拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Dillo_Duster
On the road to being a farker

Default Fatty Thread

How much sausage is typically used in a fatty?

I used 1lb and flattened it in a 1gal ziploc bag. i think it was too thin. It broke open when I rolled it with the stuffing on it.

Also, What are some your favorite fatty fillings?

My first fatty was maple bacon, diced jalapenos, and cheddar/jack cheese. rubbed with Rob Co. Original.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I think 1.5 to 2lbs is a good fatty size. 1lb works fine but you have to go a little easier on the stuffings with the smaller quantity of meat.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

All fatties don't HAVE to have filling.
Sometimes a plain old naked fattie is wonderful.

"Brown it's cookin', Black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
smokaholic
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats my breakfast fatty. 2lbs sausage, 1lb or so of bacon rolled out, rolled mine out in cookie sheet, 1 4egg omelette with red and green pepper some onion then some diced country potatoes. Laid all out and rolled, sprinkled some plowboys on the outside for a small kick, smoked and sliced. Very delicious when first taken off and eaten. Losing something once its cooled and reheated the next day. I dont think the potatoes liked that very much. Picture below.

I have another one I won first place with and its a hawaiian pizza fatty.
1lbs johnsville mild, 1lb johnsonville italian all mixed up with some blues hog and plowboys (im a big fan). Layed out on cookie sheet and then layered with canadian bacon ( the little circle pieces ), pineapple chunks, jalapenos, and sliced mozzarella. Rolled up and I put some pineapple circles across the top towards end of smoking and then removed before cutting, they just fall off if you cut them anyway. It is far and away my personal best tasting fatty. The pineapple juice and chunks just meld and love the pork, the cheese sucks up some jalapeno heat and when its still hot comes out nice and stringy like a hot pizza. Family loves them to. When I cook which is about every weekend they want me to make another. I hate to say it but I cant find any stinkin photos of them.

Im working on a new creation probably more or less stolen from here. I have a thing for breakfast so its going to be a twist on scotch eggs with maybe a blueberry pancake lining. Going to try freezing the batter around the egg then putting sausage on the outside and freezing so inside and out should cook about the same without it getting runny on the inside and burnt outside. Smoke at low heat around 215 to 225 so as not to burn it. Also just going to layer sausage rolled out in circle with cooked pancake on top and egg in middle then form the shape so pancake wraps egg and sausage wraps pancake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (59.2 KB, 118 views)
Chargrill gasser/smoker w/sfb
et-73 and ET-732 Maverick dual probe
Thermapen Black
Certified Judge
no trailer
no truck
no luck
smokaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Ron_L

On the rare occasion that I stuff a fatty I just use 1 lb in a gallon bag. It works fine. Just take your time and work out any thin spots.

The Naked Fatty!

Chicago Area Summer Gathering Planning is under way!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #6
smokaholic
Knows what a fatty is.

yeah just about any ground sausage no matter who makes it is awesome by itself. I did 2lbs to make it big or family size for about 10 people. Sausage is by extension like bacon...everything is better with bacon, and I cant think of a way I wouldnt eat bacon unless its raw or burnt to a crisp. Same with sausage.
Chargrill gasser/smoker w/sfb
et-73 and ET-732 Maverick dual probe
Thermapen Black
Certified Judge
no trailer
no truck
no luck
smokaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

1 pound sausage is a good size. If you need more, than do a couple. The biggest error I've seen is overstuffing them. Naked is also good. If you want some ideas, check the throwdowns:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=94096
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

i've always used 2 lbs of sausage. Have you guys seen the philly cheesesteak fatty posted the other day? that is definately on the list to do ASAP.