喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

View Poll Results: Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Carnival Food" Throwdown?
Militant83 22 20.56%
Gore 5 4.67%
ecode 22 20.56%
caseydog 11 10.28%
SmokinAussie 2 1.87%
deguerre 31 28.97%
Redhot 9 8.41%
Joe Zukes 5 4.67%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #31
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Drat! I didn't get to vote for ecode! "Poll is closed". I was really hoping she would close in so we could have a tie. I love ties even more than Zeros. Or wins.
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #32
bigabyte

Hmmm.....I leave you guys all alone for 10 days and Guerry wins again?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #33
caseydog

Who's leg do you have to hump to get get a win around here?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #34
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Who's leg do you have to hump to get get a win around here?
I might be going out on a limb here, but I'm just guessing based on the outcome of this TD ... Redhot's?
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.

Last edited by Gore; 06-19-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #35
prudog
On the road to being a farker

In spite of my hasty vote, I have been researching tzatziki and lamb since this TD. It flung a serious craving on me! I am going to give this a go with ground lamb first (fatty/loaf style) for convenience after some reading. Perhaps I have been ignoring the "gyros" offerings, because I don't ever remember seeing it in any carnival settings (hence my snobby vote ). I would blame it on my location, but then again, I am in the next town up the river from Deguerre's former location.

So... does one really need to strain the yogurt or just whip it up like there is no tomorrow? Use mint and/or dill? If only we had a good Greek place around. In typical fashion, lots of outside-the-box (for me) inspiration here in the TD with all the entries.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #36
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudog View Post
In spite of my hasty vote, I have been researching tzatziki and lamb since this TD. It flung a serious craving on me! I am going to give this a go with ground lamb first (fatty/loaf style) for convenience after some reading. Perhaps I have been ignoring the "gyros" offerings, because I don't ever remember seeing it in any carnival settings (hence my snobby vote ). I would blame it on my location, but then again, I am in the next town up the river from Deguerre's former location.

So... does one really need to strain the yogurt or just whip it up like there is no tomorrow? Use mint and/or dill? If only we had a good Greek place around. In typical fashion, lots of outside-the-box (for me) inspiration here in the TD with all the entries.
There's a huge Greek population here in Memphis and they have a festival every year. I just Buy the Fage brand of Greek yogurt - it's pre-strained - and go to town. I much prefer using the dill, fresh is best, and letting it "marry" overnight is good too. The ground lamb would be a great start but just don't overcook it. I feel pretty safe with the lamb even if ground and have no problem going medium rare on it. Pull it at 140 IT and you should be OK. Enjoy!
"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #37
bigabyte

I'm with Guerry, find the Greek Yogurt if youo can. Otherwise the best you can do is get regular yogurt (not lowfat or nonfat, you want the fat) and strain it. It's not hard, and it makes a huge difference in flavor, texture, etc. Tatziki is not right with thin American style yogurt, it's much too thin and lacks flavor.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #38
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudog View Post

These TDs are all in fun and that's as good a reason as any not to vote for someone. It's almost impossible for me to choose and I have to resort to some silly methods sometimes. I almost voted for Bill this time, simply because his son was in the picture! Remember that these TDs are for entertainment purposes, at least the most enjoyable ones are. I really am posting here to second what Guerry and Chris are saying. Get the Fage full-fat yogurt. It is the best stuff I've had in this country. Do NOT use raspberry flavored Yoplait, strained or unstrained. If you check out the lamb throwdown I posted a lamb fattie. Sliced and browned in a frying pan, this made pretty tasty gyros. Recipe is here along with a recipe for some Nova-Scotia style Donairs from Millsy on page 2:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101278

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #39
Campfire Girl
On the road to being a farker

Gentlemen, Mr. Bigabyte is right about the flavor thing! But I did not see anyone mention how to strain the yogurt.

Strained yogurt is allowing the whey to separate out. You put the yogurt is a wire strainer lined with a paper towel, then put it over an empty bowl in the fridge and the whey will drip through.

What is left is a very thick yogurt.

You can do all sorts of things with it then.

It makes a very good lowfat cream sauce or gravy. But if you intend to thicken it with something like flour later in a sauce you should mix the flour in the yogurt first. If you don't it will probably break.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
bigabyte

Excellent points Gore and Campfire Girl. I've been using "real" food for so long now I forget how the vast majority of people use fake yogurt that is thickened with food starch or corn starch and has added sugars to make it taste better than the crap it really is.

If you are going to strain your yogurt, make sure it is real yogurt. Look at the ingredients and it should be quite obvious. It should just be milk and cultures. That's it. Otherwise you're buying some sort of yogurt flavored pudding. You don't want to strain pudding.

Duh.

Last edited by bigabyte; 06-21-2011 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: punctual punctuation
Old 06-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
deguerre

True dat. There are waaaaaay more fun things to do with puddin'...
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #42
bigabyte

I like nanners in mine.

Duh.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #43
deguerre

Heh heh...nanner puddin'
Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #44
Gore
Phizzy

One of the best treats for me is simply stir in a spoonful of white sugar -- yogurt is just a bit too sour for me. This is extremely common in Spain -- served as dessert in restaurants even. With the full-fat Fage yogurt, it is great. Can also add honey, but I prefer just sugar. Tastes so much better than the artificially flavored stuff. You can also use a coffee filter to strain yogurt, but we actually own a yogurt strainer.

I haven't really been able to confirm it, but in Europe I was told by a few people that Yoplait is not actually yogurt, but quark. Quark is a cheese with the consistency of yogurt that is common in Northern Europe.