The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
OneHump
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default My Laziest and Best Smoke

OK, no pics, BUT, I feel the need to share anyway...

I'm typically very particular about my cooks. I'm always trying new techniques and tweaking every variable possible to improve my results.

Since returning from Harry Soo's class in January, I've been injecting my pork. It's an epic pain in the ass, and I hate doing it. I had also been spraying and foiling my butts.

For father's day, I had to cook two butts and 4 racks of spares. For the butts, I just rubbed them and threw em on until they were done. For the spares, I trimmed them, rubbed them and foiled for an hour after 2 hours.

I was told by everyone, and I agree, that these are the best butts that I have made.

Everyone likes "fall off the bone" ribs (which annoys me), so I foiled longer than I normally would and ended up with some floppy sloppy ribs. Everyone freaked out. Personally, I like my meat a little stiffer (thats what she said, right?)

Anyway, I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of the KISS approach to BBQ. Not having to inject my butts was really nice and no one missed the injection. Personally, I couldn't tell the difference.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

I think you are on to something there, sometimes simple is definitely better.

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
OneHump
Full Fledged Farker

Yes sir, I am. Inspired by your comments at the eggfest. :)
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Huge fan of simplicity here.

That's where it all started - get a piece of meat, season it, cook it till it's done, eat it.

Of course, my view probably has a lot to do with the fact that I'm a lazy sumbich.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

I agree to keeping it simple but I personally can tell a difference in my pork when I don't inject, depending on the injection of course. Go with what works for you and your friends/family and I agree, fall off the bone ribs annoy me too
Traeger Junior with upgraded Ortech Digital Therm
#2 La Caja China
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

part of what makes the finished product great is have a fun time making it. bbq should be enjoyable and i am glad that approach paid off for you
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #7
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, simple is the way to go. At my age, I just don't care to spend 12 to 14 hours cooking BBQ anymore. Simple recipes at 275F suit me just fine and it always comes out tasty.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Dave, great comments, I agree. BBQ is more about enjoying the process and not creating work that feels like a burden. To me, it's more important to enjoy the process that combines your personal requirements for taste & flavor while minimizing complexity of exacting tolerances and practices that ultimately may not enhance the BBQ quality at all.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
TedW
is one Smokin' Farker

What a funny story Hump. I say that as I prepare to meticulously prep my first butt today, and start the process at 6AM. I'll be injecting, rubbing, re-rubbing, spraying and foil. I also received my order of stupidly expensive specialty vinegars for a couple of drizzles.

I have admittedly over-killed this whole thing. Sent the wife on a mission to come back with nice rolls without HF Corn Syrup. Nearly impossible, it seems.
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
OakPit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
What a funny story Hump. I say that as I prepare to meticulously prep my first butt today, and start the process at 6AM. I'll be injecting, rubbing, re-rubbing, spraying and foil. I also received my order of stupidly expensive specialty vinegars for a couple of drizzles.

I have admittedly over-killed this whole thing. Sent the wife on a mission to come back with nice rolls without HF Corn Syrup. Nearly impossible, it seems.
Its good to go through the process that makes BBQ such a fun pursuit. It is after many BBQ cooks, that a pitmaster finds a personal rhythm and selects what works and doesn't work.

Some things are essential however...great ingredients!

Post some pics of what is sure to be memorable cook.

Traditional Santa Maria Pit
Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE
Weber 22" OTS & 26" OTG & 18"WSM & WGA
[COLOR="Red"]Each wearing custom handles from Marty Leach[/COLOR]
OakPit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

One Hump, I know exactly what you're talking about. I am pretty much the same type of person at the smoker until I had an issue.

Long story short, I had some timing issues with my kids sports tournament and having to do some butts for the end of season Q.

So, the only way I could solve the whole deal was just put the butts on at 11pm the night before. No mopping, foiling, etc. I was either sleeping or at games. I hit temps at noon the next day, foiled and threw them in a cooler until 5 pm.

Just like you, best butts I have ever done and the Q folks were more than complimentary. Honestly, I was quite surprised.

Those I did take pics of but I don't want to hijack your thread.

Unread 06-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I bought Gary Wiviott's Low and Slow book and the number one thing that I got from it was to not sweat the small details, I've followed K.I.S.S. since (though not exactly to his specs) and my Q has improved greatly. Course purchasing a WMS didn't hurt either.