The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
dan09554
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default After The Smoke????

Now that my session is over, how should I prepare the smoker for the next smoke? Is scraping the bits of flavor of the cooking grates enough, or do I need a more thorough cleaning? I don't think I want to remove the flavor that is starting to accumulate. Thanks for any help. So far, you folks have been nothing short of amazing with the info
dan09554 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Just clean the grates. I don't clean and reseason the inside walls of mine but once a year or so. Unless they get really nasty or some thing extrememe.
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like to clean my cookers after each use. I just spent the last hour cleaning mine. I scraped and brushed the grates, sprayed them down with degreaser, let them sit for a few minutes, then rinsed them well with the water hose. Dried them and gave them a light spray of Pam.

I also put foil in the bottom of my cooker. I used paper towels to soak up most of the grease in the bottom, removed the foil, wiped the inside down well, gave it a light spray of pam, and put in new foil. I then wiped the rest of the inside down and gave it a light spray of pam.

I use a pan to catch ash in the firebox. I removed it and dumped the ash, used a shovel to remove the remaining ash in the firebox. Then, used my shop vac to remove the residue. I then wiped down and gave the inside of the firebox a light spray of pam.

Then, I went to work on the outside. I wiped the outside of the firebox down and gave it a coat of high heat paint and waited for it to dry. I then cleaned the outside of the rest of the smoker with degreaser and also gave the outside a light coat of Pam. I also made sure that the hinges and other moving parts were well lubricated with Pam.

A clean pit cooks better BBQ than a rancid one.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan09554 View Post
Now that my session is over, how should I prepare the smoker for the next smoke? Is scraping the bits of flavor of the cooking grates enough, or do I need a more thorough cleaning? I don't think I want to remove the flavor that is starting to accumulate. Thanks for any help. So far, you folks have been nothing short of amazing with the info
I appreciate you being here, dan.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Ok Bo... Is it because its a new Jambo or because the Mrs told you to?

Seriously... while its still hot... brush down the grates and scrape the baffle on the Lang.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
caseydog

The most important step, IMO, is to get the cooking grates indoors. I pull mine, and hang them in the garage. I leave them as-is, so they are coated with fat. No rust that way. I do my cleaning right before the next cook.

I hang my grates on this 12-inch spike in my garage, and just leave them covered with whatever was on them when I pulled them off the grill/smoker. That way, there is no rust accumulating while they are in storage. Then, when I am ready to use them again, they are really easy to clean.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Ok Bo... Is it because its a new Jambo or because the Mrs told you to?
It's because of the new pit, of course.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I like to clean my cookers after each use. I just spent the last hour cleaning mine. I scraped and brushed the grates, sprayed them down with degreaser, let them sit for a few minutes, then rinsed them well with the water hose. Dried them and gave them a light spray of Pam.

I also put foil in the bottom of my cooker. I used paper towels to soak up most of the grease in the bottom, removed the foil, wiped the inside down well, gave it a light spray of pam, and put in new foil. I then wiped the rest of the inside down and gave it a light spray of pam.

I use a pan to catch ash in the firebox. I removed it and dumped the ash, used a shovel to remove the remaining ash in the firebox. Then, used my shop vac to remove the residue. I then wiped down and gave the inside of the firebox a light spray of pam.

Then, I went to work on the outside. I wiped the outside of the firebox down and gave it a coat of high heat paint and waited for it to dry. I then cleaned the outside of the rest of the smoker with degreaser and also gave the outside a light coat of Pam. I also made sure that the hinges and other moving parts were well lubricated with Pam.

A clean pit cooks better BBQ than a rancid one.
Damn, I'm exhausted just reading this.

Unread 06-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Damn, I'm exhausted just reading this.
Yep, but my pit is clean and rust free.

Unread 06-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
bigabyte

Uploads: 1

I have a gasser specifically for the purpose of cleaning grates. With the WSM grids, I have to rotate them. Makes for easy cleanup. I char the stuck on stuff, get it off with a grill brush, and then make sure to oil the grates before each use to help prevent sticking as much as possible. Very easy this way IMHO.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Rancid? Rust? I like to refer to it as flavor patina.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
bbqnano
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I clean my grates before and after each cook with a wire brush then rub them down with a little bit of cooking oil. Firebox gets a coat of paint about twice year. Had my pit for 6 years now and its holding up pretty good.
bbqnano is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I deep clean them after a few months, but usually just wire brush the grates then wipe an onion half to degrease, then lightly oil.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #14
jestridge

I usually burn it off
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
ZouBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I usually just let it cool and cover it after use. Before the next use i get it hot, give the grates a quick rub down with a wad of aluminum foil, then a light coat of vegetable oil spray and put my food on.

If crud starts to build up i scrape the easy to get stuff and leave it at that. Half the reason i started grilling in the first place was the easy cleanup.
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote