The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
packerfannate
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default on the side

I have done some pretty great meals so far and am thinking I want to do a whole meal on the smoker.

Any ideas for some great side dishes?

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Smoked baby Yukon Golds are fantastick. Just coat with olive oil and a little s & p and smoke unfoiled til done. This is pretty much the only way I do potatoes at this time. Also since they're not much larger than new potatoes, they don't take too long.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

+1 ^^^^^^^ I like new potatoes mixed with lipton onion soup mix, foiled and thrown on the grill. tasty
Traeger Junior with upgraded Ortech Digital Therm
#2 La Caja China
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Smoked mac & cheese. Also look up Wampus' peach bourbon baked beans. I plan to try them this weekend but they sound great.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
chambersuac

just for clarification...on the smoker and NOT a grill?

Smoker: smoked beans (I do pintos and green beans smoked...very good); smoked mac 'n cheese; smoked rice; smoked potatoes (as mentioned above).

Depending on how hot you're running the smoker, you can do lots - corn, sweet potatoes, etc. Your taste buds and imagination are the limits :)

Wishing you much success!

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersuac View Post
just for clarification...on the smoker and NOT a grill?

Smoker: smoked beans (I do pintos and green beans smoked...very good); smoked mac 'n cheese; smoked rice; smoked potatoes (as mentioned above).

Depending on how hot you're running the smoker, you can do lots - corn, sweet potatoes, etc. Your taste buds and imagination are the limits :)

Wishing you much success!
Ooooooo....forgot the smoked sweet taters. Those ARE awesome.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
chambersuac

oh, and don't forget smoked jalapenos, onions, crud...now I'm hungry...see what you did? :)

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]

Unread 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
PCFisher66
Knows what a fatty is.

^^^^Shoot, I'm always hungry after visiting this site. You can also soak some corn still in the husk and throw those on, they shuck real easy too after being on the grill.

Tod

Unread 07-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
jestridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteerCrazy View Post
+1 ^^^^^^^ I like new potatoes mixed with lipton onion soup mix, foiled and thrown on the grill. tasty
That sound great, have a row of yukon golds in the garden .
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
chambersuac

Love me some Yukon golds just about anyway you can make them. Jestridge, can ya share some with me...you could just run them up when they're ready :)

Yeah, Wampus' recipe looks good - there's another one that floats around here that is popular. Can't think of the full name....Apple Baked Beans (uses Blues Hog sauce among other things)...maybe someone will post the name....someone???

Unread 07-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Two of my favorite meals on the 22" kettle which I think are simple enough to describe in a quick paragraph are as follows (there are infinite meals you can prepare, but these are simple "formulas" if you will):

#1 - Cut some big baking potatoes in half lengthwise, spritz with Pam or oil of choice on the cut side and wrap with foil. Prepare the grill with a Weber chimney full of lump and set the coals on one side of the grill. Set the potatoes on the grill over direct heat flat side down to start. About 20 minutes later flip the taters and put some bacon just along the outside of the center line of the grate from the coals. I like to take toothpicks and take a strip of bacon and weave them back and forth in an S-shape pattern onto a toothpick so there are air-gaps between each layer, and the whole piece of bacon will fit on one toothpick. Lay these down on their side. I can usually fit about 10 to 12 on the 22" kettle this way. About 10 minutes later put on some steaks, burgers, whatever on the indirect heat side. When you go to flip the meat the first time, flip the bacon as well so the top-side is the underside, and the front-side is the back-side (you know what I mean). When you are ready to flip the meat again, put it over direct heat for a reverse sear (in between the taters). Put your veggies of choice (oiled and seasoned) on the indirect part of the grill the meat was on. Once you are done searing the meat, take the meat, taters and bacon off the grill (take the bacon off earlier if it is done), and let the veggies finish if they are not already done while the meat rests. Use the potato halves to make baked taters, and add the bacon if you like and/or use the bacon with the meat for sammiches or whatever.

#2 - Similar to above, but this time start with an oiled half-size aluminum pan filled halfway to the top with alternating layers of red potato slices and cheese (sprinkle some seasoning on as you like) and pour a little cream or milk over the top (you can also do frozen broccoli but fill the pan). Cover with foil and put over direct heat for 20 minutes, then rotate it and put your meat on. When the meat is ready to go over direct heat for a reverse sear, the potatoes go to indirect heat and when everything else is done they are usually done as well. You can do veggies and/or bacon as described above the same way in this method.

My family goes complete ape chit whenever we make a meal like this. There are a lot of possibilities with these ingredients. For the spuds, we have done twice baked, with the meat and bacon the possibilities are as limitless as you imagination, but we love making some sandwiches with the meat (sliced) and bacon.
3rd Degree Crockpot Ninja
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member

Last edited by bigabyte; 07-01-2011 at 04:50 PM..
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
chambersuac

Chris, you're using foil for something other than a head covering? Weird.

That did remind me - take a potato and cut into about half inch cubes (give or take - and doesn't even have to be cubes.). Wrap in bacon - half slice should be enough. Hold bacon in place with toothpick. Smoke until bacon is crispness you like. Enjoy.