oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Paul Kirks School of Pitmasters

I will be taking this class next weekend and have been going over the list of what to bring.It sounds like what some of you have said about getting ready for competion. I will be setting up on Fri. night and and taking the RV as there are several others spending the night.Bought a trailer to haul the 'Dera and etc, (i've been wanting one anyway).The class is twelve hours long so it sounds about like a competion without the pressure.I hope i don't get the "bug".
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera
MrSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Prepare to be told what a "crutch" foil is! :D Mr. Kirk thinks foil is a tool of the 'debil'!

It should be a good course and you'll get to eat a great meal at the end. Report what you find out, please! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
BrooklynQ
Banned

I don't know about his course, but I met Paul last May. He was an extemely nice guy. Very friendly and very knowledgeable without the attitude of some of the other supposed bbq gurus. I do know that his cookbooks are very good. Have a good time.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #4
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQ
I don't know about his course, but I met Paul last May. He was an extemely nice guy. Very friendly and very knowledgeable without the attitude of some of the other supposed bbq gurus. I do know that his cookbooks are very good. Have a good time.
You didn't meet Paul Kirk, it must have been someone else.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
BrooklynQ
Banned

Guess he must have been on his best behaviour then.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
chad

:D

Maybe he was having an "off" day!

I do know that if you must disagree with Mr. Kirk you do so at your own peril....

Keep your opinions about 165 and foil and a cooler to yourself!! :D

Have fun, keep your mouth shut, and ears open!

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker

Old 03-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
bignburlyman
is one Smokin' Farker

I took Paul Kirk's class in February. There is still some pressure as 12 hours is not enough time to get everything done! lol I enjoyed the class and didn't have any problem with Paul Kirk. He does have some attitude and a sharp sense of humor but I had no problem with that at all. It is run almost like a competition as you get teamed with a partner, prepare the meats, then judge by KCBS rules at the end. My partner and I thought our brisket was lousy, and wound up getting first place!!! Took second overall. Mostly what I used at the contest was a tray, tongs, thermometer, and my knife. Just go and have a great time!
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #8
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I loaded the Dera on the trailer yesterday so i wouldn't have any suprises on Fri..today i had the urge so i uncovered the WSM that i haven't used since i got the Dera and put on a pork loin roast and i'm going fishing tomorrow.(Pork sammiches) Just one problem i'm so bored i keep checking on the WSM and it don't need me,I want to feel needed and play with fire.I hope the OL don't catch on
Arizona Chapter BBQ Brethren-----AZBarbeque Hall of Fame, North American Outdoors Grill,Charbroil Red, #7 Custom Red Kamado, Bandera

Old 03-09-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
chad

I hope you have a great weekend! Don't let the time restraints put a monkey on your back. The biggest thing is to not get wrapped around the axle over any one thing not going well.

I think I'm just going to que-up all the rib trimmings from last weekend - I must have 5 or more pounds left from the spare ribs we cooked for Mobile! Already seasoned, too. :D

Old 03-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #10
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Had a great day and learned a lot.We took 1st in chicken and fourth in pulled pork,fouth over all. We made our own rub for the chicken and ribs and i think we used to much on the ribs. I wore the Brethern hat and apron, so you will know our picture. http://www.aztraegergrills.com/

Old 03-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
Bigdog

Congrats Mr. Smoker. Way to represent the Brethren.

Tried your link, but it did not work.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #12
Bigdog

By the way, which Paul Kirk showed up, the nice one or the jerk?
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #13
MrSmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Paul was alright i met him Fri evening when arrived from NY City so got to here some of his BS that the class don't hear.He comes here once a year and likes AZ.BTW try the link again it should work now.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:42 PM   #14
Jorge

http://www.aztraegergrills.com/paul_kirk_2005.html

Pineland Liberator

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2005, 06:01 PM   #15
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
Thanks for the link Jorge. And yes, Mr. Smoker, your link works now too. Have you ever told us about your stanless steel table mod? It looks cool. With your BBQ Brethren hat and apron, you looked to be the class of the class. Very nice.
Smoke on Brother KC