喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Anyone ever do up bear meat?

I have a buddy that gave me some bear "burger" last year that's been taking up room in the freezer. I was thinking about using it to make up some MOINKs, but then it occured to be that they would in fact be BOINKs, which made me think of other things...

In any case, does anyone have experience with bear?

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(='.'=) Merry Christmas... Chitter was full!
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
RevZiLLa
is One Chatty Farker

I have tried grilled bear steaks and they were very much like beef

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Agree, I had bear hamburger patties from a wild game store, and they were good!!!!!! Now the zebra and lion I didn't care for.I may not have cooked them right neither though.Just threw em in a pan on top of stove.The smell of them cooking was HORRENDOUS!!!!!!

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

Al, they wouldn't be BOINKS, since it's based on the sound of the critter. What noise does a bear make? Growl? Roar? Grunt? HEHEHE

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Thanks to both of you... I've been a little leary to thaw it out, but you've convinced me to give it a try. Sounds like I should try some of the ground bear as a patty before I turn it all into BOINKs.

As a side note, lion and zebra are probably like cat and horse, which I've never cared for either... ... JK of course...

Traeger 075,Weber Performer,Weber Genesis Silver Gasser, Special Edition "Goose" ET-732 Thermometer,Limited Edition Neutrino Fast Blue Thermopen
Zero Club Member qualifying in the 2011 Special Summer of Spam TD with the Coveted Double Ought...
(\__/)
(")_(")

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
Al, they wouldn't be BOINKS, since it's based on the sound of the critter. What noise does a bear make? Growl? Roar? Grunt? HEHEHE
Thanks for the clarification Arlin... I didn't know it was based on the sound of the critter. Make it either GOINKs or ROINKs...

(\__/)
(")_(")

Unread 05-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

They had some crazy meat at that store. Zimmers, or something like that was the name. I was going thru a faze where I wanted to be like Andre Zimmerman and taste all this crazy food. Now I stick to the "normal" stuff.

brickie

Unread 05-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
They had some crazy meat at that store. Zimmers, or something like that was the name. I was going thru a faze where I wanted to be like Andre Zimmerman and taste all this crazy food. Now I stick to the "normal" stuff.

brickie
Don't let that stop you from trying both Bison and Elk. I was given a whole bison tenderloin and an Elk strip loin (NY strip steak). OMFG!!!

I cut the bison into two roasts and did one marinated in coffee stout and garlic and did a reverse sear on.

The other I slathered with a paste made of roasted garlic, worcestershire and crushed pepper corns.

The elk I marinated in bourbon.

GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
dkruks
Knows what a fatty is.

was told by some of my Conservation officer friends that bear meat MUST be cooked well, as they can harbour serious little critters in there meat that you would not want to injest if they were still crawling...

Dave
dkruks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkruks View Post
was told by some of my Conservation officer friends that bear meat MUST be cooked well, as they can harbour serious little critters in there meat that you would not want to injest if they were still crawling...

Dave

A quick google search found this.

http://fatlester.amplify.com/2009/12...lla-roundworm/
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Nasty, but that is one reason why I don't EVER eat undercooked meat!!! Some people say certain cuts of meat are best rare, but never will eat meat that way. Well done, or I'll pass.

And bought some buffalo when I was in WI awhile back and yes it was extremely good!!Loved how lean it was, no fat at all. And those pics of your food got me hungry!!

brickie

Unread 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Another thing to keep in mind is when and where the bear was harvested. From what I understand, usually in the spring the meat is good but can be lean from that long nap. If harvested in the fall it may have more fat but the bear's food source can play a major role. I got a black bear up in Alaska down on the coast where they eat dead salmon and the meat was worthless. However, if the bear is feeding on nuts and berries up in the mountains then the meat can be good.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

I have had bear several times. There is a Butcher on the Italian Market here in Philly that sells all kinds of game.

I usually get it in nice thick chops. Put them in the broiler with a little red wine butter, fresh rosemary, bay leaf salt and pepper. I eat it on the rare side. To me it tastes like rich pork, a little bit on the gamey side but not so much.

I have never smoked it but damn ill bet it would be good.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #14
Ribbin' Randy
Full Fledged Farker

I did some research on trichinosis a while back and most of the cases in the last 50 years were people who had eaten bear!

Unread 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #15
Al Czervik
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is when and where the bear was harvested. From what I understand, usually in the spring the meat is good but can be lean from that long nap. If harvested in the fall it may have more fat but the bear's food source can play a major role. I got a black bear up in Alaska down on the coast where they eat dead salmon and the meat was worthless. However, if the bear is feeding on nuts and berries up in the mountains then the meat can be good.
I beleive this bear was taken last fall in Idaho near the Snake River / Salmon River confluence in Hells Canyon. I'll have to verify with my buddy. Thanks for the advice...

(\__/)
(")_(")