The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rib Tutorial?

Well, after my successful pork butt last weekend, I'm anxious to try ribs. Might there be a general tutorial somewhere that can be followed?
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #2
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
Well, after my successful pork butt last weekend, I'm anxious to try ribs. Might there be a general tutorial somewhere that can be followed?
Simple, high heat BBR's done in two hours and yield a smoke ring like this:

GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks. Not sure what temp was used. Maybe 225-250? for 2 hours?

Was looking for low and slow protocol

Old 06-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Simple, high heat BBR's done in two hours and yield a smoke ring like this:
Pretty good article on your web site.

Funny, I did not see the Brethren listed among your "great sites"

When I get some time, I will do the search here and post links.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good afternoon sir! How've you been? How was the butt?

You'll see all types of info here on this. You'll see arguments for and against most everything. For the first go-round, so that you minimize your opportunity to kill them, I do suggest that you foil. A little flame up, a little to much of this or too little of that and you've made tough ribs.

The way we do it (mind you, this is on our smoker, your results may be very different) is:

First, we remove the membrane from the baby backs (we dont spare).

Second, I marinade them over night, in guess what?: 1 part apple juice, 3 parts water, and a fractional part of worchestershire sauce

The next morning about the time I'm light the fire I take them out of the marinade and apply our rub.

The smoker usually comes up to temps in about an hour after we applied the rub. I put them on the smoker, at 250 degrees (a little higher wont hurt a thing). I spritz using apple juice and worchestershire once, at the 1 hour mark. I use hickory for smoke, and IMHO it can consume a rib after a while. As a result (to prevent too much smoke), we foil at the 1.5 hour mark and spritz heavily before sealing up the foil. They stay in foil for another 2.25 hours, for a total time of 3.75 hours. I take them off and allow them to rest, but no more than 2 hours, usually more like 1 hour. I apply the finishing sauce when it's extremely hot, and then only a very thin coat, just before serving.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I would keep it simple for the first time. You didn't mention what type of ribs, but I'm assuming pork, not beef. If you like back ribs, try to find some that are in the 2.25 - 2.5 lb range per slab. If you can look at them look out for shiners (bones that are exposed on the meat side) and avoid those.

I season mine a couple of hours before cooking and put them in the fridge or a cooler to keep cold. Get your cooker going at about 250 degrees and let it stabilize. When it is ready put the ribs on meat side up and try not to look :). Baby racks in that size range at 250 will take about 4 1/2 hours, but each rib is slightly different. You can check for done using the bend method where you pick up the rack and see how much it bends (it should bend close to breaking and you will see small cracks in the bark when done) or you can use a toothpick in between the bones. The toothpick should slide in with little resistance.

For spares, start with full racks that are around 4.5 lbs and do a St. Louis trim and you should end up with racks that are about the same weight as the baby backs. The cook times will be similar but probably slightly longer since spares tend to be meatier. You can also cook the rib tips (the part that you trimmed off) for snacks or use the meat in beans, etc.

2018 Chicago Area Mid-Summer Picnic!!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #7
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Pretty good article on your web site.

Funny, I did not see the Brethren listed among your "great sites"

When I get some time, I will do the search here and post links.

TIM
That is a huge oversight on my part. Be right back...

Done.

Added with the description, "The best all around BBQ discussion forum on the web."

Last edited by GrillinFool; 06-28-2011 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: make things right....

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108103

this is nifty.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #9
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Great info. Just what I was looking for. What sort of "Finishing Sauces" are out there? Like a Carolina Vinegar sauce? That was pretty awesome on the butt.

Nice link, boogie. I will pour through that!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Do you want fall off the bone or not? If not, I wouldn't recommend foiling. Real easy to go to the foil and have pulled pork after you pull from the grill...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Not looking for fall off the bone. I like avoiding foil, in fact

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
Not looking for fall off the bone. I like avoiding foil, in fact
Good man... I gave up foiling years ago...

Old 06-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

I should say I don't like aluminum. If I can avoid it, I do.

Is a Finishing Sauce like a Carolina Vinegar Sauce?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I just use one of my favorite BBQ sauces to glaze the ribs. If it is a thick sauce I thin it with a little apple juice.

2018 Chicago Area Mid-Summer Picnic!!!

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
TedW
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Ron, Basically any sauce that we like. I asssume that because it's pork, the same things that are good for a butt are good for pork ribs. Like apple, etc.