The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Thumbs down Competition Judges Scores???

Wanted to get some opinions on judge scores. This happenend 2 weeks in a row now. Last week we got a 5 in taste and a 9 in taste in the same entry. This weekend in louisville we got a 4 in tenderness by one judge and a 9 by another judge. I'm not complaining about the scores in general, but that the scores are so far apart. This should never happen, having a 6 point jump in one catagory. Louisville hap over 50% master judges, so i was really surprised at this. Anybody have any good ideas on this or had this happen to you.

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
TexEx
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarters69 View Post
Wanted to get some opinions on judge scores. This happenend 2 weeks in a row now. Last week we got a 5 in taste and a 9 in taste in the same entry. This weekend in louisville we got a 4 in tenderness by one judge and a 9 by another judge. I'm not complaining about the scores in general, but that the scores are so far apart. This should never happen, having a 6 point jump in one catagory. Louisville hap over 50% master judges, so i was really surprised at this. Anybody have any good ideas on this or had this happen to you.
Did they both sample the same piece? Of course not. A single chicken can only donate two thighs which would usually be identical. Same with Ribs. Ribs in a contest box are not all from the same rack. Pork same way as well as brisket.

I think the judges scored what they were given, but it does make you stop and think.

Texex

TexEx Hook'em Horns!
FBA Member. FBA MCBJ.
KCBS 62294
Char-Griller Super Pro. Char-Broil Gasser.
[LEFT][FONT=Arial][I]Orange[/I][/FONT] Thermapen.[/LEFT]
TexEx is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
My first thought is category. Was it chicken? Those scores can be all over, due to separate pieces, different animals, etc. Easier to dry one out and not cook another piece perfectly - compared to other categories.

Two weeks in a row? Might be that your recipe is either too spicy or not spicy enough. Those loves of spicy food score it high and the others do not.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Smoke Shack
Found some matches.

Or it could have been the "Gordon Ramsey syndrome".

Either way, as long as you only get one it won't hurt, but I certainly hope that the organizers/reps took steps to either determine why the judge gave such a low score. And, if they determine that is was GRS, then take steps to make sure that judge wouldn't be around at future contests!
Smoke Shack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

It was pulled pork the 1st week, and ribs this weekend. We do not use a over spicy rub on our pork.

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Did all your ribs come from the same slab? If you used two slabs, one could have been cooked perfect & the other either over/under done. Also, with ribs, CBJ's for the most part judge tenderness on the KCBS criteria whereas if you have non-CBJ's, you'll get marked down if cooked to KCBS standards since they seem to like the meat falling off the bone. Now with the pork - you're looking at taste and that is very subjective. The judge that gave you the low score just didn't like your flavor profile. Unfortunately that's just the breaks. Good luck at your next contest.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I judged a contest recently, and one of the pork entries that I sampled had bone fragments in it. I was the only one at the table that got bone fragments in the pork (or the only one who bit into that portion of meat) and I'm sure that my tenderness score did not in any way match what the others scored it.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
bbq.tom
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

I had bone fragments in one of the ribs that I judged last weekend and scored way down on tenderness. I doubt that any other judge had bone fragments on their rib, therefore my score was thrown out. (I'm still trying to figure out how the team cut the ribs apart resulting in a LARGE piece of bone being left on the side of the rib! - seemed like it was cut by a band-saw instead of a knife!) I ALWAYS use a comment card if I score below a 7 on ANY entry. If a judge doesn't use a comment card then how can the team know what was wrong.
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-08-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
I had bone fragments in one of the ribs that I judged last weekend and scored way down on tenderness. I doubt that any other judge had bone fragments on their rib, therefore my score was thrown out. (I'm still trying to figure out how the team cut the ribs apart resulting in a LARGE piece of bone being left on the side of the rib! - seemed like it was cut by a band-saw instead of a knife!) I ALWAYS use a comment card if I score below a 7 on ANY entry. If a judge doesn't use a comment card then how can the team know what was wrong.
We end up cutting our ribs that way on accident every now and then. If a bone curves hard to one side and you don't notice you can saw right through it with a electric knife. I've turned them in that way before and crossed my fingers that the judge would bite in the middle and not on the end.

Unread 05-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #10
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Lots of good responses on the likely causes. My two cents: A properly completed comment card should be required on scores of 5 or below. The cooks need to know what the judge observed and why he or she scored it low. If the comment is bogus, then the Rep can have a chat with the judge. A comment like "bone fragments in my sample" is constructive commentary and alerts the cooks to be more careful in the future. It's all about communicating useful information.
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #11
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
Lots of good responses on the likely causes. My two cents: A properly completed comment card should be required on scores of 5 or below. The cooks need to know what the judge observed and why he or she scored it low. If the comment is bogus, then the Rep can have a chat with the judge. A comment like "bone fragments in my sample" is constructive commentary and alerts the cooks to be more careful in the future. It's all about communicating useful information.
I am sure the judges comment card (KCBS) is anonymous so it would be difficult to discuss with the judge, not impossible since there are only 6 judges to choose from at that table. I helped with a contest scoring one time and even with the few comment cards turned in some were illegible.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

I am not mad about the 4 on tenderness. We knew that our ribs were overcooked. We did not expect a good score, I guess I am just confused why a judge would give us a 9 and another a 4. Seems to me it is to broad of a range for tenderness.

Unread 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
HarleyEarl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
I am not mad about the 4 on tenderness. We knew that our ribs were overcooked. We did not expect a good score, I guess I am just confused why a judge would give us a 9 and another a 4. Seems to me it is to broad of a range for tenderness.
Your comment helps a lot. If you felt they were over cooked, the lower scores more than likely came from the CBJ's whereas the 9 could have come from a non-CBJ that is accustom to Famous Dave's or Applebee's ribs.
CBJ
Six UDS's, Traeger 125, Traeger Jr, two HD Off-sets, and a home-made Trailer mounted smoker
Funny Farm BBQ
[URL="http://www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us"]www.FunnyFarmBBQ.us[/URL]
[COLOR=darkred][B]***2010 Great American Barbecue Baste of the Year***[/B][/COLOR]
HarleyEarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
When entering scores and if we run into 4's or below, I remind the judges at that point to please fill out comment cards because it helps the cooker. But we first look over all the cards and see if the 4 is in line. If not, we talk to the judge and if they insist it was, we ask them to then fill out the card. But you'll always get those judges who don't want to bother.

Bunny

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
quarters69
Full Fledged Farker

Bunny, you should know more than anybody. Is is common for scores to be that wide of a margin. I thought kcbs was hoping to keep all scores inline with each other. I think we had 100% CBJ, with over 50% master judges.