oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Default So I am down to two choices

Ok guys based on all of your input and all my homework I am down to two choices. The Lang60 and the Bubba Grill 250-R. My question is which is more important to all of you, the added storage space on the Lang or the slide out racks and propane starter of the Bubba? Also has anyone had the experience of cooking on both? Are there big differences? Thanks in advance!

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Since you are asking, I think sleep during an event is important and with either one of these you will be up feeding them all night. If I had to make a choice I would pick the lang. I have a lang but try not to use it during a comp. I want a good night sleep at a comp.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Another vote for Lang

There are techniques for longer stretches of power naps (3-4 hours)

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
bigjonsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

I have the Bubba grill with the whole side of storage space. It is about 2.5 by 7' wide. It also has the 2 burners with the 2 tank propane storage. I have had it for 6 months now and have used it a ton already. If you want to know any more info, feel free to PM me.

Of course your going to have guys with langs, say Langs, and guys with Bubba say Bubba.

Bubba Grills 250 Reverse Flow
Backwoods Party
Chargriller Offset
[COLOR=Black]Maverick [/COLOR]PT100 Pen
Maverick ET-732
Maverick ET-73
Late Night Hoggers Competition BBQ Team
[URL="http://www.bigjonsbbq.com"]www.bigjonsbbq.com[/URL]
bigjonsBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbqin fool View Post
Ok guys based on all of your input and all my homework I am down to two choices. The Lang60 and the Bubba Grill 250-R. My question is which is more important to all of you, the added storage space on the Lang or the slide out racks and propane starter of the Bubba? Also has anyone had the experience of cooking on both? Are there big differences? Thanks in advance!
I have used both, actually. Even though I own a Lang 1160 (sorta between a 60 and an 84), I have more cooking experience on a Bubba. They're both great. The folks that use the starter on the Bubba love it. I never used it much, so it really was kinda extra noise if you will. The fire box on the Lang is bigger. It allowed me to make my own wood grate and set it up higher so that now the air intake are actually completely below the fire.

I purchased the Lang when I was looking for a Bubba, so it was kinda by accident really.

I like the handles (on the expanded steel) and closing mechanisms better on the Bubba, but I like the larger fire box of the Lang. I think the Bubba will have slightly more grill space than the current Lang 60's because of the top shelf. However, if you're going to do a small hog you wont be able to fit it through the 2 doors of the Bubba... You'll have PLENTY of space on both for KCBS, FBA, etc. With MBN you'll be hard pressed to do more than one category on either, particularly the Lang because of the slightly smaller shelf space on the top. We do ribs and shoulder in MBN on the Lang 1160 and we use every extra inch that this model gives us (it has the larger top shelf mounted with C slides) but overlap the top shelf a little using large cookie sheets...

They're so very similar, and they each have slight advantages over the other, it's really more a personal choice.

I love my Lang, and if I had to trade it in, for me, I'd get another Lang. However, Lonnie is a SUPERB guy. Oh, by the way, he won Memphis In May Ribs a few weeks back on one of his smokers....
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok guys. After talking with both Ben and Lonnie and talking it over with the wife I am going to get a bubba! I wanna thank everyone again for your valued input and all your help. Will be posting pictures when I get it!

[COLOR=blue]Extremely Durable, Fast and Amazingly Accurate Maverick Pro Temp PT-100 Thermometer & ET-732[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Found new homes: [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Modded Brinkmann SNP(it's finally holding temp!), 18.5" Weber kettle[/COLOR]

Old 06-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

And you have guys on the site here you can contact if you have questions or issues.

Congratulations on a fine choice! Be sure and post the pictures.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
Lake Dogs

I'll give Lonnie grief next competition he whips my butt about a finders fee!

No, seriously, I'm glad you're getting a SIGNIFICANTLY better smoker than you were looking at earlier. And, I'm glad Lonnie got the business. If you're not satisfied with that smoker, I'd be extremely surprised.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
bigjonsBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I'll give Lonnie grief next competition he whips my butt about a finders fee!

No, seriously, I'm glad you're getting a SIGNIFICANTLY better smoker than you were looking at earlier. And, I'm glad Lonnie got the business. If you're not satisfied with that smoker, I'd be extremely surprised.
I agree with Lake Dogs, great pit.

Backwoods Party
Chargriller Offset
Maverick ET-732
Maverick ET-73

Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
redneck cooker

Good desicion, hope you enjoy it...

Old 06-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #11
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Since you have made a decision, what qualities of the Bubba line made the decision easier for you?

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Since you have made a decision, what qualities of the Bubba line made the decision easier for you?
The slide out racks were a big factor for me. I don't plan on cooking whole hogs so that kind of narrowed the decision down for me. Plus the propane starter is a nice added bonus if I decide to use it. Also like the double doors and double temp gauges. And finally all the possible add ons.

[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
bigjonsBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I think the Bubba will have slightly more grill space than the current Lang 60's because of the top shelf. However, if you're going to do a small hog you wont be able to fit it through the 2 doors of the Bubba...

I have a Bubba 250, and have not done a whole hog yet, but I am planning on one or 2 this summer. I was just wondering why I would not be able to fit it on my pit? Both doors open wide with the locking mechanism, and there is no center bar, so all I have to do is slide my top 2 racks out, then put porky on and go. The 2 doors overlap.

One other thing, I asked Lonnie to put one of the locking mechanisms on the left door to keep them secure while driving. I was just wondering if that has become standard now? I remember him telling me back in December that they didn't do it because the doors were heavy, but they don't have a lock like a Lang or Meadow Creek.

Can't wait to see some pics!

Backwoods Party
Chargriller Offset
Maverick ET-732
Maverick ET-73

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

I'm really enjoying my Lang, and I'm sure you'll love your Bubba Grill.
One thing, be very careful with the gas assist. I'm sure they're more safe now, but I 'bout blew myself up with my home built stickburner 7 years ago.
Master Purveyors, Grizzly Coolers,
West Coast Offense, 3 Eyz,
BBQ Guru, Butcher BBQ,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 04:46 AM   #15
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
I'm really enjoying my Lang, and I'm sure you'll love your Bubba Grill.
One thing, be very careful with the gas assist. I'm sure they're more safe now, but I 'bout blew myself up with my home built stickburner 7 years ago.
It's really just there for back up for me in case I'm running behind on starting my fire for some ungodly reason. Thanks for the heads up

[COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR]