The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
barnburner
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Joplin help

Everyone.... I live in Joplin and we are fine. I would love to help with a food relief effort here. Anyone and I mean anyone that can help please find it in your heart to do so. I would love to help organize a event where everyone who can come to help feed the first responders. This will be a monumental task. Anyone that can come, please bring your cookers, food, anything! If you want to ship me pre-cooked food email me, if you want me to do anything just get a hold of me. I want to help and I can help here. The southern half of this entire town is completely gone.

Please email me at richie.allen03@gmail.com if I can help.
barnburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Richie I know there is a group organized and will be coming down to cook. They set up a Facebook page that has all the info on it. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Operat...66140806782807
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
barnburner

I am not on facebook but anyone can email me or call me directly at 479-295-5816.

Unread 05-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

I emailed the details from what Jeff Stith posted on FB.
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

By friday we will have a large crew of comp cooks turning out food.

The comp community is coming together big for this, Cookshack is providing us with an FEC 300. When I called Stuart, he just said sure, come pick it up. Others are being equally generous...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Jeff - If you have the logistics, any chance you can post? Not sure if I can get away to help, but if so, would be able to help however needed, just looking for organized info

Unread 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wish I could be there to help out and well if it’s after the next couple of weeks…

I’ve dropped a couple of emails to some of our sponsors from my NASCAR days and am hoping that they can help us out with some raw product.

Best of luck and I’m glad you all came through it OK!
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The best info is on the facebook page set up by Jeff Stith--Operation BBQ Relief For Joplin(link is above)

Unread 05-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Operation BBQ Relief in Joplin
by Jeff Stith on Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:54am

Update on feeding folks in Joplin - We have four or five large capacity smokers. Should be enough. Can use some FEs to hold food once done. Again, we will be in the mall parking lot at 7th and Rangeline with the Farmers Insurance command center. You can MapQuest the location of the intersection. I plan to be in Joplin by noon on Tuesday. Stan is already in the area. If you are stopped by National Guard, let them know you are with the KCBS/Kookers Kare people working with Farmers Insurance to cook BBQ for displaced families and rescue workers. Looks like we have both pork and chicken donated and probably buns, water and single serving chips. Will verify that in the morning. Kookers Kare will be helping with other items. Have plenty of hickory donated per Tim Gray. May need charcoal. Pork may arrive sometime Tuesday. Chicken (50,000 pounds from OK Foods) arrives on Wednesday. Will feed any displaced families and rescue workers who come to our location. We will also obtain the locations/addresses of all temporary shelters set up in area churches, schools, etc. and deliver meals to those locations each day at lunch and dinner. Plan is to have 5 to 10 people there each day, Tuesday through Monday of next week. We can rotate out in shifts depending on when you can be there. Please post on the BBQ Relief page I will create here on Facebook and invite you to join when you can be there. I will be able to check as we will have WiFi through the Farmers Insurance satellite. My cell is (816) 590-5057 but I may or may not be able to take calls depending on what we're doing or if we even will have good cell coverage as towers are down.

PLEASE - we can use as many ServSafe Certified people as possible to avoid problems with the health department!!! If you are not certified through ServSafe, go to www.ServSafe.com and purchase the online class. Mine for Missouri was only $15 and I completed the course, took the test and printed my certificate in less than 90 minutes! I think all of us arriving on Tuesday have done this. If you are coming later, there should be plenty of time! Don't forget to print your certificate after you take the test and bring a couple of copies with you just in case.

What should you bring? Some suggestions:

* ServSafe Certificate (couple of copies)

* Snacks and drinks for yourself

* Coolers

* Cambro / Carlisle

* Thermapen

* Single use gloves (preferably nitrile)

* Any rubs and/or sauces you wish to donate!!!

* Pillow / blanket / chair (some sleeping in their car - limited space for RVs)

* Rain gear (it's supposed to rain from time to time)

* If you have them and wish to contribute, full size aluminum pans and foil/lids

* Change of clothes or two and comfortable shoes

* Bus tubs

*Full size sheet pans

* Coleman Hot water heaters

* water storage containers (FILLED AT HOME!!! There is a boil order in Joplin!)

* Generators (bring plenty of gasoline)

* Camera (I plan to take some photos - I fully expect seeing things that will remain with me the rest of my life)

Safe travels to you all and thank you for your support of the citizens of Joplin.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all you are doing for this effort Kim...

Unread 05-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

let me know if you need help over the memorial weekend. just shoot me a pm and i will see what i can do.
Ron
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Kim, I posted on FB as requested, but forgot to add that I will be able to do deliveries to the shelters if needed. Thank you for doing this.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

barnburner, our Springfield Sertoma has smokers set up at Magoos on Kentucky and 7th. I took 150 lbs of butts and 400 lbs of charcoal to them today. Jim and Jeff are cooking and they are a competition team as well. Stop by and say I to them if you can. Glad you are okay brother>

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

FYI....

Anyone wanting to donate money by check please Make your check out to Kookers Kare Inc. and mail it to Kookers Kare Inc. 7162 Highway O Odessa, MO 64076-7285.

More info will be available soon as to being able to make a donation using a credit card. Thank You Gerry Kookers Kare Treasurer

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #15
barnburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyEarl View Post
Kim, I posted on FB as requested, but forgot to add that I will be able to do deliveries to the shelters if needed. Thank you for doing this.
Marc... If you can get here and help, please do!! We need help!

Richie Allen