The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cook times: UDS <<<< WSM?!?

Hello

I don't know if I've gone mad since I've been using my UDS more and more but I've noticed the cook time for chicken/ribs/pulled pork is all significantly shorter in my UDS than it was in my WSM. I'm not sure if it's because of the lack of the water pan but the temps are just about the same 225-250 for the pork and 300-350 for the chicken.

Has anyone else noticed similar results?

Thanks
Sam
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me
IbrahimSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
jimmyinsd
Full Fledged Farker

i dont have a WSM, but it stands to reason that with the UDS you also benefit from the direct radiant exposure that you wouldnt with a water pan in a WSM.

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Comparing the two cookers, it's a matter of trade-offs, but regarding the cook times, the main thing is that the temp at the center of your drum is a LOT higher than the temp where your gauge stem ends on the side. Also, stating the obvious, but the wsm water pan is only putting off 212* heat right below the bottom grate... but you could go waterless and cook at higher temps. The only thing cooking at higher temps that you have to really watch is if you have meat on the bottom grate beyond the edge of the pan, since it's so close to the fire. (If cooking much over 250* on my 18.5" wsm, I prefer to foil, and rotate the butts on the bottom rack, and I wouldn't even consider smoking a HH brisket on my bottom wsm rack.)

With the UDS, I could get pork butts done in less than ten hours, but with several vent changes....Great results, but with fat and connective tissue that needed to be picked out, not to mention all that "fat in the fire" taste.

With the wsm, I'll cook pork butts/briskets for twelve to sixteen hours, depending on if using both grates and what my time of serving is. However, cooking that slow, I'm left with just as good or better bbq as with the UDS, and the slower I cook, the quicker the pork is to the table after unwrapping the foil. For example, just yesterday, after sixteen hours, there was nothing left to pull out of either pork butt but the bone and one piece of gristle. Oh yeah...regarding the "fat in the fire" flavor, you can get the same thing in the wsm by tossing a few pieces of fat on the coals. ....if that's what you like.

Unread 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

I know you say that the temps is the same in the 2 cookers but is the grate temp the same? I know with the WSM the thermometer is in the dome and the dome temp is a bit higher than the actual grate temp since it is higher and heat rises. So I would try checking your grate temps to make sure they are where they need to be.

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not trusting either thermometer. I'm sticking a probe at or near the rack.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me
IbrahimSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I do think that things finish a bit quicker on the UDS...even at the "same temp." It's the direct heat for sure. I do also think that my drum is more airtight than any of my WSMs (door etc)...retains more heat in cooking area?

What's more. I tend to use the drum for hot-n-fast cooks (and WSM for low-n-slow)...my expereince is that on the drum I can go hot-n-faster than I can using a WSM.

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
N8man
Babbling Farker

UDS=BBQ MicroWave...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is online now   Reply With Quote