The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-09-2011, 02:12 AM   #1
Maddog's
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How much room do you expect at a comp?

No, I'm serious. From your experiences, how much room are you NORMALLY granted at a competition? 10x20, 20x20, 15x20, more, less, what?
Are RV accomodations (hookups for water and/or sewer and/or electricity) available be they just space or the hookups, as well?
Yes. I understand that "It depends" is a common answer to these questions but what do you NORMALLY get where you compete, on average? Or what do your organizers shoot for?
Furthermore, what have you come to expect in terms of infrastructure support and by that I mean for your comp booth: Electricity? Water? Ash dump? Grease dump? Grey water dump? Wash facilities? Toilets? Showers? Massages? OK well, but seriously...
How many of your comps organize pot luck dinners on cook night?
What are you used to paying for entry?
What do you normally expect from that fee? (Do you normally get meat or other supplies from the hosts, organizers or sponsors?) On average?
And finally, the total prize fund, what have you come to expect?
I am a very active member of the PNWBA and I think they do one helluva good job with comps!!! But I don't get out much to other association sanctioned comps or other geographic areas and I wonder what the norm is where YOU compete. Thanks, in advance, for your feedback!

Unread 06-09-2011, 04:09 AM   #2
Vince RnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

In Arizona, we "normally" see 20' x 20' spaces as the standard size space in our area. Sometimes there is a charge for extra space and sometimes the venue is very large and can accommodate larger set-up/RVs with no extra charge. Power is "normally" available and is usually included in the entry fee but sometimes there is a $50 extra charge for it.

Ash, gray water and trash disposal are usually on site and sometimes there are folks working at the event who will pick these things up and deliver water & ice too.

Pot luck dinners happen sometimes but not very often.

Entry fees are usually in the $250 to $350 range, depending on the extras, and the prize funds are almost always $10,000 for that size fee.
Vince RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Vince nailed it 100%. 20x20 is the minimum that we usually needed and 20x30 was a more realistic size. In AZ 2010 it was always expected to have electricity, water, ash dump and ice (available for a price). We have seen a few AZ competitions offer showers (2 out of 10 in 2010 to my knowledge).

Like Vince said, entry fee is a fairly consistent $300 average and payouts hovered right around 10K for the most part in AZ. We've very rarely gotten meat or other supplies (besides the occasional 10-20lb bag of ice) from organizers/promoters. Sometimes, we would get a team goodie bag full of marginally useful stuff.

That's all I can offer.

Unread 06-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
redneck cooker
On the road to being a farker

Usually in Texas, it can be from 25x25 to as much as you need, it just depends on how the promoter is and where its being held. For the most part its about 40x40,

RV hook ups, water and electricity about 30% of the time, never grey or black water dump, and never seen a grease dump at a cook off.

There are several that have pot luck dinners on Friday evening, usually a new cook off trying to get feedback or generate growth.

Entry fee fro $60-150, most of the time that includes nothing but ability to cook, goody bags have just about gone by the way side form yrs back..

Unread 06-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I get what I pay for. And, as a cheap-@$$, thats usually the minimum offered, 20X20. Some great contests (Que for the Troops being the most recent) had 20X25 stalls, and it was luxurious!!! But, I have a smaller set up, and could, in a pinch, pull it off in 15X15.

Unread 06-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I need 31 feet. sometiems I pay for an extra spot sometimes I pass on the contest. They offer what they want and I decide if they get my business.

I need 30 amp power some give it and sometimes I run the generator. My choice just as it's my choice to go.

I've usually seen pot luick run by the teams. You put effort into making it a better time, it's not all the organizers.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Our event - BBQ @ The Beach, Raystown PA We have standard 20x30 sites with 10amp electricity and water hookups. Larger sites are available and anything more electric wise would need a generator.

We also have gray water dump centrally located, trash pickup, one bag of ice per day, grease dump, ash dump, and we are working to secure local hickory for those who want it. (like we did last year) We have showers and restroom facilities as well as portajohns in the works this year.

Our judges tent doubles as an area for a potluck (3-20x30 tents in a U shape) as well as a late night lake cruise on Friday night which the potluck can be held on.

The open grilling category includes 1lb of burger (i better confirm before I say for sure but we did that last year) as well as a peoples choice pulled pork, we are working to supply 1 butt per team. The prize pool will be similar to last year with custom made trophies

Unread 06-09-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I try to provide 20 wide 40 deep sites

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of questions--I'll tackle a couple.

Here in FBA land. 20 X 30 is most common. Sometimes larger.
A couple are less and we just don't go there.

20AMP power is normally within 50' or so, almost always within 100'. Some have 30 AMP or more--bless them. Water availability is the same.
Without that, we pass.

Almost all have grease and ash disposal, or instructions on how to properly dispose of them.
We expect trash pickup at the site unless "dumpsters" are nearby. We will not tote trash a quarter mile while the event staff cruises around in carts. (Pet Peeve)

Entry fees are creeping up. A couple are at $300 and many are $250. Sometimes the purse justifies the fee, sometimes not. A contest near to me (40 Miles) has gone to $275 with a relatively low purse. One nickle higher and we will pass on it and we have gone 5 of the last 6 years. I think this year they drew over $12,000 in entry fees with a purse of around $7500 if I remember correctly. And, we never saw one member of the staff anywhere near to competitors area.

A couple are $200 with a nice purse--we go there for sure!
An entry fee above $250 needs a purse of $10,000 or more or we pass.
We are not going to fund the event with little chance of even a fair return if we cook well that day.

We are getting more events with permanent bathroom facilities. Not necessary, but a real treat.

The short version of all the above:
We do not need to be "coddled" but we need certain things; water, electric, adequate space, and a reasonable balance of fees and purse.
That's just what we expect.

JMHO

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^ what Tim said above

Unread 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Here in the Mid Atlantic the trend seems to be offer a 20x20 or 20x25 space standard with more space for an additional fee (usually $10 per linear foot). Minimal electrical service is included with that about 75% of the time, bigger service is usually available for an additional fee. (I'm seeing a trend here)

Entry fees here are creeping up here as well - $250 is about average, but when you throw in the site extras it's closer to $350.

Ash and grease dumps are usually standard, trash varies.

As far as awards go - I like to see at least 80% of the entry fees returned as cash prizes. 100% or more if an event has major sponsors.

The most important thing to me is that I know all of this before sending in my entry fee.

What I don't like

+1 to Kaplin's "staff in carts" peeve. If you've got enough money to have a bunch of staff people aimlessly cruising around in carts, why the hell am I lugging water in a 5 gallon bucket or 50 lbs of ice 1/4 mile?

Surprises in the cook's information package
- Tell me before I send in my entry fee that there are significant entry / exit restrictions. additional fees, parking restrictions / HD requirements etc.

Jamming the competitors together when there is no need. If you've got a huge amount of open space why are you limiting the competitors to 20x20's?

Leaving gaps in the rows on early load-in - Not all of us can get there Thursday night. It irks me when I get to your comp and you tell me that my space is in between 2 RV's in the center of two already filled in rows with a 8 fool alley and I have to try and put a 15 foot trailer in there. Fill the sites up sequentially as competitors come in.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

One more pet peeve.

If you have an event that often turns into a mud bog (we have at least 2 that I know of), have a tractor or 2 handy to pull us out.
Both of the wet venues do just that and we appreciate it

Minor thing, but important for those of us who do not have 4 wheel drive trucks with mud tires.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

KC is usually blessed with some larger venue spots, but I typically see at least 20 x 25 or 20 x 30. 20 x 30 is fantastic, perfect to let me keep the truck hooked up to the trailer if its a flat spot.

I expect to have some form of electricity included, preferably 20 AMP at a minimum and 30 AMP a big plus (willing to spend the extra for the 30 AMP if its an option, just don't make it crazy), bathrooms at a reasonable distance from each of the competitors, and ash containers. Trash collection is almost a must, or have trash cans near most competitors. A plus is a free bag of ice or two, and for those that charge, a reasonable charge for ice (we've all see the $5 plus small bags of ice at contests, wtf)

Unread 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
smalls65
Full Fledged Farker

At least 20 x 20 with basic water and power suits us well..we have a small set-up...But I DO expect power and water to be included with the basic package...If power is an extra charge, then I usually pass on the contest...

Unread 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Lots of questions--I'll tackle a couple.

Here in FBA land. 20 X 30 is most common. Sometimes larger.
A couple are less and we just don't go there.

20AMP power is normally within 50' or so, almost always within 100'. Some have 30 AMP or more--bless them. Water availability is the same.
Without that, we pass.

Almost all have grease and ash disposal, or instructions on how to properly dispose of them.
We expect trash pickup at the site unless "dumpsters" are nearby. We will not tote trash a quarter mile while the event staff cruises around in carts. (Pet Peeve)

Entry fees are creeping up. A couple are at $300 and many are $250. Sometimes the purse justifies the fee, sometimes not. A contest near to me (40 Miles) has gone to $275 with a relatively low purse. One nickle higher and we will pass on it and we have gone 5 of the last 6 years. I think this year they drew over $12,000 in entry fees with a purse of around $7500 if I remember correctly. And, we never saw one member of the staff anywhere near to competitors area.

A couple are $200 with a nice purse--we go there for sure!
An entry fee above $250 needs a purse of $10,000 or more or we pass.
We are not going to fund the event with little chance of even a fair return if we cook well that day.

We are getting more events with permanent bathroom facilities. Not necessary, but a real treat.

The short version of all the above:
We do not need to be "coddled" but we need certain things; water, electric, adequate space, and a reasonable balance of fees and purse.
That's just what we expect.

JMHO

TIM
Ditto for me. Thanks for typing it all out Tim.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->