How to clean up and restore

• Thread starter purplestarrider
  • Start date
P

purplestarrider

I posted this a few days ago trying to figure out exactly who manufactured this and hwo to clean and restore it. I didn't get a chance before to get the pic of what it came with and the inside. So here is what I am looking for and any help the Brethren can provide would be great.

1) What is it. Is there anything missing that I really need to be looking at getting.

2) best way to clean it up and keep it nice ( I have looked it over and it really seems the only crack is on te top)

3) where i might find a user/owner manual on line.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• DSCN7630.JPG
    DSCN7630.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCN7631.JPG
    DSCN7631.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN7632.JPG
    DSCN7632.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN7635.JPG
    DSCN7635.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN7636.JPG
    DSCN7636.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCN7637.JPG
    DSCN7637.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN7638.JPG
    DSCN7638.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSCN7639.JPG
    DSCN7639.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I will check that out. I am always up for as much information i can find

Last edited by a moderator:
So i have checked on the other thread and i think i know what i need to do to fix the lid. but can anyone tell me how to clean the inside up some and if it looks like i have all the parts? and of course if there is anything else that i might need to know about this.

It looks like its a genuine Japanese Kamado, which brand is the Million Dollar Question?

All the parts are there, the first thing I would do is to get a Lodge cast iron trivet or a BGE cast iron charcoal grate-the clay grates have a habit of easily clogging, impeding the airflow.

This is a Sakura Kamado with plug damper from Japan
100_2276.jpg

Taiwanese BBQ Pot
100_2315.jpg

Japanese Imperial Kamado Medium Modern style
100_2501.jpg

Imperial Kamado Large Traditional style
100_2525.jpg

Japanese Hibachi Pot Medium with plug damper
100_2681.jpg

Medium Kamado by Noritake China of Japan with plug damper
100_2899.jpg

Large Japanese Hibachi Pot with slide damper
IMG_0128.jpg

Imperial Kamado Large Modern style (L) Vintage ceramic Large Big Green Egg (R)
100_2221.jpg

You can go to the Naked Whiz site and download a copy of the Pachinko Palace Kamado Manual and cookbook-it looks like this one.
100_2571.jpg

These are but a few that have passed through swamprb's yard, and just when you think you've seen them all - along comes another wonder.
100_2961.jpg

If I was to guess- yours looks like the Large Hibachi Pot!

Follow the firing directions in the Manual (skip the kindling) but note the amount of briqs to use that matches the Kamado size. Don't overload/overheat it, clean the ashes frequently, keep it covered in the rainy season and it'll last a long time.

I went to check out a free Sakura tonight that looked decent in the craigslist pics, removed the bands to move, and the whole thing just collapsed! I walked away with spare parts! http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/zip/2477476974.html

Swamprb thanks for the info i will check out the site. Is there a way that i can tell what i have some where on it? Or is it just a guessing game?

Swamprb thanks for the info i will check out the site. Is there a way that i can tell what i have some where on it? Or is it just a guessing game?

Not to my knowledge, but take a look on the hinge & handles bands-some have JAPAN stamped into the steel. It is a Traditional style kamado.
They all work the same, but some of them have interior parts that don't line up or match and may have been motared into place.

The Imperial Kamado website expired and it was a wealth of information, the new owners had vowed to put it all onto their site, but the last time I checked it had not, it was the one site for years that had the most info and sadly its long gone-we're on our own! The Naked Whiz is the next best bet.

Good luck with it!

Not to my knowledge, but take a look on the hinge & handles bands-some have JAPAN stamped into the steel. It is a Traditional style kamado.
They all work the same, but some of them have interior parts that don't line up or match and may have been motared into place.

The Imperial Kamado website expired and it was a wealth of information, the new owners had vowed to put it all onto their site, but the last time I checked it had not, it was the one site for years that had the most info and sadly its long gone-we're on our own! The Naked Whiz is the next best bet.

Good luck with it!
Thanks so much. It does say made in Japan on on the metal band. that is to bad that the web site is down. I did check the Naked Whiz out last night but really tired when i did. I didn't see anything about cleaning out the inside. Is there anything you can tell me about trying to clean it out?

Thanks so much. It does say made in Japan on on the metal band. that is to bad that the web site is down. I did check the Naked Whiz out last night but really tired when i did. I didn't see anything about cleaning out the inside. Is there anything you can tell me about trying to clean it out?

Looking at your pics, it appears that the firebox is mortared into the base, so I would leave it in place and clear the vent holes and vacuum any ashes out. (Notice some of the fireboxes of my pics? thats another can of worms) Get yourself an ash tool form IK or BGE for future use. A wire brush will get the flaking off the interior of the dome, and a stiff putty knife/scraper and elbow grease will take care of the rest. The Pachinko Palace Manual goes into detail on a lot maintenance details.

Thanks so much for the info. I am excited i think i will be starting the cleaning process this weekend

Back