The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

Default New Mod - The "LeeBo Mod"

Ok, I haven't done the mod yet, but am thinking about it. Just wanted to go ahead and claim the name in case it works. What do ya'll think about this.....

I read some posts about using tin-foil on a rack to make a deflector of sorts. Heck of an idea. I got to thinking.....

What about buy two extra racks, and a bag of ceramic briquettes? Then place the briquetts between the two racks and wire them together.

This would result in a movable although perrmanent deflector.

Any thoughts?

- LeeBo

ps. Yes, this is "the" LeeBo of the original five that started the original yahoo group years ago. Wow! Phil's done a great job with this site. I haven't been year in a long time.

I'm smoking on an Old School 'dera with door gasket, basket, and baffle. I have barely smoked in the last year at all. I cleaned up & painted my Old School ' dera today and am smoking ribs, pork loin, klabasee (sp), and bologne on Sunday.
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
ps. Yes, this is "the" LeeBo
As in Lee & Jessica? Either way - very glad to see you here. Hope you've already jumped into the Cattle Call forum.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
LeeBo
On the road to being a farker

The one(s) and only!

- LeeBo, and chief side dish preparer Jessica.
LeeBo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2005, 07:55 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Lee, or Leebo

I need to just come out and say, the Heat Shield was invented by Big Al in Parker CO on the Bandera Brethren Yahoo group.

He used a piece of aluminum sheeting, cut to 15.5" by 15.5" with a "V" cut out of one side.

Phil then did this as well with a half circle.

I ordered 6 extra grill racks and convered one 3/4 with aluminum foil.

I took the 2 minute alternative, but BigAl already created the real Heat Shield. Awesome way to conserve fuel and retain heat.

So the Leebo mod (with the ceramic tiles) is indeed a great idear. We can call it a Mod to BigAl's mod.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
jeffsasmokin
Full Fledged Farker

OK, now I now who you are Lee! (Lee and Jessica) DUH!

I've read some threads on the deflectors..........how are they used and where do you place them? I presume this is for when the 'Dera isn't full and your just doin' a few things?

Modified Bandera
Charmglow All Stainless Gas
CB 26 1/2" Kettle
ECB
Fabricated All-Wood Burn Barrel
BC Select Outdoor Fryer
jeffsasmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2005, 08:42 AM   #6
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I presume this is for when the 'Dera isn't full and your just doin' a few things?
Yes, helps with fuel consumption. Also allows you to to divide into two separate cooking chambers where you could do beans or something requiring a lower cooking temp. It can also be used as a holding area if you wanted.

I think Big Al has even cooked a brisket above the heat shield.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
cabo
is One Chatty Farker

Could do the same thing with 1 rack and some precut fire brick. No need to wire together, and you use only one rack.
N.B. 'Dera (modified), gone to another place (RIP), ECCG (el cheapo charcoal grill), an Alveron propane, and wood hog cooker, bullitt type smokers, a GM Jim Bowie, a turkey fryer, and a pretty well stocked kitchen.

Cabo