The Rub Co. Flat Iron Steak

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Well, the first sample got lost by the USPS but Ryan was real quick to mail out another when it wasn't even his fault, and he also threw in a sample of his BBQ rub. Thanks Ryan!

Started out with marinating a flat iron, 1.6 lbs, in Paul Newman's Own Italian Dressing for a couple days (Didn't mean to go this long but the heat index was just too much Monday). Brought it out and rubbed it generously with the Original blend. Initial taste of this rub gave me the impression of an excellent mix of savory with just the right amount of heat. While the steak was getting to room temp I marinated some baby bellas and a couple largish squash quartered lengthwise. Redhot made a wonderful blue cheese sauce for the steak. She got a recipe off the net but of course modded it quite a bit. Lit a chimney of K Comp with a chunk of hickory and commensed to grilling.
therub.jpg

rubbed-3.jpg

marinating.jpg

ingredients-1.jpg

saute.jpg

finishingsauce.jpg

Onto the Smokey Joe

smokeyjoe.jpg

grill-1.jpg

veggies-2.jpg

veggies1.jpg

Resting...
rest.jpg

Sliced

sliced-7.jpg

Plated

plate-4.jpg

Sauced
withsauce.jpg

Reeeeeeealy sauced

plate2-1.jpg

Bottom line? This is an excellent rub for beef and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and also sample some other of Ryan's rubs. In fact...

I did just that.:becky::thumb::thumb: Thanks Ryan! Good Stuff Indeed!

endpic.jpg

Thanks for looking!

That steak is perfect! I have got to do that blue cheese thing too, it has got to be good. Ryan's rubs ain't too shabby either. Oh, and the Bragg vinegar "With the mother":thumb: Yeah!

Drat. Looks like there's a Photobucket problem. Can't log in there - get an error message, and none of my recent posts will load the pics either. Hopefully this get's fixed.

Wow Guerry that is awesome! My sample was lost in the mail also and Ryan was kind enough to send me another along with the bbq rub. Great stuff!

Great looking flat iron Guerry! Like the idea of the Smokey Joe on top of the kettle sure saves the back. Thanks for posting

That steak is perfect! I have got to do that blue cheese thing too, it has got to be good. Ryan's rubs ain't too shabby either. Oh, and the Bragg vinegar "With the mother":thumb: Yeah!

I was quite surprised how good that blue cheese sauce came out. The recipe said not to use the pre-crumbled cheese but that's all we had so I figured I'd just wing it. I used about 2 tablespoons of butter, added about 1/4 of a diced white onion and 5 cloves thinly sliced garlic, sauteed for about 3 minutes then added 2 tablespoons of ACV stirring until mostly evaporated. Turned the burner to low then added the cheese (didn't have the 6 oz called for so added about 2 oz of feta cheese to the blue). It was pretty thick so I slowly added about 3-4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream - YUM! It really did come out very good, next time we're going to get some high quality blue cheese.:becky:

Nice lookin' eats Guerry!! We had some mushrooms with our smokey joe flat iron too!! There goes that great minds thing again...:becky:
Thanks! Sooooo, OK. We both cook flat iron steaks, on a Smokey Joe, testing out a rub sample, with mushrooms as a side, on the same day...I'm hoping it's that great minds thing else I'm queueing up the Twilight Zone music.:shock::becky::heh:

You may have a point there...

Please tell me Redhot wasn't modeling her new patriotic clothes for the 4th of July, like Katie was!! If so, then we truly will have crossed over into the...Twilight Zone!

Back