The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 02-19-09
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Finger-lickin' judges

As KCBS reminds judges, BBQ is finger food. Some reps do a good job of reminding people not to lick their fingers; others don't say a word. Personally, I find the idea of someone licking their fingers and then reaching into a box to grab a piece unsanitary. That being said, what's your take on judges who lick their fingers? And how could we handle this better at comps?
__________________
2x 18.5 WSM, Mini WSM, UDS, Weber 22.5 OTS, Orange Thermapen, cheapo gasser; KCBS MCBJ
Chenernator is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Every time I've judge there have have been sanitary wipes on each table and every judge has wiped down their hands between each box...
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
gmholler
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-15-09
Location: Lafayette, LA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Every time I've judge there have have been sanitary wipes on each table and every judge has wiped down their hands between each box...
Just what do you mean by "sanitary wipes"? Most that I've seen have a scent to them or leave something on your hands and we usually can't use them. Lots of times, tho, a contest will provide damp washcloths to be used between rounds, and those often work...some judges bring those with them as well.

I remember the first contest I ever judged, where one person "showing me the ropes" sneezed, wiped his hand on his pants, and then with that same hand, reached into a box of pulled pork to show me about how much to take! I tried to politely contain my revulsion at that and asked "don't they give you utensils to make it easier to get a taste of the food?" to which he replied, "Nah, BBQ is a finger food!". I've been kinda leery of that phrase ever since...

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Bentley
Babbling Farker
 
Bentley's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-14-07
Location: Culpeper, Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

How is me licking my fingers and picking up a piece of meat that only I am going to eat going to effect another judge?
__________________
Certified Master Judge #5382


What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-07-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter
Moderator
 
MilitantSquatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Location: Mooresville, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
As KCBS reminds judges, BBQ is finger food. Some reps do a good job of reminding people not to lick their fingers; others don't say a word. Personally, I find the idea of someone licking their fingers and then reaching into a box to grab a piece unsanitary. That being said, what's your take on judges who lick their fingers? And how could we handle this better at comps?
your also putting a lot a faith in all the cooks regarding use of clean hands, knives etc. I'm sure most do a good job, or try to but I've seen some things in the past that would make more than a few cringe. I've seen prep tables and cutting boards that were practically black from built up dirt.

Lots of people out their taste testing their sauces with their finger or spoon and then keep on mixing.

How many cooks use the porta-potties where hand sanitizer is not available or the wash basin is out of water or soap and go back to their site and jump right into something..

etc... etc.. etc.

Scary stuff.
__________________
Lonestar 24" Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox & Performer Platinum
Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Med. Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL & (2) Med. BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
Bunny
Full Fledged Farker
 
Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-03-08
Location: Pleasant Hill MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
As KCBS reminds judges, BBQ is finger food. Some reps do a good job of reminding people not to lick their fingers; others don't say a word. Personally, I find the idea of someone licking their fingers and then reaching into a box to grab a piece unsanitary. That being said, what's your take on judges who lick their fingers? And how could we handle this better at comps?
You got to be freakin kidding me!
__________________
Gotta love it!
Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
BBQ Grail's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-03
Location: Rocklin, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmholler View Post
Just what do you mean by "sanitary wipes"? Most that I've seen have a scent to them or leave something on your hands and we usually can't use them. Lots of times, tho, a contest will provide damp washcloths to be used between rounds, and those often work...some judges bring those with them as well.

I remember the first contest I ever judged, where one person "showing me the ropes" sneezed, wiped his hand on his pants, and then with that same hand, reached into a box of pulled pork to show me about how much to take! I tried to politely contain my revulsion at that and asked "don't they give you utensils to make it easier to get a taste of the food?" to which he replied, "Nah, BBQ is a finger food!". I've been kinda leery of that phrase ever since...

Lynn H.
Unscented hand wipes are quite common...
__________________
Larry

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Chenernator
Full Fledged Farker
 
Join Date: 02-19-09
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
How is me licking my fingers and picking up a piece of meat that only I am going to eat going to effect another judge?
In theory, not at all. But I've seen plenty of people who aren't judicious in only touching one piece of meat. Everything they touch with the same fingers they licked could communicate disease. The warmth and moisture of a box already makes it bacteria friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
You got to be freakin kidding me!
Uh, no.

I'll readily admit that licking your fingers is the quickest and most efficient way to clean them off. It's not the best, however, in a group setting. I'm there to get good Q, not good and sick.
__________________
2x 18.5 WSM, Mini WSM, UDS, Weber 22.5 OTS, Orange Thermapen, cheapo gasser; KCBS MCBJ
Chenernator is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
gmholler
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-15-09
Location: Lafayette, LA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Unscented hand wipes are quite common...
Have you ever had the misfortune of licking your fingers after wiping them with one of those? Yuck!

Usually, about all I have time to do between boxes is wipe my fingers on a paper towel or napkin - then once that round is over, I can hopefully find a sink with running water to get the sauce out from under my fingernails.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker
 
WineMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-16-07
Location: Southern MN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenernator View Post
In theory, not at all. But I've seen plenty of people who aren't judicious in only touching one piece of meat. Everything they touch with the same fingers they licked could communicate disease. The warmth and moisture of a box already makes it bacteria friendly.

Uh, no.

I'll readily admit that licking your fingers is the quickest and most efficient way to clean them off. It's not the best, however, in a group setting. I'm there to get good Q, not good and sick.

You may want to consider an alternative hobby.
__________________
Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
Arlin_MacRae
Moderator

 
Arlin_MacRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-14-04
Location: Choctaw, OK
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

OK, this kinda hits a nerve with me.

Let me say something about antibodies.

You know the people the folks who are constantly sanitizing everything? I believe they're doing more harm than good. They're not giving the body what it needs to keep us healthy - the chance to get sick once in a while. If you have no antibodies you're going to get waylaid everytime you forget to wipe a doorknob before you open it, and a kid in today's world who can't fight infection is going to be in a world of hurt.

My advice? Quit worrying, take your lumps, and be healthier.

/RANT OFF


Arlin
__________________
Arlin MacRae

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Homebrewed Q
Full Fledged Farker
 
Homebrewed Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-10
Location: Shenandoah, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae View Post
OK, this kinda hits a nerve with me.

Let me say something about antibodies.

You know the people the folks who are constantly sanitizing everything? I believe they're doing more harm than good. They're not giving the body what it needs to keep us healthy - the chance to get sick once in a while. If you have no antibodies you're going to get waylaid everytime you forget to wipe a doorknob before you open it, and a kid in today's world who can't fight infection is going to be in a world of hurt.

My advice? Quit worrying, take your lumps, and be healthier.

/RANT OFF


Arlin
Here, here.....I'm all for being as sanitary as possible, but there is only so much you can do. The human race as survived and thrived in much worse conditions and continues to expand in population. Just do what you can and politely refuse something you consider unsanitary. Good smokin' luck!
__________________
BWS Fatboy, CG w/SFB and mods, Weber OTG 22.5, Weber OTS 18.5, Grey Goose Weber Performer
Homebrewed Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker
 
Muzzlebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-06
Location: Pleasant Valley NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I do agree with what both Arlin and Vinny have said, I have seen some judges that might make me think twice about eating at their house and am glad I don't have to reach into a box after them. All the sanitzer wipes in the world wouldn't get the crud out from under some of their fingernails.......

I think it may just be an occupational hazard of judging.....

If that sceaves you out, by all means don't walk through the competitors area and take a hard look at some of the things going on there.
__________________
Sean Keever

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #14
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
Alexa RnQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-12-07
Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Don't ever go to a grocery store produce section and watch how many people lick their fingers to help open those flimsy plastic bags, then pick over the produce with those fingers.
__________________
.
.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker
 
smoke-n-my-i's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-27-07
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I just took the table captain class, and this was brought up. It is suggested that we do it as a gentle reminder.

A judge that I know, takes her a few napkins, and then takes her water bottle at wets the napkins and uses that to wipe her fingers with after each "sample", then dries them with a dry napkin. I thought that was a great idea.....
__________________
KCBS Member
Smoke-N-My-I's Competition BBQ Team
2 Chargriller SuperPros with SFB's(retired)
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finger Lakes nancee Brethren Road Trips 0 10-13-2010 04:04 PM
Finger Food cowgirl Q-talk 33 06-29-2010 10:05 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts