This weekends Q

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After a 2 week hiatus, I'll be firing up the Bandera Saturday morning around 3 am. I'll have 16 people (half kids) to feed around 6 PM.

Current Plans:

• 8 lb Butt, Hope to finish it around 4pm and cooler then pull around 6.
    1 Fatty on first thing so I can have sausage and buscuits and gravy around sun up.
    several pounds of st louis spares going on later to be ready for dinner service
    a bunch of the .88/lb tightly trimmed beef back ribs to be ready for dinner
    ~30 ABTs and another coupla fatties on around 3 so they are ready just in front of dinner time for guests to try.

I hope the weather cooperates - rain has been forecast off and on. I guess if it rains, I just need to build a shelter for the smoke stack and keep my fuel dry.

This is what I did last year during a rainy day. Worked really well.

Dad's birthday party is Sunday - my brother is 'smoking' some ribs in his Brinkmann electric and my folks are going to try to do some in theirs as well. I'm only responsible for the baked beans. My brother does well with his but my folks have never done any. I'm assuming 2-2-1 will work in an electric - heat is heat as TK says. Just won't be any smoke flavor because they don't use chips. I'll add some chunks of some of my smoked ribs into the beans to make up for it. :D

At least they don't boil the ribs first :twisted: :roll:

G$ you have a method for those beef back ribs? I've tried them and there isn't much to work with, or least what I'm getting. If you have a winner I'd appreciate your sharing. I usually end up with some good grub for the dogs.

I did the beef back ribs a few weeks ago and people loved them! I oiled and rubbed them and smoked them for about 7 hours till the meat was pulling back. Sprayed and wrapped them and into a 250 oven for a couple of hours (looking back this was probably overkill because everytime someone grabbed a bone, the meat stayed on the plate. Just use a lot of rub or it will be bland.

Jorge said:
G$ you have a method for those beef back ribs? I've tried them and there isn't much to work with, or least what I'm getting. If you have a winner I'd appreciate your sharing. I usually end up with some good grub for the dogs.

Nope, I found a few threads with tips, but frankly my expectations are low. My plan was to find the lowest temp spot i could locate, and let em cook as long as I could, anticipating that a lot of that time may be spent in foil. My theory was rub only, no mop. Fortunately, these are not the main dish. If they work they work - I'll let you know. I Plan on being online for the cook.

This is what I did last year during a rainy day. Worked really well.

Nice photo but it's missing a lawn chair and beer cooler under the umbrella. I'm doing chicken halves, BB's, and hot links on Sunday - just need to find some rub :roll:

I was gonna smoke some beef ribs but they weren't on sale this week but Pork Neck Bones were. Gonna try to smoke them and see how it works out. Of course there will be pictures...

Found some pork tenderloin riblets for $.99/#. Gonna smoke them and the neckbones tomorrow.. Gonna be a throw away parts weekend!

Two brisket flats, 6 slabs of babybacks and a few fatties. Hadn't planned on an early fatty but that's a damned fine idea! Think I might as well toss one on early too (3am). Eating dinner around 6pm. I'll only have 5 people counting myself so I'm hoping for awesome leftovers! Trouble is, I'm feeling like POOPIE tonight! Hope I can actually get the fark outta bed at 3am!

My final list. 4 chickens on first thing tomorrow. As soon as they are done 2 boston butts so I can get them out and pulled before midnight. 2 packer briskets go on at 2 PM and will foil, towel and cooler them and serve everything about 12:30 on Sunday. 25-35 is the expected crowd.
Also, 2 gallons of my Frijoles ala Charra, at least 1 fattie and maybe some pork riblets.

Here's what I'm cooking, for those of you who don't know...

Sounds like everyone has some good 'Q going this weekend!!! :D I'm getting ready to head out the door to the FBA competition in Okeechobee! Some of our Brothers will be there competing and I plan on "testing the waters" for future competition! Thankfully, all the rain that you TexaKans and MoFo's sent our way is subsiding and the day is looking real good!

Hopefully, I'll get some good photos to share with everyone and post them by tomorrow.

BigMista, let us know how the neckbones turn out. I am just not sure about those.....

4:30 am, the number one fatty and butt are on.

12# whole brisket and 3 slabs of pork spares for me. About 10 guests including myself. Sounds like leftovers to me. Started at 3am, is now 0930 and brisket is smelling rightous! Spares on about 1130 and dinner is served at about 5:30 tonight. Rain forecasted so may make for an interesting afternoon. Happy smoking brothers!

Neckbones went on at 10:00am. Riblets will probably go on about noon because they are so thin.

Back