The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Arrow BBQ Brethren "Love/Hate" Throwdown!

Our new category is...

"Love/Hate!"

Image from The Inquisitr!

...as chosen by bluetang, the winner of the On A Stick Throwdown!

The idea behind this one is to make something you hated as a kid, but love today!

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 6/3 through Sunday 6/19.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 6/19.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 6/20 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 6/24. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the Carnival Food Throwdown until Sunday night 6/5 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Buffalo Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Oooh, that's a good one bluetang! I gotta think on that one 'cause there was a lot I just didn't have the chance to try when I was a kid but love now.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
ecode
On the road to being a farker

This is a fun one.
Who'd of thought that being a picky eater as a kid would pay off. I hated the usual things kids hate like blue cheese, mushrooms, spinach and liver. I thought that my parents were cruel for even suggesting that we try them, but I also hated onions,tomatoes and steak that was in any way pink and how I would moan if it looked bloody. But all that's changed. I even like goat cheese now but that only happened a couple of years ago. Maybe I can come up with something that has all of the things I uses to hate in it?
OK, I'm off to think. Thanks for the inspiration.

MY Primo Oval, Fire Pit, Revolation Chocolate Temperer, Nesco Coffee Roaster,
Bray Coucke Mandolin, 2 KitchenAid Mixers, Cuisinart 14-cup Food Processor, Pie Irons
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #4
bluetang

I so agree with the cruel thing for sure, well at the time. Those were some long friggin' nights, as there was no negotiating at the table. My brother and I tried to state our case a few times, but to no a vale. If it was put in front of us, it was gonna be eaten, period. What surprises me though is that the dinners I hated then, I love now. Most of which actually turned out to be just dang normal!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 3 Stack Pro Q Excel 20, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM, 150lb Capacity Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
deguerre

I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything I did hate as a kid. Except maybe anchovies and I'm still unsure about those suckers now except as a paste ingredient in another dish but just plain anchovies...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Only two things are coming to my mind: Broccoli and granola. Not sure how this is going to work.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #7
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Loved fried eggplant as a child (sorry Gore). My mother made fried green tomatoes one time and told me it was eggplant. Not the same, I hated it. She lost my trust for like 3 days over that one. Smoked green tomatoes? Perhaps.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
jaymo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetang View Post
I so agree with the cruel thing for sure, well at the time. Those were some long friggin' nights, as there was no negotiating at the table. My brother and I tried to state our case a few times, but to no a vale. If it was put in front of us, it was gonna be eaten, period. What surprises me though is that the dinners I hated then, I love now. Most of which actually turned out to be just dang normal!
Ha! I remember my mom saying things like "If you just eat the rest of your vegetable you don't have to eat the mashed potatoes." I would then try to bury the remaining vegetable under a pile of mashed potatoes. I'm pretty sure it never worked. . .

Honestly, I can't remember too many things I didn't like eating as a kid. I'll really have to rack my brain if I want to attempt this TD.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I always liked eggplant actually, but probably not stuffed with granola and broccoli .

I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites. If only I knew what those bites were now, I'd probably have a winner.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites.
My 'go to' move was always the strategically placed napkin across the plate and then asking to be excused from the table. I still try it on my Mom at holidays from time to time when she makes a casserole or something I don't like - also for a laugh. Didn't work then, doesn't work now.

We also had a very well fed dog when I was kid. She was a great dog because she could eat table scraps clandestinely.

Also tried 'I have to go to the bathroom' with limited success.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I always liked eggplant actually, but probably not stuffed with granola and broccoli .

I don't think I ever got away from hiding vegetables. One of my oldest memories is sitting at the table for hours while everyone else was watching TV. All I had to do was eat those last couple bites. If only I knew what those bites were now, I'd probably have a winner.
We ate our dinner IN the TV room.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
gtr

My folks got on a health food kick when I was around 10. I will not preparing any dish with carob, however.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Dillo_Duster
On the road to being a farker

I hope i get my smoker up and running in time. I have a great idea for this one. According to the site I ordered my WSM from, I should have it by Thursday 5/9/11
Dillo_Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillo_Duster View Post
I hope i get my smoker up and running in time. I have a great idea for this one. According to the site I ordered my WSM from, I should have it by Thursday 5/9/11

Should that be 6/9/11?????

"Brown it's cookin', black it's done"....................Dad.
Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #15
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

Asparagus was one I always hated, no I love it with a hint of smoke.
Smokin Patriots is offline   Reply With Quote