turkey breast

pat

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Have a request for 25# of turkey breast for a grad party. Assuming the yield is low like chicken but wanted to see if anyone has an idea of amount of raw weight I need to start with? Butterball says retention on bone-in is around 60% (seems high to me) so I'm thinking I need 40# or so. Thanks!

I love to do full Turkey breasts, hard to find when it is not holiday time but they are easy to smoke and retention is about what Butterball suggests. They are not expensive so do a few extra. I like to use them for appetizers, slice and put on crackers with a mixture of mayo and pesto on top. Yummy, easy and cheap. Great combination!

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
If you can find Cobblestone boneless breasts (oven ready, foil wrapped) you'll get about 70 - 80% yield. We use them at the Hut though they might be a particular restaurant/hotel item. Might try Restaurant Depot.

Thaw well - remove skin - dust with rub - into smoker @ 235º until internal temp is 165º. Tent with foil & rest 1/2 hour before cutting.

Hut turkey fresh from the smoker:
smokedturkey_1.jpg

Good luck!

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Thanks for the responses guys. Frank...I saw a pic of those in a different thread and they still make my mouth water! Hoping to find some similar to those. No RD around these parts but gonna check with Sysco.

Just thought I would update this thread. Cooked for a grad party last weekend for 200....25# of turkey & 25# of brisket. Thanks to Frank's suggestion, I found some boneless breasts through Sysco. Came 2 in a box wrapped in foil and vac sucked weighing around 8-9# per breast. Removed the skin and smoked 2 to a pan with a bit of apple juice, rubbed with yardbird (briskets too!). Sliced as thin as my shaky hand could handle for sandwiches. Strained the liquid and poured back over the sliced meat....damn tasty. These were super easy to prep and cook...minimal waste when trimming and probably got 75-80% yield :thumb:

I was playing with some camera settings so I hope you don't mind some pics. The table setup isn't anything fancy and they requested the famous dave's sauce which I might add was barely used :becky:

IMG_6150.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6155.jpg

IMG_6156.jpg

IMG_6158.jpg

IMG_6159.jpg

Back