My new "Sort of UDS" smoker

C

CoveLife

Well, here my "Sort of UDS" Smoker, its made of drums, and its ugly, but its different..

Found a guy here locally who makes these, and at a really good price so i grabbed one up. Overall i'm impressed with the build quality, and got to try her for the first time today.

Everything worked great, i think i will have to make a modification to the firebox, i had to struggle a bit to get up to temp, it wanted to settle in at 200, which of course is a little low. Maybe i need to add another vent, that is adjustable?

Anyways heres the pics!

smoker2.jpg

smoker1.jpg

Very nice!

I made a smoker out of a double drum stove.

DSC00542.jpg

Even with all of the intakes open I still can only get it to around 240-250 and thats with a raging coal bed and fire.

I think it is cause the metal is thin on drums and does not conduct much heat.

I was thinking of welding in some plates between the drums to try and conduct more heat to the top drum.

What modifications are you thinking?

A horizontal UDS. Seen a few over the years but yours is very nice. Great work.

Not sure what mods im gonna do yet, will probably make a charcoal basket first and see what that gets me, and seal up the main chamber a bit with some oven seal, will be a good start anyways

i like that alot. Do you use charcoal or wood as the heat source?

thansk

Looks great!

However, if I were building it, the exhaust would be mounted in the side of drum, just above cooking grate level. Can't see any more than that from the one pic. Some sort of diffuser from firebox to cooking chamber would be a good thing too.

It's too clean for sure, toss some meat on there and get busy!

Forgot to mention that if might help to add a couple inches in height to the exhaust. I'm no offset master by far, but have read lots of build topics on various forums, and I didn't even have to stay at the Holiday Inn :p.

Looks great!

However, if I were building it, the exhaust would be mounted in the side of drum, just above cooking grate level. Can't see any more than that from the one pic. Some sort of diffuser from firebox to cooking chamber would be a good thing too.

It's too clean for sure, toss some meat on there and get busy!

Forgot to mention that if might help to add a couple inches in height to the exhaust. I'm no offset master by far, but have read lots of build topics on various forums, and I didn't even have to stay at the Holiday Inn :p.

Too clean is right! Will work on solving that problem :thumb:

Here are pics of the air intake and inside of fire box, you can see one hole in the bottom of the box, there are 3 of these. I realized today when i cleaned it that ash had plugged those holes, so i'm thinking i need to make a charcoal basket that sits up off the floor a bit with something to catch the ashes, anyone have any suggestions? The air intake on the side seems to be a 2 inch pipe

smoker005.jpg

smoker007.jpg

smoker008.jpg

Hey, I was thinking of one just like that after all my other projects. That is very nice. How's she work?

Hey, I was thinking of one just like that after all my other projects. That is very nice. How's she work?

So far im lovin it, need some time to get used to it and a charcoal basket and i think she will be perfect

Forgot the photos
barrel smoker
barrelsmoker.jpg

Wild Pig Smoker

WildPigSmoker.jpg

Back