oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:54 AM   #46
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Tommy,
What problems were you having?
Did he have the plate setter? It's the deflector for indirect cooking. It's an option but you gotta have it.
I have never used a Guru. I get paid by BGE so I can't justify using an aftermarket tool that "makes it work better". But I also don't see a need for it. I've had good success cooking all four contest catagories on the egg and without a guru. IMO it works just fine on it's own.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2005, 07:46 AM   #47
jt
Babbling Farker

Some great info here. Thanks Doc for sharing.

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 12 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #48
homebbq
Full Fledged Farker

You know, I envy those that use the pellet cookers. They are always fresh Saturday morning, and I am trying to get a third or fourth wind.

I have the same opinion as Jim, I really don't care what they use, if they want to use gas, electric, doesn't bother me. In the end, the bbq has to be good enough to win.
www.bbqstore.co
www.outdoorcookingchannel.com
homebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #49
WalterSC
Knows what a fatty is.

Thumbs up

Well I am working on having 2 double 55 gallon drum smokers / with side fireboxes made for competing , yea I would love to have one of those BIG towable pits but it aint gonna happen anytime soon. It aint fancy but they work for me as it has been said time and time again it aint the cooker its the cook . I say if it aint broke why fix it , work with what you like . Me I like sitting there feeding the smokers kingsford and oak wood , yea I use a digital thermometer so what , never had any complaints so far when I host a backyard Q . Bout time I threw my hat into competing and had some fun. Wish me luck brethren. First smoker is being built as we speak and I got a friend who can get the stainless steel drums free for me cant beat that deal !!!

And just for the record no I would not want one of those set it and forget it grills , I would rather take my time and make great Q low and slow!! Too much hi tech ruins the fun of doing Q at least for me , but if it helps someone elese I say go for it and good Qing!!
PIT MASTER TEAM SQUEEL APPEAL
Backyard BBQer
55 gallon drum smoker with side fire box
2- Weber Smokey Moutain Smokers
Kenmore propane grill
King Cooker outdoor fryer
WalterSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 10:39 AM   #50
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Well come on with your bad self. Send in some entry fee money and get cooking. The season is just starting here in Florida.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #51
WalterSC
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey I got friends that live in Lakeland FL they have been trying for a year to get me down to compete in the cookoff they have there , once the grills are done ya never can tell were I might show up , might have to borrow a pick up truck to haul it all down. Might go as a spectator or try to find a team the would like some help just so I can get used to the KCBS styles of competiton. Need to learn the the green stuff that they put in with the food "garnish" we dont do that in SCBA contest we just judge the meat as turned in. Oh yea my birthday is the 22nd of November got my wife hunting your BBQ books to add to my collection. Gonna hit the 47 year old mark and am going back to what I know best , BBQ!!!!
PIT MASTER TEAM SQUEEL APPEAL
Backyard BBQer
55 gallon drum smoker with side fire box
2- Weber Smokey Moutain Smokers
Kenmore propane grill
King Cooker outdoor fryer
WalterSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #52
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Well don't let the garnish scare you off. If your BBQ is good it won't hurt you. The books should be any bookstore. Hope you like them.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #53
JKH
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq

I don't much care for offsets. First off, it just doesn't make any sense to me to put the fire on the side. Heat rises.
Using all wood can easily result in oversmoked food and that doesn't win much. The good cooks I know that use wood wrap their food early and often.

My two cents as requested.
How can an offset not make sense? Ya add preheated,seasoned sticks to the side without opening the cooking chamber,if your cooker is made of thick steel then the temperature stays constant between fuel additions and burns cleanly.What doesn't make sense is to have the fire underneath burning stinky unlit charcoal,with out the option of using wood as a main fuel.
Yup offsets burning wood easily oversmoke food and don't win much!...lol
Oh i had me some 075 BBQ and it was quite vile!

Last edited by JKH; 11-08-2006 at 12:45 PM..
JKH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #54
TexasGuppie
Full Fledged Farker

Just break it down into categories: Stickburner against stickburner, pellet against pellet, electric against electric, ez-bake oven against ez-bake oven, etc., etc.

But that being said, I'm not a competitor and all of these suggestions would probably just mess things up that don't really need messin' up.

Ken

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"You must go through the Valley to stand upon the mountain of God."[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]In Memory of Scott "E" Cook[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]3/29/1965-9/3/2006[/FONT]
TexasGuppie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 02:51 PM   #55
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with DrBBQ about offsets...and I use one. They are inefficient compared to other cookers...there are lots of barrel (and other shape cookers) that have fire in the bottom/back or ends of the cooking chamber and this results in less fuel use - sticks, charcoal, etc.

That being said, if stick burners went to a burn barrel and using coals it would result in a less smokey environment (in the cooker)...lots of work, though there are some teams that bring their burn barrel and do just that.

I've gotten way over the issue of the type of cooker used in competitions. It comes down to how well the cook can use their cooker. Granted, the FEC, BGE, WSM, guys "work" less but they still have to hit the window for the "perfect" meat.

One item I appreciate about my Kingfisher Gator is that I can heat two cook chambers from the firebox -- not like a BYC with all the heat loss in the main horizontal chamber, but "directly" from the firebox into each cooking space...my rotisserie maximizes my cooking space compared to having a flat grate in that space. It is, however, still inefficient in the use of the rising heat - but is more efficient than having two fires, one in each cooking chamber.

Competition cooking is to "traditional" bbq (and most backyard chefs) what NHRA/NASCAR are to the average driver. It looks like it's the "same car" but it's not!

The differences between competition bbq and traditional (original?) bbq are huge...for a discourse on traditional bbq and some strong arguments for competition bbq NOT being bbq -- go to www.bobinga.com or http://www.sptsb.com/. These guys are HARD CORE!!

I met Bob along with Ginger, Big Jim, and Danny. They are great people...and they are more interested in competition than before, but they are traditionalist -- they raised and butchered the hogs they and we cooked at Douglas.

So, I'm not trying to get a controversy going, but it's interesting to get the arguments from all sides before talking ugly about each other!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-2006, 03:09 PM   #56
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKH
How can an offset not make sense? Ya add preheated,seasoned sticks to the side without opening the cooking chamber,if your cooker is made of thick steel then the temperature stays constant between fuel additions and burns cleanly.What doesn't make sense is to have the fire underneath burning stinky unlit charcoal,with out the option of using wood as a main fuel.
Yup offsets burning wood easily oversmoke food and don't win much!...lol
Oh i had me some 075 BBQ and it was quite vile!
Heat rises, it doesn't go sideways.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #57
JKH

[QUOTE=chad]I agree with DrBBQ about offsets...and I use one. They are inefficient compared to other cookers...there are lots of barrel (and other shape cookers) that have fire in the bottom/back or ends of the cooking chamber and this results in less fuel use - sticks, charcoal, etc.

Well i use the tinniest sticks to keep my offset burning cleanly, and compared to any cooker out there it costs less to cook on in fuel prices.
15$ a bag of charcoal...lol i don't think so.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #58
JKH

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
Heat rises, it doesn't go sideways.
If you take out the platesetter.

Actually my heat rises also,get's pushed against the baffle and rises.
Nothing makes more sense to me than an offset.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #59
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

The Kingfishers Utilize the heat going up as well... by having a water jacket over the top of the firebox to allow steam into the cooking chamber for moisture. But have to agree with Ray and Dave - they are inefficent by comparison to the others noted like the BGE. Having had the luxury of cooking on lots of cookers this season, I think you have to have the right skills to do well with any of them. Dave - do you use your water jacket at all?

Old 11-08-2006, 03:50 PM   #60
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo
Dave - do you use your water jacket at all?
I usually fill the water tank...to protect the upper part of the firebox. Thursday I had it full...I didn't bother to refill when I fired off Friday for the second pig/brisket/chicken.

From a cooking standpoint it seems to make little difference...but, like I said I use it most of the time.

I wish the rotisserie side had a damper between it and the firebox...I know the rotisserie is the primary cooker, but there are times I've switched over to the "grill" side and I just shut the stack...that forces the draft over but it would be nice to be able to just shut it down.

By the way, I had little problem keeping temps between 225-250 over two full days of cooking (two events)...I had the firebox intakes shut down about 75% on each side of the firebox. Fire control was not an issue. I did use up about three wheel barrow full of oak, about 1/2 a wheel barrow of pecan, and two bags of Kingsford - the Kingsford is used to light off the cooker - two starts, two bags!

I have to keep remembering when I used a WSM and small offsets with charcoal and small chunks or tiny splits! I'm not a stick burner fanatic, but I like my Kingfisher and am in the market for a dedicated hog cooker - that is flexible enough to do my other products, too. I may wind up with something like the JOS shoulder cooker or small hog cooker...Stump's was well represented at Douglas with both the large and small versions of his hog cooker along with several teams using his GF models. The insulation is a big plus with fuel economy and when fighting wind and cool temperatures.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote