The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-06-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
ulikadawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default smoking tenderloin

how long (minutes per pound)should I smoke a beef tenderloin and at what temp?
ulikadawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #2
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I'm gonna switch around your answer from time, to temp.

Someone will correct me, since I dont do alot of beef tenderloin (I do pork) but I would start with a probe in there from the beginning, smoke at 210 to 230 (no higher) until around 155 internal (probably 2 hours or less) and then wrap in foil and in the cooler (if you want "well" since it will rise nearly 10 degrees)

If you want medium, dont foil, let rest for 15minutes and slice

Again, others will know my, and welcome Mr. Dawg

"Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants and Boots and Pants..." - Maxwell

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

I to am no expert on tenderloin either.

Take a look here for the answer from the experts
http://www.bandera-brethren.com/inde...ght=tenderloin

I guess everyone is watching ballet or poker on TV right now

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Tenderloin!! Thats a filet mignon...... Cook it no higher than 140.!! Hope it aint to late. Its not a low and slow cut of meat. you want to cook that quicker than we normally do. Cook it upwards towards 300 degrees in the chamber.

Cook at 275-300 until internal temps are 130. Cook it in your hot spot. When it reachs 130, remove and grill it close over hot coals for aminute or 2 to sear the outside. Keep the thermometer in while its grilling and dont let temps climb over 140 or its wrecked. This produces med-rare to medium inside. If you want it on the rare side, pull it at 125 and roll it on the coals till internal is between 130-135. When it reachs temp, Lay a piece of foil on top and let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing. If ya want it med or med-well...., just wrap it a little tighter with foil and let it rest longer.. about 20 minutes ..... it will cook more with its own heat load.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
willkat98

See, I knew there would be other opins, but I will always differ with Phil on this.

Beef tenderloin, and pork tenderloin, is indeed smokable. It will soak up a good amount of smoke, so use a light flavor wood (apple, cherry, etc)

I then slice ate 145 and add to beans or chili

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven

Unread 02-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

As Phil says a higher temp cook, tenderloin beef or pork doesn't have the connective tissue so long and slow cooks are not callled for.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
willkat98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
As Phil says a higher temp cook, tenderloin beef or pork doesn't have the connective tissue so long and slow cooks are not callled for.
Okay, I am wrong, to a point.

After I posted this, I realized I was always smoking the loins, then adding them to something (stew, beans, chili, pot roasts, etc)

So if you are doing loins, follow Phil and Jim Minions advice.

But if your smoking a pork or beef loin to add to something, give my hints a try.

PS, I thinks smoked pork tenderloin is good, but it is second to my favorite use of pork tenderloin. cut a 1" slice of pork tenderloin. place between 2 slices wax paper. Take 1 Caphalon 12" frying pan, and whack that farker once. Will now be around 1/8" thick.

Dip in egg wash, then in bread crumbs. add to slight amount of evoo in said Caphalon pan. Kick ass breaded pork tenderloin

Unread 02-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Bill
You can smoke for a short time and then raise the heat, I always have some wood for flavor in the cooker. Need the higher heat for the caramelization which I believe is needed as part of the flavor print.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
BBQchef33

For filet mignons I use hickory or oak. The do soak up a good amount of smoke so mesquite or a heavy wood kills them. A high temp hickory fire is great for it. The technique I posted is for slicing and serving med-rare.

(mesquite is good for large prime rib roasts)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #10
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Like Phil and Jim said; Grill beef tenderloin, it's not a low and slow cut. Do a beef tenderloin like Phil does his prime rib. Turns out and tastes great.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
BBQchef33

just to be clear.. I only grill the last minute or 2 to seer it. Most of the cooking is high BBQ, more like roasting over wood.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
ulikadawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

Default beef tenderloin

thanks for the tips! I'll be cooking the meat for about 20 people on Saturday and I'll let ya'll know how it turns out.

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #13
BBQchef33

Go to the recipe section and get my prime rib recipe. Use it on filet mignon.. comes out great.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 02-06-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
ulikadawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

"Cook at 275-300 until internal temps are 130"

how long will this take?
---------------
Custom 14 ft trailer smoker
NB Bandera
---------------
Ribs and Whiskey
Let's Smoke Some Butts

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #15
cayenne
On the road to being a farker

Default EEEk....

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
I'm gonna switch around your answer from time, to temp.

Someone will correct me, since I dont do alot of beef tenderloin (I do pork) but I would start with a probe in there from the beginning, smoke at 210 to 230 (no higher) until around 155 internal (probably 2 hours or less) and then wrap in foil and in the cooler (if you want "well" since it will rise nearly 10 degrees)

If you want medium, dont foil, let rest for 15minutes and slice

Again, others will know my, and welcome Mr. Dawg
EEEEKKkkkkk....
Taking a beef tenderloin to 'well' done?? Oh man...that is just a waste of good (and usually expensive) meat. Medium is the highest you should ever eat beef tenderloin...otherwise, it will be dry and in the tennis shoe category for texture.

I prefer my steaks med-rare.....but, med. is ok....just don't cook above that...

:-)

cayenne
cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote