The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Brisk Fat Question???

Ok my current Brisket technique involves separating the point and flat prior to cooking. I trim the fat cap down on the flat very thin. So thin that by the time it is done it is well rendered and very tender. It actually tastes fantastic if you leave it on, but I have been raking it off because I was afraid the judges might not like it, no matter how good it tastes.

Should I consider leaving it on as long as it isn't rubbery or too noticeable?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Perhaps just semantics, but when I hear you says "raking" it off, I think of quite a bit of fat.

Personally, a quick slice with a sharp knife once sliced, takes care of any fat issues I might have and I take almost all of it off.

But I tanked brisket in my last competition, so take that with a grain of salt.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

How does it taste when it is cold? Is it still fantastic? I would bet not, and that is how it will be by the time the judges get to it. Leaving fat on is a mistake IMO.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
How does it taste when it is cold? Is it still fantastic? I would bet not, and that is how it will be by the time the judges get to it. Leaving fat on is a mistake IMO.
^^^^this^^^^

Old 06-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

the best brisket placing i ever got was when i did not seperate the flat from the point and turned in slices that had the flat on top connected to the piont with a thick layer of fat. that was hidden by the other slices and by burnt ends on the first one. fourth place.
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd vote to take it off. There's a lot of people who are turned off by a bite of fat. Five judges may love it, but it only takes one or two who don't. You lose.
Master Purveyors, Grizzly Coolers,
West Coast Offense, BBQ Guru, Butcher BBQ,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I'm gonna experiment with this. I will see what happens when the fat cools off.

Just so we are clear other than the intense flavor this veeeeeeeerry thin layer of cooked fat is almost undetectable. I'll see if it stays that way after cooling off.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

post some pics...

Old 06-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Fat is flavor
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Still Smokin
Full Fledged Farker

I scrape mine off, got an 8th (of 26) and a 3rd (of 62) on my only 2 comps this year
Still Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #11
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I separate as well...down to bare meat on the top (get rid of all the silver skin)...1/4 or so fat on the bottom (it renders out)...1st place briskie in Langley, BC...
MAK 1 Star General...
MAK 2 Star General...
MAK 3 Star General...the one to rule them all!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

I seperate the piont and flat when I trim. I trim ALL fat off the middle of the flat. I inject n apply rub on the flat. I think there's enough marbling & coligen (sp) in the flat to keep it plenty moist. That way ya got an awsome smoke ring around all your slices. (of course they don't judge on that) Use those in the front of your box and slice towards the fat weather it be the front or the back of your flat. Whatever is best. If that makes sense.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #13
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll leave a quarter inch or so on the flat. If it renders, great.. if not, I don't mind trimming the fat off the slices prior to boxing either.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I'd vote to take it off. There's a lot of people who are turned off by a bite of fat. Five judges may love it, but it only takes one or two who don't. You lose.
Q-Dat, I'll speak from the one judge at the table who happens to HATE fat; I find it fairly disgusting. The problem simply is that it's not up to the judge to remove the fat before taking a bite. At home I'd just pinch-off the fat and go on, no big deal. At a comp I'm required to eat it. Sorry, you'd take a 9 right down to a 6 in texture and possibly a 5 or 6 in taste. I really REALLY despise beef fat. Mind you, if it's been rendered (ala. its now gone), that's fine. I'd scrape any remnants off before turn-in. Actually, we (as a team) DO (scrape the bottom).

One of the main keys in competitions judged like this is trying not to piss off any judge; dont offend them. That's why it should never be too spicy, or too bland, or too sweet, or too salty, or have any fat on it whatsoever.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Warm beef fat is all well and good, but at room temperature it is just gross. Since you only have so much control over the temp of the product by the time the judge takes that bite, I'd strongly recommend getting rid of it. If you do leave it on, I'd recommend putting the slices in the box fat side down. It's just not visually appealing to see it on the top.