The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
patkline9999
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How's my meat look?

Practice pork today ... would love to hear your comments ... meat only please, I realize the shortcomings of the box and garnish (off center , slanted meat rows, unbalanced etc) ... but how's the meat look ? Score? (meat appearance?)
patkline9999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
patkline9999

I just took a look at my own picture ... top right slices look fatty ... no fat is there ... that's glare ..

Unread 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
emohn

Why slices? We slice and present money muscle, along side of pulled bits. Seems to be the norm around here.
emohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

My first reaction was too much bark to interior meat ratio...

Hard to assess... 7, maybe an 8.

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

meat looks good. Arrangement needs work. keith

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
goodbuddiesbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

7 if it was straightened and a few more natural looking chunks and a light polish - it would be an 8.
goodbuddiesbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have to slice it, it is not done. 6 - No chunks, no pulled, just sliced. Most judges do expect variety.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
Bentley
Babbling Farker

If you have to slice it, it is not done, I will have to remember that one.

An 8.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
patkline9999

Actually , I didn't HAVE to slice it. I just DECIDED to slice it because that is what I like. I cooked it to 195 internal and let it rest, covered for 1 hour , it went to 198 while resting so I guess it wasn't technically resting but still cooking and I would think that it was done for sure ...yes??..but anyway ..went to 198 then came down a little, I untented it and pulled it apart, sliced the money muscle and then I saw that other great piece of bark and just decided to slice that and see what the experts here on this forum thought. Just an experiment and I guess I learned that slicing is frowned upon here but I can tell you that I have scored pretty good with only slices in the boxes so far this year but no walks yet so maybe that's where I'm blowing it... I know when I judge, I ABSOLUTELY HATE having to eat those stringy pulled bits and judges are instructed to taste every type of meat offered in the box so I am forced to eat that stringy stuff ...yuuccch.

Unread 06-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #10
bigdogphin
Full Fledged Farker

It looks dry. It might not be dry but it looks dry and has been sitting for a while. Color looks great though.

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500

Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
If you have to slice it, it is not done. 6 - No chunks, no pulled, just sliced. Most judges do expect variety.
not done?????really??????? I guess you call it the pulled pork catagory as well..

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #12
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I sure hope you don't judge a competition that I am entered in. The judges are not supposed to expect anything. They are supposed to judge what is presented. This is a prime example of what not to do when judging.

To the original poster I give you an 8....

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #13
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I like it on the angle. I would remove the top left and the bottom right piece. I would like to see more of the meat. And maybe a glaze would be good. I love the very defined smoke ring. Show it off.

I give it an 8

Cheers,
Nate
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The pork itself has a BEAUTIFUL and appetizing color to it. The bark has a warm rich color that isn't black and screams come eat me. I know you *cant* judge smoke ring, but to many if it doesn't have a smoke ring it's not as appetizing. Yours has a wonderful smoke ring and displayed proudly.

HOWEVER, to add to the overall appeal I would suggest that many across the nation like to see more pieces/chunks and less slices and/or bark. For example, I'm in a region that you'd rarely if ever see slices; pork sliced is considered undercooked. Maybe the sliced pork presented (not in your case above, but hypothetical) is undercooked, or isn't. The problem is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in this case the beholder is giving you a score... Your region may be very different. Going back though, I suggest mixing it up. The sliced money muscle looks very appetizing. Add in a bunch of pulled chunks about the size of your thumb+- and you should be good to go.

I'd probably have scored this either a 7, possibly an 8 on appearance. However, I think the 9 is in there with a little adjustment.

Unread 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
I like it on the angle. I would remove the top left and the bottom right piece. I would like to see more of the meat. And maybe a glaze would be good. I love the very defined smoke ring. Show it off.

I give it an 8

Cheers,
Nate
What Nate said. I like the bark, but you may want to showcase the face of one of the slices. I know, I know, we don't judge the smoke ring, but I truly believe many judges (not me, I am a great judge) will score higher, even if subconsiously. I think lining up the slices a little better would help also. Based on picture I would probably score a 7. At the table might get an 8.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote