The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 06-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default All I can say is wow...

After listening to the board minutes from this week, I really have to wonder if anybody on the board actually does any research at all.
We had a discussion on here a month or so again about Sous Vide cooking and this week the board has decided to disallow it for food safety reasons because of a definition found on Wikipedia. Really? Wikipedia?

15 minutes of research would have found dozens of sites full of research material on how this method can be done safely and safely in the field. I amazes me that rather than fully research a method which, by the way, has been used for hundreds of years safely, they poke around for just long enough to realize they don't fully understand something, so it must be a bad thing.

You may agree or disagree that it's true BBQ, but there is no way it's any more unsafe than any of half a dozen other methods being used.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-11-10
Location: Gilroy, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I agree with you. It is not an unsafe cooking method when done properly...like almost every other form of cooking.

They should deny it for the fact that it is not barbeque, not because it is unsafe.
__________________
2011 CBBQA Rookie ToY - 6th Overall, 2012 American Royal Invitational - Huminie's Hogalicious BBQ
huminie is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 04-22-10
Location: NEW ENGLAND
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

please, forgive my ignorance.

is the KCBS board compensated monetarily or strictly volunteer?
__________________
[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"][I][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][/FONT]"YAWN"[/I][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]-[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="2"]In memory of a friend.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I believe they are only compensated for expenses related to performing their duties. But I could be wrong.
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker
 
PimpSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-28-06
Location: Tha' Boo
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

My issue after l listening for this, was that the BOD spent more time talking about something that the vast majority of teams well have nothing to do with, the annual meeting, than things that directly affect teams, the rules. I got the impression the annual meeting in the planning phase kinda sounds more like a retreat for the BOD than anything. I understand they are trying to make a good event for the members that may have the money to attend or a shot at TOY, but that's not the majority. Just seems the priorities for a body represents the membership as a whole, should be a little more for the majority.

off of box
__________________
So here we are in my paisley crib, what you want to eat?
"Ribs"...ah, Latoya, I don't serve ribs.
Better be happy that dress is still on,
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #6
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-09-07
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
After listening to the board minutes from this week, I really have to wonder if anybody on the board actually does any research at all.
We had a discussion on here a month or so again about Sous Vide cooking and this week the board has decided to disallow it for food safety reasons because of a definition found on Wikipedia. Really? Wikipedia?

15 minutes of research would have found dozens of sites full of research material on how this method can be done safely and safely in the field. I amazes me that rather than fully research a method which, by the way, has been used for hundreds of years safely, they poke around for just long enough to realize they don't fully understand something, so it must be a bad thing.

You may agree or disagree that it's true BBQ, but there is no way it's any more unsafe than any of half a dozen other methods being used.

So your problem isnt that they didnt do any research, they did. It's that their research conflicts with your opinion. They made a decision, I dont think anyone would really disagree with it when you consider the context.

An secondly, are you really contending that the Sous vide method has been used for hundreds of years?
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker
 
Muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-06
Location: Pleasant Valley NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
My issue after l listening for this, was that the BOD spent more time talking about something that the vast majority of teams well have nothing to do with, the annual meeting, than things that directly affect teams, the rules. I got the impression the annual meeting in the planning phase kinda sounds more like a retreat for the BOD than anything. I understand they are trying to make a good event for the members that may have the money to attend or a shot at TOY, but that's not the majority. Just seems the priorities for a body represents the membership as a whole, should be a little more for the majority.

off of box
no offense but I think more members will be attending the Annual Meeting and Banquet then will be trying to Sous Vide their turn ins.
If you have never attended one of the banquets, you should try do so. It is a whole lot of fun when that many KCBS members can get together not under a tent without the distraction of cooking.
That being said, make sure you eat before the dinner.....
__________________
Sean Keever

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
ique
is One Chatty Farker
 
ique's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-14-05
Location: New England
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
We had a discussion on here a month or so again about Sous Vide cooking and this week the board has decided to disallow it for food safety reasons
Well that's a bummer, been wanting to try that at a comp
ique is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 04-21-09
Location: Marietta, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
So your problem isnt that they didnt do any research, they did. It's that their research conflicts with your opinion. They made a decision, I dont think anyone would really disagree with it when you consider the context.

An secondly, are you really contending that the Sous vide method has been used for hundreds of years?
When a search on Wikipedia constitutes "research", it's a sad day considering that Wikipedia entries are submitted by anybody that wants to.

And I suppose the modern day Sous Vide method began with the advent of plastic, but it's roots predate even BBQ. Slow cooking at a lower temperature in a sealed container has been around a very long time.

And their very reason for considering it unsafe would also disallow MSG.. Because it is also a health hazard for a small percentage of the population. The difference being that if used properly, Sous Vide is as safe as any cooking method..


And Chris.. It does well in comps if done right.... well I guess it did. :(
__________________
4000 sq inch Wood Burner named Brutus - KCSB member/judge# 32129
roksmith is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
CBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: Cumberland, RI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You know what the Rhode Island Department of Health considers an extremely risky method of cooking requiring extra documentation when applying for a health permit?



Smoking.



Maybe we should ban that too.


I don't think Sous Vide is truly BBQ, so I could understand that, but the food safety argument doesn't make sense coming from an organization that is promoting low and slow cooking.
__________________
Chris
ZBQ Competition BBQ Team, Rhode Island
"The Most Dangerous Team in BBQ" - Jon Vallone
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

 
Slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Northern VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
That being said, make sure you eat before the dinner.....
Or at least know where the good cheesesteak places are
__________________
Aporkalypse Now Competition BBQ team
Thanks to our sponsors: Wusthof Trident USA & Creekstone Farms
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #12
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

 
Slamdunkpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-27-07
Location: Northern VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I suspect they implemented it under "Food Safety" so they could enforce it immediately vs having to wait until the 2012 season for a formal rule change.

Sous vid isn't something that one should just jump into, especially low temp sous vid without a little research. For example fresh garlic and long duration low temp sous vid is a VERY bad idea and can be dangerous.

The board is opening up a Pandora's box with this. No gas / no electric / no deep frying and no parboiling used to be the limitations. So now you can't sous vid, yet it's still OK to braise, poach, and boil to finish (yes, I've seen it). Still, until you see reps peeking into cookers this is another rule that won't be enforced.

As the Board continues to increase the restrictions on cooking methods, all we are going to end up with is more homogeneous tasting and identical looking turn ins.
__________________
Aporkalypse Now Competition BBQ team
Thanks to our sponsors: Wusthof Trident USA & Creekstone Farms
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #13
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 06-09-08
Location: Forker River, NJ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Exactly what makes it risky? Low cooking temps? Kcbs is now the food police! hahaha, they have never temped my meat in my cooler. They have much bigger fish to fry.
__________________
Jacked UP BBQ vending


Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

 
Stoke&Smoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-18-07
Location: Western burbs of Chicago, IL
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

How would one do Sous Vide under rule#6? Is there such a thing as a charcoal or wood fired sous vide circulator?

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device
__________________
2 Skinny Cooks Competition Team
http://2SkinnyCooks.blogspot.com
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #15
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
CBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: Cumberland, RI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
How would one do Sous Vide under rule#6? Is there such a thing as a charcoal or wood fired sous vide circulator?

6) Fires shall be of wood, wood pellets or charcoal. Gas and
electric heat sources shall not be permitted for cooking or
holding. Propane or electric is permitted as fire starters,
provided that the competition meat is not in/on the cooking
device
It's been done using coolers.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ight=sous+vide
__________________
Chris
ZBQ Competition BBQ Team, Rhode Island
"The Most Dangerous Team in BBQ" - Jon Vallone
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOW...Just Wow! (Brag Warning) tortaboy Q-talk 26 12-17-2011 01:31 PM
1st Cook on the Bandera * Wow, Just Wow! Midnight Smoke Q-talk 27 04-22-2011 09:05 PM
WOW just WOW! Stubbs roadhouse wood Derek Q-talk 16 03-21-2010 05:07 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts