Opinions on my Pork Box

P

patkline9999

Trying a new "style" of Pork Turnin Box ..here's the picture ... any comments plus or minus ... put chunks w/ bark in the center and pulled around the perimeter. I previously used slices with decent success ...is this stype more popular with judges ? Anybody know? thanks for the help. Oh yea ...is there too much sauce?

PORKBOX52211.jpg

I think it looks good, I dont think there is too much sauce at all. I would just clean up the little strands that fall off the pork and are laying randomly over you pieces.

I think it would be a solid 7 for me, I think the box needs more garnish, for depth, and I cant see a clear division between pulled and chunks....IMHO

I'd say a 6 or 7. There is a lot of sauce slopped on the garnish, and it isn't very even. Big gaps at 2:30, 6:00, and 9:00 positions in the box.

Looks a little saucy with no separation between chunks and pulled on the bottom right. Try to put more bark in that box or at least flip the chunks around so the bark is showing.

I'd give this one a 7 most likely (always a bit hard to work with a pic and not the real thing). To move it up, I'd suggest more garnish more evenly distributed. Sauce is uneven (heavy on some pieces, light on others). I'd recommend very light sauce on all just to get a sheen on the meat. Finally, I'd recommend placing the pieces with bark so that they clearly show -- judges will usually take a sample of both.

At a contest I judged last weekend the best pork box at our table had money muscle medallions in front and approx 1" square bark-bearing pieces in back. It was garnished with parsely that was well placed and "fluffed" with a dividing line between the two meat styles -- very attractive entry. Sauce was light but enough to give an added moist appearance. I'll never know, of course, but I'll bet the cook got a walk from it (taste and tenderness were super, too).

The meat pieces look just great, but the sauce looks more like gravy than bbq sauce. Were I judging I would ding you big time for that, it just does not look like bbq. Lighten up on the sauce and you are good to go.

Back