The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

yes sir ree
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
gtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Culver City, CA
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

Simmering would be a great thing to try - I just gotta get me a pot that's big enough.

The stories about preparation remind me of when I was at my grandmother's - a great Southern cook. I was eating cake and was thinking it was the best I'd ever had and how it must be some great recipe handed down for who knows how long. I asked her what it was & she said "Oh that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs". I have found myself wondering sometimes if my goal when cooking is to make a delicious meal or trying to prove some kind of a weird point through techniques and methods.

Thanks for posting this (and the other stuff too!).
__________________
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Join Date: 12-28-07
Location: annville ky
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You had a very smart grandmother
jestridge is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #19
ALX
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 10-07-08
Location: Severna Park,Maryland
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

THANKS for the read and posting this....I look forward to trying these techniques....
ALX is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You're Welcome
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

About simmering... You do not have to have a big pot to do it. In fact, most of us simmer when we foil a rack of ribs or Brisket. In this case though, use either a hotel pan or shallow pan and cover with foil for a short time.

I am opting for the "dig up a classic" option here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Simmering would be a great thing to try - I just gotta get me a pot that's big enough.

The stories about preparation remind me of when I was at my grandmother's - a great Southern cook. I was eating cake and was thinking it was the best I'd ever had and how it must be some great recipe handed down for who knows how long. I asked her what it was & she said "Oh that's Duncan Hines, I never could get it better than theirs". I have found myself wondering sometimes if my goal when cooking is to make a delicious meal or trying to prove some kind of a weird point through techniques and methods.

Thanks for posting this (and the other stuff too!).
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 02-17-10
Location: San Antonio, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I foiled a rack of ribs a couple weeks ago. My keg seems to cook things fast, so I went 2.5 hours smoked followed by 1.5 hours foiled all at 250*. I had only put some parkay and SM sweet and spicy in the foil. At the end of the foil they were already falling off the bone, so I glazed them for about 10 minutes and brought them in. Next time I will foil for only 1 hour. For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #23
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
For the record I was practicing for comps here in TX, where fall off the bones ribs are almost necessary. It's necessary cause judges get cheap plastic knifes and forks to sample ribs.
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from.
The motto of cooking until it's done and then cooking for another 30 min.+ has been alive and well for quite a while.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

 
KnucklHed BBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-14-09
Location: Kalispell, Montana
Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default

thank you Donnie for a great look back at where our heritage comes from!

I really enjoyed this bit...

Quote:
"Funny how something as traditional as simmering meat in a pot can be seen as untraditional while picking up a syringe and placing canned or powdered ingredients into the cut is not. Perhaps it is because KCBS and other Orgs forbid it."


Quote:
Oh, I am THIS close to telling the whole world about my secret injection. But this paragraph is dedicated to the poster who may want to defend that their regional style was never simmered."





And remember, guns don't kill people, the CIA kills people.
__________________
Hybrid Pellet Pooper "The Meat Vault" - 3 RED Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & pre '79 - Black OT Platinum (DH) - SS AusPit - Rib-O-Lator - SJ UDS (DI) - CRAZY FAST Yeller Thermapen

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

 
AustinKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Location: Austin Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Don't get me wrong... because I might indeed be wrong myself, but can someone confirm this? It does not seem right. With all respect.. I have not been to a contest here in a long while .

Also, ribs do not have to be fall off he bone for plastic cutware to be effective.

Once again... I am not bustin on ya... just want to know where this came from.

Great read T thx for the info brotha
They are looking for no sauced pull away from the bone basically salt and pepper and heavy smoke, they didn't like anything that was sauced(I wasn't the only one that figured this out after) this is what I leaned on my last comp I did at a IBCA sanctioned comp where the head judges husband took second place

The ribs on the left are what I cut from for turn in
__________________
|HOOK'EM UDS|MINI UDS|22.5 WEBER PERF|B&B|OAK & PECAN|DIGIQ|TW8060|THERMAPEN ORANGE|Char-Griller Akorn|Thin Blue Smokery|
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I would have chosen those too... less shine. As a guy who uses the weep technique, fall off the bone has a completely different meaning than pull off the bone. In fact, I am not sure but that small little bone at the bottom of your picture.... back in the old days when I competed (1990's), as soon as that bone twisted easily out of the meat completely... that was done. Remember, I said "as soon as." Obviously if your mid bones do that the little bone will too - but is that what they want in Texas now?

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

Jorge? Expand please. I get the gist of what you are saying but sincerely would like to know more from you about this.
It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #29
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Oh thanks so much that was great! I kinda see your right... for instance, if my brisket was sliced pencil thin it WOULD fall apart but at half and inch to 3'4 it holds together.

As a reward.....

take one jalapeno and make a slit in it and add to a cup of water and microwave until very hot... let the pepper steep a bit then discard.

Add one packet of theraflu and equal parts of

Jack Daniels
Lemon Juice
Honey

Make sure there is a couch nearby and sweat it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
It's one of those unwritten rules that has proved to be true over time among competition cooks.

As you know, we get our judges off the street in Texas. Believe or not, KCBS cooks, they tend to get it right and the evidence is that many cooks do well in Texas and with certified KCBS judges.

The judging process, in Texas, lends itself to what many would consider overcooked meat. If you want me to judge and give me plastic utensils it better be tender to make sure I get a reasonable sample to judge. If your chicken is tough, and a judge gives up on trying to get meat out of one portion of your half chicken...you are taking your own chances.

I want a nice, juicy, and tender chicken half. Brisket slices that barely survive making it into the box, and ribs that require a scalpel to slice. If I have the flavor right, and haven't dried the product out too much I've got a shot.

That's what a lot of judges off the street are looking for in Texas. It's not right or wrong, it's just different from KCBS. At the end of the day, the judges are right. The cooks that understand the differences can do well anywhere. KCBS cooks, doing a Texas contest should consider another 30-45 minutes once they think their product is done unless they have the experience to do otherwise.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Slammed with work, wife got the flu, wife gave me the flu.

Happy to discuss further, anytime....
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Simmering meat in a pot is a part of real southern barbecue.

Pictures of the South - Barbecue at Augusta Georgia - a wood engraving from a sketch by Theodore R. Davis published in Harpers Weekly Nov 1866



A Southern Barbecue - a wood engraving from a sketch by Horace Bradley published in Harpers Weekly July 1887

__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pitmaster T's - Legends and Playlists Pitmaster T Q-talk 12 01-28-2014 07:16 PM
Pitmaster T - I have a bone to Pick - Texas BBQ Makes Errors? Pitmaster T Q-talk 19 10-23-2011 01:45 AM
Cooking with the Master: Episode XII, Simmering Taboo, redux Gore Q-talk 23 10-18-2011 04:55 PM
The Taboo of Simmering - Jetton and Legends of Texas BBQ barbefunkoramaque Q-talk 84 07-03-2011 06:29 PM
Legends of Texas Barbecue- The book. leanza Q-talk 16 10-30-2009 10:24 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts