The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Inject, Fry, Taste:

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #17
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
Inject, Fry, Taste:

'nuf said eh?

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
jmccann
Got Wood.

Heavy gloves, long sleeves of something natural. Helps allot when lowering and raising the bird. Take the giblets out (Didn't do that, but saw it done once!) We usually do a pole between us to lower into the hot oil.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #19
Cajunator
Knows what a fatty is.

Keep in mind that when heated, oil will expand and it's better to have too little of oil than too much. Once the bird is in the fryer it will bubble and splash. Do this at least 20 feet from any covered structures. Those flame can whip pretty high if ignited. DO NOT LEAVE UNATTENDED!!! Be careful and good luck with your turkey frying.

Since you may be using peanut(most expensive)oil. check with friends and neighbors to see if they want to do a bird also since it's not that much more work to fry more except for the time.
Cajunator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
Wyley
On the road to being a farker

I have only heard or this being done. Fry a pound of bacon in your oil first. I've never personally done this but I will try it next time I do.

Paul
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:12 PM   #21
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

If you read the Cajun Injector cook book they do roasts, all kinds of things. To clean the oil I quarter whole potatos and deep fry, just like broasted!
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

All I do is brine it and fry it. When the temp hit 155-160 I take it out and let it rest for about 30 or 45mins and then go to town. Super simple
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
Weber 18.5 Kettle
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
parrdist
Full Fledged Farker

I'll second the Big Easy oil less fryer. I've done the Peanut oil frying, Big mess and expensive. The Big Easy can be used year round for chicken and other meats and it makes the best Bake Potato's.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Try smoking ducks on the low and cold side then deep fry them. WOW. They are like duck bacon.

Or look up the Chinese recipe "Crispy Aromatic Duck". That one takes a while but it is worth it.

I also put whole cornish game hens in butter milk for a while then shake in a paper bag full of flour with salt, pepper and Old Bay. Then I drop them in the fryer. Makes great whole fried chicken.

Fried turkey is good but when I do turkey I spachcock it and grill over an open fire. I just love that.

I use the turkey fryer for making butt-loads of Buffalo wings and the stuff above, or home brew.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #25
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
Simplest safety tip of all:

Extinguish the fire while you put in the bird and relight once it's in.

That way if there is an overflow, there isn't a resulting huge fire.
Yup. I've fried several propane tanks worth of turkeys over the years.

Pretty much the best tip out there.

All the other tips on seasoning and stuff are just ways to make it taste "better." I find that it tastes good with nothing more than a sprinkling of salt when it first comes out the oil (sorta like French fries).

Old 06-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #26
deerslayer8153

Yes, follow the safety tips mentioned above!

All in all, it's a pretty expensive way to cook with the price of peanut oil. It's really messy to strain and store in a cool place.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #27
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer8153 View Post
Yes, follow the safety tips mentioned above!

All in all, it's a pretty expensive way to cook with the price of peanut oil. It's really messy to strain and store in a cool place.
Not cheap, but as far as "treats" go, it ain't all that expensive, especially if you figure it's going to feed 10 people (you'll pay a lot more to feed ribeye steaks or shrimp, etc. to 10 people).

As far as straining and storing goes. I have a big funnel and simply put it back in the bottle(s) it came from.

Also...who ever fries just one turkey when they crank that cooker up? Not me.

Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #28
CPMatthew

I haven't fried a turkey in a few years, but the most reliable way I found to get the correct oil level was the submerge the bird in oil while it was still in the shrink wrap (assuming you are getting it from the store). Lower the bird slowly and allow the body cavity to fill before dropping it all the way in. It's hard to mess up a fried turkey as long as you don't burn yourself.
CPMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #29
kendall
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
The two tips already posted about determining the oil level and turning off the fire when putting the bird in are key.

I've done 5-6 deep fried turkeys with my brothers, and have always had great success. Don't get too big of a bird too; we stick to the 12-14lb range for our fryer.

Another thing we do is mix up some stuffing that would normally go in the turkey if roasting it; but add a couple eggs to the mix to hold it together, form in to balls and deep fry as well.
never cared for stuffing.. or dressing as it is called in TN, but this sounds good.
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote