The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default should i sell my stoker?

hi everyone, throwing this out there for some opinions...

i really, really, like using the stoker on my WSM. i set up the cooker @ 260*, run an errand, come back, 260*. i throw on meat at midnight, wake up in the morning, 2farkin60*! it's just awesome. it's also SO DARN ACCURATE. if you want to cook at 277* you can do that, if you want to cook at 214* you can do that. just awesome. the techie stuff, which i haven't implemented yet is very cool too.
BUT.
i really, really don't like needing AC(or to purchase a duramax), fear of rain(yes, i built a box and a fan cover, but still), fear of it konking out in the middle of the night at a comp, and stupidly, setting it up and breaking it down(i know, it's super duper simple, but still, 1 more thing to do). it's also 1 more piece of equipment i need to care for.

as i get to know the WSM better, i'm finding i can lock it in at pretty much any temperature(ish) naturally for quite an extended period of time. 225, 250, 275, etc.
i have also found, if i want to cook high heat(above 300), natural aspiration of the fire works better than with the stoker(and i do have the upgraded fan).

what are some thoughts? i can't make up my mind.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
Frank Grimes
Full Fledged Farker

I don't have a stoker or any other temp control tool. I can see how they would be very handy. But I can dial my WSM in on about a 10 degree range with no problem, so I don't see the need for myself to spend the money on one. I did overnight butts last Friday, got them on and an hour later the WSM was at 250. When I woke up 7 hours later, it was at 253. It wasn't windy, so that helped, but under ideal conditions I can lock it in pretty good.
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
Sledneck
Time Out

i give you $50 for it
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

keep the $50.

i'll trade you you're 13th place chicken recipe for it.

frank, thanks for your input.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

I agree,they are just gadgets.Nothin wrong with that if you like em.If you learn your cooker you don't need em.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
mjl
On the road to being a farker

Keep it. Peace of mind on overnight cooks at home, no need to worry about wind shifts, or live ash blowing out of your cooker. As for comps, it is just as nice to set it and forget it. Also, when we have gotten behind our time line at comps, it is nice to turn the controller up, and get to our higher temp much more quickly than our cookers would have in a normally aspirated set up.
Just food for thought
ML

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

dont sell it. give it to me
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Seems you enjoy it, so you may end up regretting getting rid of it. Unless you get something cheaper like the Pitmaster IQ and use the extra cash for some meat!
JS-TX is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
jimithing78
Full Fledged Farker

I see you're in New England so maybe there's too much snow in the Fall/Winter for you to smoke but here in Texas we do it year round. It's just more difficult in the winter mostly because of the wind but also because of the cold. That's where having an Ique is going to make my life easier and give me some peace of mind.

I'm sure I'll use it during the summer sometimes too but I really bought it for cooking in adverse conditions.

Unread 06-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #10
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
really, really, like using the stoker on my WSM. i set up the cooker @ 260*, run an errand, come back, 260*. i throw on meat at midnight, wake up in the morning, 2farkin60*! it's just awesome. it's also SO DARN ACCURATE. if you want to cook at 277* you can do that, if you want to cook at 214* you can do that.
Keep it. I think the above quote says it all.

Unread 06-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
RevZiLLa
is One Chatty Farker

You like it. Keep it

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Keep it, it's paid for and it sounds like you think you might want to use it in the future.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #13
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

not sure if the CFM rating is enough for my stick burner but I'd trade you something for it. I've been interested in trying one of these but only for s&g's. My pit stays pretty solid with my vent settings but I could potentially extend the burn if I loaded lump and relied on the stoker to "throttle" air right? PM me if you are interested.

Unread 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Keep it!

Unread 06-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Rottie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
I see you're in New England so maybe there's too much snow in the Fall/Winter for you to smoke but here in Texas we do it year round. It's just more difficult in the winter mostly because of the wind but also because of the cold. That's where having an Ique is going to make my life easier and give me some peace of mind.

I'm sure I'll use it during the summer sometimes too but I really bought it for cooking in adverse conditions.

The wind and the cold, That's funny. Try winter in NW Ind. Or northern MN.
Rottie is offline   Reply With Quote