עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #31
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

What counts is that you have a good time and turn out some damn tastey Q . IMO!

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 02:27 AM   #32
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
If no fans, no electicity, no thermostats -- guess that means no Nu-Temps, Mavericks, Pyrex, etc. thermometers either.

Damn, being a purist in BBQ is almost as hard as being a purist in animal rights, vegans, etc. :D

This is all a RULES thing. If you don't like one associations allowable equipment find one you do like. This whole thread spun off a comment I made about a Fast Eddy cooker spitting some pellets out. It wasn't intended to get a discourse on how much anyone hates "whatever".

Cook the way you like. Remember too that this is the Competition Forum and the discussion is often not about what we personally like to do or cook with - it's about the results that go to the judge.

Lighten up guys - nobody is trying to make you cook with pellets, wafers, gas, etc. If you want to use paper logs and Kraft sauce on your BBQ lamb - go for it!

Yeah right.. lets not use thermometers. Oh stop reachin.

Can we NOT discuss this as a rules thing.. Its an opinion thread on 2 schools of thought. Thats all. We all know the KCBS rules.. and I am not complainin or trying to change them, although I'd like to see [additional] contest with different formats, such as all wood only.. or switching pits..

But I do like hearing the different perspectives. This is not a "my way or the highway forum, never was."
So lets continue with civil adult discussion.

Pellet poppers are poopieheads.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 05:38 AM   #33
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
So lets continue with civil adult discussion.

Pellet poppers are poopieheads.

Now that's more like it. I was beginning to feel like a kid whose parents were arguing.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 10:33 AM   #34
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I think it's actually three schools of thought.
Those that want to use any means available, those that want to use no technology at all, and those that want to stop progress where they are standing.
Steel pits with air flow restriction to control temp are the half way guys. Charcoal users too.

I cooked in the World Barbecue Association Championship in Jamaica year before last and we all got two 55 gallon drums with one undersized stack and one primative vent. A WSM or a Klose is miles ahead of that in technology.

BTW I was able to cook that way. Got third in ribs and did well overall.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 11:40 AM   #35
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I cooked in the World Barbecue Association Championship in Jamaica year before last and we all got two 55 gallon drums with one undersized stack and one primative vent.
That sounds fun. Did you know what you would be using before you got there, or was it a surprise?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #36
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

We knew.
For the World Championship you could bring a different grill, but hardly anyone did. The next day was the Jamaican Championship and we had to use the drums. That was the rule. We also had to use the meat they gave us. The World Championship in Jamaica was a one time thing, it moves around, but the Jamaican Championship is an annual event at the Sunset Beach Resort.

Unread 02-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #37
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
We knew.
For the World Championship you could bring a different grill, but hardly anyone did. The next day was the Jamaican Championship and we had to use the drums. That was the rule. We also had to use the meat they gave us. The World Championship in Jamaica was a one time thing, it moves around, but the Jamaican Championship is an annual event at the Sunset Beach Resort.
Now thats pretty cool. And third in Ribs. You can't get a more level playing field. Thats my kinda competition

Great job Doc.

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 03:55 PM   #38
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, my point is just because a guy now uses a pellet cooker doesn't mean he always did, and it doesn't mean he can't control a fire.

Fast Eddy, the guy who created the FE100 is a firefighter, welder and a great cook. He knows more about how a barbecue fire works than probably anyone I know. I've seen him cook a great hog on a Lang.

Unread 02-12-2005, 04:04 PM   #39
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Dr Ray,

Thanks for all your input--very enlightening!
You have an impressive arsenal of cookers

Would you care to comment on which of the several styles you have that produce the most consistant and award winning product?

That is the root of this thread.
We would love to know what a seasoned Champion prefers

Thanks,

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #40
tommykendall

#600. Well done Tim. Thanks for your contributions.

Unread 02-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #41
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
#600. Well done Tim. Thanks for your contributions.
Shucks--never noticed

I imagine that at least 2 or 3 of them were "quaility" and "on topic".
Well, maybe back in Cattle Call anyway
TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 08:56 PM   #42
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq
Thanks, my point is just because a guy now uses a pellet cooker doesn't mean he always did, and it doesn't mean he can't control a fire.

Fast Eddy, the guy who created the FE100 is a firefighter, welder and a great cook. He knows more about how a barbecue fire works than probably anyone I know. I've seen him cook a great hog on a Lang.
Doc, I couldnt agree with you more.

I started about 5 or 6 years ago on a El Cheapo Brinkman.

I use to strive to keep the heat in the "Ideal" range. Remember that Brinkman thermometer?

I love the WSM. Set it and forget it, as Ron Popeil would say.

So a pellet cooker, that doesnt need 24/7 monitoring, is interesting to me.

I have all kinds of cookers, depending on how much I want to farkwith them. I would never say that I am good enough to compete, but I would say that even with a $30 ECB, I could place in a competition, Only thing is, I would be up all night farking with temps every 10 minutes.

In competition, I think consistency is the thing, which I assunme pellet cooking gives. So thats one less variable to fark with

Please, please keep us posted during the 2005 season as to how the cooking is going. I know its your busy time, but we love hearing about whats going on

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #43
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

For years I cooked on a big Jedmaster. I loved it. Then for ease of use in business I swtched to an FE100 clone. I loved it. Then for different business purposes (read$$$) I switched to Big Green Eggs, and now I love them. I also now use a real FEC100.

The common features of all these cookers are the heat source is directly under the meat. They all have a deflector but no water pan. They are all well insulated and they are all easily kept on temp. The differences are the size and fuel.
I like the size of the big jed, and the room to cook everything in one cooker with extras. It used briquettes with wood chunks. Cleanup sucked.

The pellet cooker is a no brainer to keep on temp, and it's about impossible to oversmoke anything. It's decent sized and cleanup is pretty simple. The downside is it's mechanical and has a rare breakdown. You just need to learn how to fix it in the field. It's not brain surgery.

The eggs run on lump with wood chips or chunks. They cook great but you need a few of them. The good news is you can run them at diferent temps for different needs. They have to be handled carefully but it's not a big deal.

I really like all of these cookers, and wouldn't mind using any of them any time. The combination of a few eggs and an FE is pretty hard to beat.

I don't much care for offsets. First off, it just doesn't make any sense to me to put the fire on the side. Heat rises.
Using all wood can easily result in oversmoked food and that doesn't win much. The good cooks I know that use wood wrap their food early and often.

My two cents as requested.

Unread 02-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #44
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

BBQ is all about flavor and taste. It isn't really about how you cook it. I like to cook with wood and charcoal in an offset fire box type of BBQ pit. But that's just me. I also like to eat other peoples BBQ, but I rarely get too critical about the way they cook it. There are as many ways to cook BBQ as there are sauces and rubs. When it is done well it tastes good and that is all that matters. I have two offset pits and an old Weber kettle, but if I had the money I would also have a Klose trailer, a Big Green Egg or Kamado, and one of those pellet machines that Al Roper used on his BBQ show. heck, I might even have one of those electric things for the kitchen so I can slow smoke cheese and such.

It's all about the taste.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #45
tommykendall

Quote:
Then for different business purposes (read$$$) I switched to Big Green Eggs, and now I love them. I also now use a real FEC100.

The common features of all these cookers are the heat source is directly under the meat. They all have a deflector but no water pan.
My biggest cooking challenge was on the Green Egg. This guy bought one (with the Guru add-on) against my recommendation of the WSM. ONly reason I recommended the WSM over the egg was because I had to teach the guy how to use it. Started to get the hang of it toward the end of the cook. What a struggle it was but I did quickly see what a great cooker it can be.