喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Dubs
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Mustard Before the Rub?

What are the advantages to putting mustard on ribs, brisket etc. before the rub? Does it help with taste, color for presentation (my ribs sometimes turn out a little dark but the bark is great) or the rub binding? Just curious.
Dubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Some who use it claim that it helps hold on the rub, produces a better bark, and the vinegar in the mustard helps tenderize the meat. Personally, I don't see any advantage to using it over something like peanut or olive oil which helps keep rub on the meat too. But, I rarely put anything on the ribs before the rub and have no trouble getting good bark or tender ribs without mustard or oil.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

We use mustard "slather" on the picnic shoulders before the 22 hour cook at 225°. Add some rub to the mustard as well. It does make for a very nice bark with complex flavors. One can always find good mustards on close out sale at Big Lots. Read the labels first, but most are very simple ingredients. I DON'T use yellow (paint) mustard....blech!
mtbchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

I use generic store brand spicy Italian dressing. A lot cheaper than olive oil.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
BBQ Grail

Don't waste the mustard it doesn't do anything.

Someone else will say the exact opposite. Both are correct, I suppose.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Wampus

Yup.....Boshizzle's got it right. They claim that's what it does. Personally, I don't find it necessary. I rubbed 3 racks of ribs, 2 butts and a picnic today with nothing but the rub itself and it stuck just fine.

"Oh, I don’t reject Christ. I love Christ. It’s just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Couple years ago I did some BB ribs all exactly the same except one rack had a mustard slather before the rub. All were left with the rub and slather about two hours before putting on the smoker. We had several people blind taste the ribs and the one with the mustard slather won. Lots of other possible variables here but ...... ?? I usually slather my ribs and butts.
Micro stickburner Yoder YS1500, Stumps Stretch, Primo Oval XL, gasser and Ridiculously Fast [COLOR=red]Red [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen. [/COLOR]Past cookers: FEC100, FEC120, Klose stick burner, 22.5 WSM, Traeger BBQ125, Traeger Lil Tex, Rec-Tec pellet smoker, Cookshack Smokette electric smoker.
K-Barbecue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I use it, can't really give a great reason why, I just like to. I get a huge container at RD for like $7 lasts me a long time

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I use it, can't really give a great reason why, I just like to. I get a huge container at RD for like $7 lasts me a long time
Muz - He's talking about using this on animal meats.. not on yourself..

keep that to Woodpile, or better yet.. yourself .

When I was using mustard slathers, I took a liking to one from Paul Kirk that he called "Art's Mustard Sauce" after Art Brown's BBQ in Kansas.

1c Yellow Mustard
1/4c Pickle Juice
1 tblspn Worstershire Sauce
1/2 tblspn Hot Sauce
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 05-07-2011 at 10:38 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

I don't think it adds anything to the flavor or tenderness, so I skip the mess. If you want to hold more rub a little oil will do just as well.
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

I've used it for years seems to tenderize the meat to me.
[B]|[/B][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HOOK'EM[/B][/COLOR] [B][B]UDS[/B]|[B][COLOR="DimGray"]MINI UDS[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Black"]|22.5 WEBER PERF[/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|B&B[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Sienna"][B]|OAK & PECAN[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="Blue"][B]|DIGIQ[/B][COLOR="Black"][B]|[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR="Yellow"][B]TW8060[/B][/COLOR][B]|THERMAPEN[/B] [COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR][B]|[/B][B][COLOR="Black"]Char[/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Red"]-Griller[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Akorn[/COLOR][/B][B]|[/B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/thinblue.smokery"][COLOR="Red"][B]Thin[/B][/COLOR][COLOR="LightBlue"] [B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]Smokery[/B][/COLOR][/URL][B]|[/B]
AustinKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 AM   #12
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

I've found that the rub gets lost in the mustard and doesn't penetrate the meat as well. I prefer to pre-rub, let sit for as long as possible. Then apply the mustard slather (or oil) and more rub.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 02:19 AM   #13
gtr

Sometimes I use mustard or garlic aioli on butts & ribs. I don't think it really affects the flavor much - never done a side by side so I can't tell ya, but I think the bark is a little better with a slather. One of these days soon I'd like to a side by side and see if that's actually the case.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
SPFP
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
Furyous
Knows what a fatty is.

I tried mustard for the first time on 4 butts today, just to try it (I didn't do side by side because they were all likely to get pulled and mixed together). It did add a little vinegar flavor which I liked and held the rub nice to make a nice tasty bark (not that olive oil couldn't have done just as well) I will probably do it agan on a butt, but don't see me doing it on ribs..

Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #15
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Don't waste the mustard it doesn't do anything.

Someone else will say the exact opposite. Both are correct, I suppose.

My thoughts exactly, i suppose.
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote