The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ribeyes... It's whats' for dinner (w/pr0n)

I decided to cook a couple steaks for me and the gf for dinner tonight... I picked up a pack of two 1-lb ribeyes that looked pretty decent...

To go along with the meat, I put some fat vidalia onion slabs on the grill and a couple ears of corn...

My gf's steak has to go on early because she won't touch it unless it shoe-leather well done. Maybe I should buy cheaper steaks for her because I bet the all taste the same!

The onions were drizzled with olive oil and lightly dusted with Emeril's Essence seasoning. The corn was just soaked in water for about 30 minutes and tossed right on the grill. I cooked them over direct heat and then moved them over when I put the steaks on...

I whipped up some yeast roll dough in the bread machine and put them in the oven while the steaks were grilling...

The cast iron grates on the Weber Kettle make nice sear marks, but I might not have had the grills quite hot enough when I put the steaks on. This kettle is new to me and I don't have a lot of experience cooking on it yet. The steaks were delicious. I cook mine to medium rare, and with these, that worked out to about 4.5-5 minutes per side. I took the steaks out of the fridge about 40 minutes or so before I was ready to put them on the grill to let them equalize to near room temperature. I seasoned them with coarse kosher sea salt and a little black pepper...

The meal was tasty!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Great looking supper.

Saddles BBQ Bistro

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

nice grub!!!
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

yummy.

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
jeffie7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Awwww those are cut widdle ribeyes.

Salt and pepper is all you need. Ribeyes have enough fat that they're just friggin awesome as long as the salt is in place.

I'd say the grill could have been a bit higher, I try to blast my inferred grill as hot as I can get it, I Also like to cook my steaks from straight out of the fridge, I want to char the outside as much as I can without over cooking the middle.

I either talk with the butcher at the local market and ask for 2" thick ribeyes (if guest are coming over) or a 2.5" ribeye if just for me and my wife.

I also buy whole slabs of ribeyes from sams club and cut them myself.

To this day, I still get better steaks when cooking them on a nice highend skillet or a cheap cast iron skillet indoors. I love having full blown char all over the steak rather then grill marks.

Even when eating out at high end steak houses, the best steaks I've ever had were cooked in a pan.

2.5" thick, any larger and it's pointless, you have a roast.
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Shoeshineboy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Lookin good!! Ribeyes are the best. Where did you get the grates from?
Shoeshineboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #7
Dallas Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice job! But yeah, get that grill a tad hotter for better searing.

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #8
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie7 View Post

Even when eating out at high end steak houses, the best steaks I've ever had were cooked in a pan.
I'll have to give the pan a try sometime with a steak. I have a couple good cast iron pans that would do the trick. That might be a good opportunity to 'blacken' one sometime. How do you deal with all the fat drippings from a ribeye when pan searing them? It seems like it would be a lot of run-off.

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #9
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

Yours look GREAT! Cook the CHICK a hamburger steak and give her a bottle of ketchup.She won't know the difference. Just funnin,no disrespect intended.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
Mark Stanton
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice ribeyes. Corn on the grills is always good too. Rolls are awesome. Nice lookin meal!

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #11
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

Put the lid of your kettle on slightly ajar if you want to get it ripping hot. The extra area for exhaust gas will have your fire red hot in 5 minutes and put a killer sear on anything.

Same for the WSM too really. Increase the chimney effect by letting more exhaust gas flow and you'll get a hotter fire.
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so (you might have to lift off one of the grate sections and break up some of the wood embers to get things moving along). This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.

I also like to add a coat of fresh ground ancho chili powder (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
jeffie7
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
I'll have to give the pan a try sometime with a steak. I have a couple good cast iron pans that would do the trick. That might be a good opportunity to 'blacken' one sometime. How do you deal with all the fat drippings from a ribeye when pan searing them? It seems like it would be a lot of run-off.
All that fat ends up frying the steak.

=)

Extra crust. MMmmmmmmmmm
jeffie7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
Looks awesome! I have similar cast iron grates on my kettle, and can let you in on a few tips I have for searing. Since I always have chunks of wood lying around for my WSM, once I pour a chimney full of lump in the kettle I also add about 6-8 chunks of wood. I let this burn for about an extra 20 minutes or so. This serves 3 purposes: The wood embers add flavor, the flame from the wood will burn off all the residue from the previous cook, and your grates will get nice and hot for searing. Once I have a good sear on both sides I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill until done.

I also like to add a coat of ground ancho chilies (along with kosher salt and pepper) to all my steaks. Gives it a nice color and crust, as well as some flavor. Here is a porterhouse I grilled this weekend:
Show off

Id hit both those plates.

Nice job guys

Unread 06-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Here's the recipe for the yeast rolls...

Ingredients go in the bread machine pan in this order:

1 cup water
2 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Put the bread machine on the dough cycle and run this batch of ingredients until the cycle is complete... remove the dough from the bread pan and form a dough mound on a lightly floured surface. Let sit for 15 minutes or so covered.

Divide the dough into about 14 equal size pieces and form them into small 2" balls. Place the dough balls on a greased cookie sheet. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. You can brush the top of the dough balls with melted butter at this point if you wish. Cook 12-15 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 375° You can also brush the tops with melted butter again if you like after they come out of the oven... serve hot...

Tags
Grilled Corn, grilled onions, ribeye, yeast rolls