The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-23-2005, 12:51 PM   #16
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204
I have backed off starting at 8 AM and will wait until the afternoon around 3. I can always sleep it off Sunday afternoon.

How about I put the cooler in the oven?
Now that, would be a fine example of Aggie engineering! :D

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #17
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
I have backed off starting at 8 AM and will wait until the afternoon around 3. I can always sleep it off Sunday afternoon.

dont laugh.. Although in the oven is a little wierd... When i did the 2 pork butts last weekend, i put them both in an igloo cooler with no dead airspace. Then put the cooler next to the radiator and threw my jacket over it. 11 hours later the butts were still at 146 and 151.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #18
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Quote:

dont laugh.. Although in the oven is a little wierd... When i did the 2 pork butts last weekend, i put them both in an igloo cooler with no dead airspace. Then put the cooler next to the radiator and threw my jacket over it. 11 hours later the butts were still at 146 and 151.
you go to A&M too?

Unread 02-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #19
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil
Based on his plan he has somerwhere around 12 plus hours to hold those briskets, that's a lot to ask. The cooling techniques are per the heath dept code for food service. To hold for 12 plus hours with a heat source will give him dry brisket.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #20
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I think you guys are splitting hairs. I have held briskets in a moist roaster in the oven or in an electric roaster for over 18 hours at 180 degrees and never had one come out dry. All you need to do is make sure that the bottom of the roaster has liquid about 1/2 inch deep. I even drove from Wichita to Cedar Rapids with two hot ones in a cooler and they stayed moist and good. They were about 180 degrees when I put them in the cooler.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 07:12 PM   #21
BBQchef33

agree with wayne. 3 briskets wrapped and cooler will easily hold for 8-10 hours. Never said to hold for 12 hours witha heat source. Recommended JGH adjust his start time so meats come out after midnight or later to reduce hold time ...so now hes starting at 3pm. If hes doing packer cuts, hes lookin at 10-12 hours cook time. If they come out 3am,,... with a good cooler, I'm sure he can safely cooler them without temps dropping below 140. Just needs a good cooler... no old styrofoam 7/11 special.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #22
chad

Jim;

I'm with you. It's safer and less hassle to chill the brisket and then handle it safely and quickly for serving.

I'm doing five briskets and chicken for 65 in May and my plan is to rub the brisket Thursday, cook, slice, sauce and pan it up on Friday and then chill it. I'll be grilling the chicken halves on Saturday and only want to have to reheat the brisket and serve it.

Now, I've got refer space for the brisket - that might not be the case for everyone.

Just my $.02 worth.

PS: I've done this same routine for the past two 4th of July celebrations for 200 and 400 people. I haven't poisoned anyone and haven't wasted any beef.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 07:46 PM   #23
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
Jim;

I'm with you. It's safer and less hassle to chill the brisket and then handle it safely and quickly for serving.

I'm doing five briskets and chicken for 65 in May and my plan is to rub the brisket Thursday, cook, slice, sauce and pan it up on Friday and then chill it. I'll be grilling the chicken halves on Saturday and only want to have to reheat the brisket and serve it.

PS: I've done this same routine for the past two 4th of July celebrations for 200 and 400 people. I haven't poisoned anyone and haven't wasted any beef.
The difference here is your serving the next day, JG is serving the same day. if ya Gotta hold for more than 12hours, i would go with chilling it. but hes lookin at a 8-10 hour hold.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-23-2005, 08:03 PM   #24
chad

Just keep it hot or cold - in between is not good.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #25
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Phil
Maybe I read it wrong but I thought he was pulling it off at 8pm Sat and serving Sunday afternoon.

Wayne
Your cooking method isn't classsic brisket I'm not saying it's bad but there is a difference between reheating and holding meat in liquid for 18 hours. The texture is not the same.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 08:56 PM   #26
BBQchef33

he was... but i recommended he push start times to later in the day so they come off after midnight. if he pulls at 2-3am, then he can hold in a cooler till 11 or noon. if it needs a push because temps are getting near 140, a few moinutes in a warm oven just to re-establish the heat load will get him to noon.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #27
Jeff_in_KC

I'm going to get a new cooler for holding my meat (get your minds out of the gutter!). We have one at work that I believe is made by Igloo that's supposed to keep cold for up to five days without adding more ice. It's GOTTA be better insulated and thus would hold heat longer for foiled meat...
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 09:59 PM   #28
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Went to sams tonight to buy the briskets and butts. Out of butts completely and all the briskets were 10lbs and stiff as boards, could not bend them hardly at all. Ended up going to HEB and they at severl 13 pounders that bent tip to tip with ease and the flats were fairly thick. The had Butts for 99cents. So that is 2 13 lbs briskets, 2 11lb butts and 4 4lb chickens.

The chickens will be brined Friday and cooked saturday AM and chilled. The butts will be brined as well.

I sincerely appreciate all the discussion on this topic.

Unread 02-23-2005, 10:10 PM   #29
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Default Classic-Schmassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Wayne
Your cooking method isn't classsic brisket I'm not saying it's bad but there is a difference between reheating and holding meat in liquid for 18 hours. The texture is not the same.
Of course the texture is different. I usually serve it shreded or sliced about 1/2 inch thick. It fact it really wants to be shredded. My family loves it and demands it when I fix beef. It also fits his schedule if he does not want to cook all night. However, I would never serve anything to a big group that I had not perfected with a few test cook offs. In reality he should probably fix it the same way that he has in the past and try all the suggestions with smaller batches and a less critical group of dinners.

I plan to fix a more classic brisket this weekend. When I cook it I will start in the morning and cook it to tenderness like was mentioned earlier, and we will simply eat it when it is done.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2005, 10:26 PM   #30
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Chopped beef brisket is a classic sandwich. Usually made from trimmings or brisket that is being carried over to the next day. Wayne, your technique sounds similar.