Smoking Butt: Direct Or Indirect Heat?

TedW

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
On a BGE, I was planning direct, but then indirect seemed safer.

Also, I have the lump 1/2 way up the fire ring. Stacked large to medium to small. Pretty close to the normal grate setting. I was going to elevate the grate to be even with the BGE rim. Not seeing a downside to that.

Ready for launch at 06:00 hours.

I'd say indirect....I think thats the way most do it. Direct for a longer cook would probably burn the outside. I could be wrong, feel free to correct me guys.

That's what I was thinking. Less burn opportunity. The more I ponder this the sillier my thought of direct heat sounds... Due to the low heat, maybe just a drip pan under the grate. No stone, in other words.

Low and Slow is done Indirect. Direct heat would turn it into toast on the Egg. The Plate Setter will make the cook Indirect. Use a drip pan or at least cover the Plate Setter with foil. Cook the Butt at 250º dome temp to 165º IT, spraying every 1 hour with Apple Juice. At 165º wrap in foil, spray well with more Apple Juice and continue cooking to 195º-200º IT, remove from Egg and wrap another layer of Foil if needed and wrap in old towels and place into a dry cooler for 2-5 hours.

^^ What they said ^^^

Got a platesetter or another plate to deflect the heat with a drip pan to catch the drippings?

Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet. The lump is 1/2 way up fire ring. Plate setter in down position is pretty close to the lump. Still OK for airflow?

Thanks for helping me dodge a bullet. The lump is 1/2 way up fire ring. Plate setter in down position is pretty close to the lump. Still OK for airflow?

How big is the Butt? Legs up on the Plate Setter is right.

half a load of lump should be ok. Catch the temp going up and you'll be fine with the above directions.

Don't freak when it stalls. It'll get past it when it is ready...

Back