The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #1
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default I Can't Believe I Forgot...

...to apply my final layer of rub.

Finished 3rd at a local one-day event over the weekend. Was pretty happy with the result until...on the drive home it dawned on me that I forgot to apply the final layer of rub to our tri-tip!! I think this may have cost us a shot at 2nd place!!

I've been practicing our comp tri-tip for months. We use a beefy marinade, a wet rub , and then a final layer of spice (at least that's the plan). I think it is a killer piece of meat. At the comp I was shocked when we got a 9th place finish (I know how this tastes when done properly, we've eaten it so much it just didn't register when I sampled a piece at the contest). Almost drove off the road on the way home when I realized I didn't apply the rub.

Got me wondering:

What have you forgotten at a comp? How did this impact your place in the standings? And, most important (at least for the way that I feel now), how did you get over making the mistake??

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Oh, man. It happens. And it pretty much happens to everybody, sooner or later -- speaking as a WSM team who once forgot the freaking charcoal chimney.

Rest assured, you'll probably not forget THAT step again.

We went on to make glorious NEW omissions.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

This happened to us last year at a comp. Got first in Brisket so that made us forget all of our mistakes.

Ran out of Rib Rub
Forgot our pork injection
When we went to wrap our pork we lost all the liquid we use when we wrap.

I think to answer your question we all look at each other and say, "Its only BBQ."
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

last one forgot my dishsoap, brushes, and my injector. PLUS i was all alone, so i couldn't even run to the store!
fortunately i was in my hometown and got an emergency delivery.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
SteerCrazy
Full Fledged Farker

Last competition I forgot my pork rub so I used a thin layer of my rib rub with a nice coat of my brisket rub. Remember reading on here about how a lot of people use a brisket rub on their pork so I thought what the heck. Was mad at myself and thought the worst but I did end up getting a call, which was a total surprise.
Traeger Junior with upgraded Ortech Digital Therm
#2 La Caja China
SteerCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote