Building a Portable Concession Sink?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Not trying to get out cheap, or cut corners but when you look at the price you pay to have a unit crated and shipped I have to wonder if you can build a better unit for less.

I am pretty good at wood working and cabinets and wonder if anyone else has built a 3 or 4 compartment self contained sink with hot water.

If the components can be purchased, and shipped much cheaper than the completed unit building the cabinet and installing the stainless steel sinks, plumbing, pumps and heater may be the way to go.

Anyone ever build one of these, or see plans to do one that is of professional quality.

This may be one of those things that can not be built as cheap as you can buy one and have it shipped but figured I would ask and find out.

I built one using one double and one single plastic laundry tub, and hooked up a 5 gallon water heater.

Up side, very light and easy to set up.

Down side, looks cheap, so it needs to be behind the scenes. Also hard to keep immaculately clean as grease etc will leave a ring that needs scrubbing. Stainless hides it better.

I found this website that has all the parts, not sure if it would be cheaper and / or better than buying new but something to consider.

stainless sink kit

What I put together passed with no problem, 6' stainless steel table, 1 r/v camper double sink and two single r/v camper sinks (salvaged from a junk yard) 4 gallon eletric hot water heater, water pump, 21 gallon fresh water tank, grey water is a portable honey bucket, all together with all the fittings cost me about 300 bucks.

I built one similar to Tinybud, using a reg double kitchen sink with taps and a sprayer, a hand wash sink, a surflo water pump, you can get water tanks pretty cheap on ebay, remembering to ensure your grey water is larger than the fresh water tank, by 15% I believe, check that to be sure, I have a good memory but it's awful short, :wink:. A electric water heater. Plumbing well thats pretty straight forward and cheap.You should be able to come in well under a grand. Good Luck.

http://www.tanklesswaterheatersdirect.com/shop/tanklesswaterheaters/ariston/aristonindex.htm
http://www.easternmarine.com/RV-Water-System-Pumps-Fittings/

This is the one that I built from a sink that was taken out of a small creamy whip ice crem shop. It is on 10 inch all terran tires to be able to be moved out in middle of fields and with 100 ft of hose and electric cord I have hot water.

Last edited:
Not sure if you want to pass HD inspection. If so, your largest pot/pan/utensil may have to be able to fit in the sink. My HD requires it.

Not sure if you want to pass HD inspection. If so, your largest pot/pan/utensil may have to be able to fit in the sink. My HD requires it.

I was thinking about this, for typical BBQ, what would the largest pan/utensil be?
I would use a lot of disposable foil pans, and trying to think of what large items we may have to consider.

would the countertop need to be stainless, or just the sinks?

I was thinking about this, for typical BBQ, what would the largest pan/utensil be?
I would use a lot of disposable foil pans, and trying to think of what large items we may have to consider.

We can have laminate countertops. You would need disposable cutting boards as well. If you were caught with a bowl, pan or board that didn't fit, they will shut you down here.

check with your local HD, in Minnesota we only need to have half of the largest item fit in the sink

We have to have stainless drainboards on each side.

You can make one for pretty cheap, I believe. If not you should be able to find some sinks at a used appliances store. You can also be surprised at what you can find at a Habitat ReStore. I'd check there.

never had one issue with my HD with my sink setup. Laws are different everywhere, just be sure where you are at, they are good with what ya got.

What I put together passed with no problem, 6' stainless steel table, 1 r/v camper double sink and two single r/v camper sinks (salvaged from a junk yard) 4 gallon eletric hot water heater, water pump, 21 gallon fresh water tank, grey water is a portable honey bucket, all together with all the fittings cost me about 300 bucks.
here in MI the rules say if it's in a trailer then tanks must be included and gray tank must be 15% larger. Some states require 10%. If used with an EZUP and you can get it passed you will probably still need more gray capacity than fresh.

must be able to immerse the largest item you use for prep, serving, cleaning each sink.

must have enough hot water - I found a 6 gallon was barely adequate to fill sinks and turned it up to 150F setting.

Bottom line having an NSF sticker on the equipment is the easiest way to show you are serious and to get things passed. Try to cut corners and you may find you are paying for multiple inspections before startup. Cost quickly adds up and then if you ever want to vend in another State you face a whole set of new inspectors who see home made versus NSF.

I talked to the actual inspector yesterday and he was very helpful and was glad to see someone trying to do it right.
Many things in the outline are subject to health inspectors opinion.
He says if half the cutting board can fit in the sink he is fine with it, he says wash it all the way through then turn it upside down and repeat.

He also said there should be a couple extra gallons room in the waste tank.

I may be lucky and have an inspector who is more willing to get you on the way to working than making you go under the radar.

I am going with 10 gallon fresh and 12 gallon waste to start, this can always be changed out if I need more.

I am going to be very basic to start and see how this summer goes before expanding.

I was at a Hamburger Cookoff with many vendors yesterday, it was at a park and I have to say none of them seemed to be meeting any kind of health safety, but special events seem to get many breaks.

Sounds like you have an inspector that is reasonable, now double what he wants and your good to go, and will come out a hero with him,and , will give you a pass on any small, inconsistancies

Back