simmering... You do not have to have a big pot to do it. In fact, most of us simmer when we foil a rack of ribs or Brisket. In this case though, use either a hotel pan or shallow pan and cover with foil for a short time.

I am opting for the "dig up a classic" option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Simmering would be a great thing to try - I just gotta get me a pot that's big enough.

The stories about preparation remind me of when I was at my grandmother's - a great Southern cook. I was eating cake and was thinking it was the best I'd ever had and how it must be some great recipe handed down for who knows how long. I asked her what it was & she said "Oh that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs". I have found myself wondering sometimes if my goal when cooking is to make a delicious meal or trying to prove some kind of a weird point through techniques and methods.

Thanks for posting this (and the other stuff too!).

Unread 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

I foiled a rack of ribs a couple weeks ago. My keg seems to cook things fast, so I went 2.5 hours smoked followed by 1.5 hours foiled all at 250*. I had only put some parkay and SM sweet and spicy in the foil. At the end of the foil they were already falling off the bone, so I glazed them for about 10 minutes and brought them in. Next time I will foil for only 1 hour. For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from.

Unread 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

The motto of cooking until it's done and then cooking for another 30 min.+ has been alive and well for quite a while.

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

thank you Donnie for a great look back at where our heritage comes from!

I really enjoyed this bit...

Quote:
"Funny how something as traditional as simmering meat in a pot can be seen as untraditional while picking up a syringe and placing canned or powdered ingredients into the cut is not. Perhaps it is because KCBS and other Orgs forbid it."

Quote:
Oh, I am THIS close to telling the whole world about my secret injection. But this paragraph is dedicated to the poster who may want to defend that their regional style was never simmered."

And remember, guns don't kill people, the CIA kills people.

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Great read T thx for the info brotha
They are looking for no sauced pull away from the bone basically salt and pepper and heavy smoke, they didn't like anything that was sauced(I wasn't the only one that figured this out after) this is what I leaned on my last comp I did at a IBCA sanctioned comp where the head judges husband took second place

The ribs on the left are what I cut from for turn in

Unread 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I would have chosen those too... less shine. As a guy who uses the weep technique, fall off the bone has a completely different meaning than pull off the bone. In fact, I am not sure but that small little bone at the bottom of your picture.... back in the old days when I competed (1990's), as soon as that bone twisted easily out of the meat completely... that was done. Remember, I said "as soon as." Obviously if your mid bones do that the little bone will too - but is that what they want in Texas now?

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Jorge

Quote:

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.
It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Oh thanks so much that was great! I kinda see your right... for instance, if my brisket was sliced pencil thin it WOULD fall apart but at half and inch to 3'4 it holds together.

As a reward.....

take one jalapeno and make a slit in it and add to a cup of water and microwave until very hot... let the pepper steep a bit then discard.

Add one packet of theraflu and equal parts of

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

Make sure there is a couch nearby and sweat it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
Boshizzle

Simmering meat in a pot is a part of real southern barbecue.

Pictures of the South - Barbecue at Augusta Georgia - a wood engraving from a sketch by Theodore R. Davis published in Harpers Weekly Nov 1866

A Southern Barbecue - a wood engraving from a sketch by Horace Bradley published in Harpers Weekly July 1887

[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote