Recipe: Smoked Macaroni & Cheese w/Bacon

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Brisket_0120.JPG

Here's a recipe that I have been working on for a couple tries, and I finally got it where I like it on the third attempt...

Smoked Mac & Cheese w/Bacon

1 16oz box of LARGE Elbow Macaroni
2 cans of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 cups shredded Cheddar (I used sharp)
4 to 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Cook the macaroni with instructions provided on the box and then drain it in a colander. Return to the pot and add the Campbell's cheddar cheese soup. Add the milk, parmesan cheese and bacon to the pot and mix thoroughly. Dump the contents into a casserole dish and spread 2 cups (or more if desired) of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Place the casserole dish in a smoker and smoke at 225-250° for 1 hour. (I smoked with Hickory)

This recipe is a variation of this one that I found on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/Yo06w_n8-CU

The variations I made were changing to large macaroni noodles and adding an extra can of the cheddar cheese soup to keep it creamy with the larger noodles. I also added the parmesan and the bacon for a serious flavor kick. If you decide to make this with the regular smaller macaroni noodles, only use a single can of the cheddar cheese soup.

The photo above is a doubled up version of this recipe.

The cheese picks up the smoke flavor very well... I was surprised at how well that happened after only leaving it on the smoker for an hour...

Love those cast iron pans... Recipe looks really nice too! Thanks Brother!

Cheers

Love Bonamassa! Check out Bettye LaVette "The Scene of the Crime" CD.
I listen to JB all the time... Gonna try this recipe!

That looks delicious!! Damn, there goes the diet!!:p

Looks good to me! I need to take another shot at this. The only time I tried it the stuff was waaaaaaay too smoky!

How does it taste? I love homemade Mac n cheese but I've never had cheddar cheese soup before. The idea of cheddar cheese soup doesnt sit well with me for some reason.

How does it taste? I love homemade Mac n cheese but I've never had cheddar cheese soup before. The idea of cheddar cheese soup doesnt sit well with me for some reason.

I thought it tasted great... You could use velveeta instead if you wanted to... Or you could layer it and use sliced cheese like any other traditional baked mac & cheese...

Have to give this a go. Should work really well with the dino bones for tomorrows cook.

Well it was definitely smokey.. I also used 4 cups of cheese and because this is Wisconsin, I threw a few fresh squeaky cheese curds in for good measure!!!

I don't know i would make it for us again smoked but I would make it for a gathering of people.

Well it was definitely smokey.. I also used 4 cups of cheese and because this is Wisconsin, I threw a few fresh squeaky cheese curds in for good measure!!!

I don't know i would make it for us again smoked but I would make it for a gathering of people.

I cooked mine with a brisket also... I did not add any wood chunks to the wsm when I put it on and it still has a nice smokey flavor. If you think it's over smoked, you can cover it with foil half way into the cook too...

Nice looking mac & cheese! Thanks for the recipe.

I made this tonight. Thanks for the recipe, it was great. I added bread crumbs on top of mine. Thanks again!
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwNjA1LTAwMDU5LmpwZw.jpg

Back