The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
enasnidx
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
I bury the wood chunks in the unlit charcoal, so it will give a steady continual burn, and won't ignite too fast. I also wait 15-30 minutes after dumping lit coals and replacing lid to allow the fire to stabilize and start putting out TBS. I shake my head when watching videos of folks putting meat in their UDS/WSM right after lighting coals.
Thanks brother! So far all I've done is season the UDS and try to dial it in...
I think I'm ready for it's maiden voyage.
enasnidx is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
deerslayer8153

I am a beginner too, only 5 or 6 cooks on the UDS. I have had problems with big swings in temps.

Last cook I let it get up to temp a little more slowly and started capping before I got to target temp. In my case it looks like getting too hot makes it way harder to control.

My ball valve is oan an 18" pipe about half way up the barrel, and I ix the wood chunks in the charcoal.

Unread 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #18
LoveBBQ

OK, I think I figured out my problem. Too many briquettes in the chimney for starters!

Tonight I tried starting the fire with only a dozen or so briquettes instead of a half chimney. Got it started, dumped into a cavity on the middle of the charcoal basket and loaded it into the drum. Temps rose SLOWLY! Unlike before my temps would soar! I capped one intake when it hit 235. Capped the second after that temp held for about 15 minutes. Temp dropped to 225 and held. I tried to hold it there with two ways, one with the ball valve and one with a single nipple open. I wanted to make sure my intake with the ball valve isn't a problem. So far it is holding steady!!!

Unread 06-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #19
LoveBBQ

I may have spoke too soon about the ball valve intake. I went back out to check on it and temps had dropped to 200* and the fire was out in the basket. Removed a cap from the nipple and came back out 10 minutes later and she was burning orange again and the temp was back up. I'll be picking up a shorter pipe to see if that helps.