The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default KCBS Practice Cook PRON heavy.

Hello,

I completed a solo practice cook (without doing boxes) last weekend mainly for turn-in timing purposes which i managed to make but it was a ton of work. I thought i would posts some pics for feed back. My chicken was the first time i tried trimming bone in thighs and got carried away. My ribs were very slightly over-coooked but was ok by me. The pork should have been foiled a little earlier to have less dark bark and i included, unsauced, sauced with pan drippings and a really lame attempt at getting the Money Muscle. Brisket has been tasting ok but my trimming seems to be causing the outer edges to crumble when i slice by the time the center of the flat is ready, so maybe i need to square up the edges a little more and inject a little more carefully as that weird track mark surface in the middle of the flat. Well, with all that said here are the results....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken.jpg (58.8 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg Rib Pic.jpg (44.4 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Rib Bite.jpg (56.5 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Pork Whole.jpg (63.1 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Pork Unsauced.jpg (62.9 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Pork Sauced.jpg (79.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg Lame MM.jpg (49.0 KB, 295 views)
File Type: jpg Brisket2.jpg (71.5 KB, 296 views)
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

looks great!

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Wish I could get my Que to turn out looking that good. Nice job and thanks for the post and Pron.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
HOG WILD BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

looks damn good

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
meatinc
On the road to being a farker

Looks nice! I think you are on track with the chicken and the ribs look great! You may want to cook two butts - pull one at the appropriate temp (for you) to slice the MM and the second one cook until appropriate for pulling. The brisket injection marks are really showing up and I see some yellowish liquid along the slice (nice camera work!) - maybe use a lighter liquid to mix in the injection or reduce one of the darker ingredients in the injection?

Good luck in your comp! I hope you made a list of all the gear you need and hammered down your time lines!

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Full Fledged Farker

Meatinc,

Thanks for the advice. I do plan to cook two butts, one for MM pulling from cooker approximately 180F-185F in the MM or so and one for pulling at higher internal temp. Yes, the brisket injection marks are bad on this one...i was experimenting and you are correct in that it was too thick. I'll definitely make a correction on my next practice run.
Any and all suggestions are welcome as i am still pretty new to competition.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

looks great, Id hit that pork!

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great and I'm sure you will do really well in your contest!!! One small tip, on the ribs, make sure when you slice that you get a uniform piece. Looks like it's a little shaped with one end narrower than the other. Seems like when you put them in a box the shape is exagerated because of all the lines around them being squared out. If that makes sense.

Lang 60D trailer
Orange Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Rec Tec Grill
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I think the pork looks really good. A little practice and your MM will be just fine. I've been doing two butts for exactly the reasons stated: One MM will almost always be better than the other.

A sharper knife may help the "shredding" issue you get when you slice your brisket. I know that helped me out a lot when I had that same problem. As for the discoloration, that's why I don't inject. But I know a lot of winners swear by it and who am I to argue with success?

I usually either de-bone my chicken thighs or I'll do rotisserie hens and turn in leg quarters. I think your color is good and your glazing looks spot on.

Based on the bite mark, I would agree that your ribs got a little overdone, but not too much. Sauced, they almost look like candy apples - a little too red for my taste, but that's just a personal thing. Still very good looking.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Full Fledged Farker

Full Draw....My problem with getting the ribs cut correctly is that i have crap for ribs around here. The bones usually curl and twist so bad that i can rarely get 3-4 straight per rack. Think i'm gonna have to orders some online...any suggestions?

Southern...I have a granton edge victorinox but am still having trouble so i was thinking that the edges are too thin and over cooking. On the chicken, I was practicing deboned, sculpted thighs but i have been hearing judges complain about them not "looking like chicken" and some cooks wondering if the are losing effectiveness due to so many doing them.

Thanks to you both for the advice!!
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #11
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
Full Draw....My problem with getting the ribs cut correctly is that i have crap for ribs around here. The bones usually curl and twist so bad that i can rarely get 3-4 straight per rack. Think i'm gonna have to orders some online...any suggestions?

Southern...I have a granton edge victorinox but am still having trouble so i was thinking that the edges are too thin and over cooking. On the chicken, I was practicing deboned, sculpted thighs but i have been hearing judges complain about them not "looking like chicken" and some cooks wondering if the are losing effectiveness due to so many doing them.

I hear ya about the chicken thing. But, I did the boneless last comp and they were my second highest scorer. I've turned in what I thought to be far better quality bone-in and gotten much lower scores.

I know I may be inconsistent, but not THAT inconsistent.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Nothing wrong with the color of your pork. You already have good advice about the money muscle. Work on the chicken trimming. I don't know how some of the others get rid of the knubby bone sticking out. Still trying to fiqure that out myself. Brisket looks very good if you can get rid of the injection marks.

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Full Fledged Farker

Mobow,
Thanks. I tried doing the bone in thighs after seeing some while judging where every thigh was perfectly uniform and the bones were almost exactly the same width. It was impressive. I don't know if they sorted through 30 of em, trimmed em or what. They almost were the size of a chicken wing bone. Mine turned out that way because i was trying to get the cartilage off the end which didn't work out well as you can see.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570

Unread 05-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
Full Draw BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post

If you need or have to use ribs with curved bones, make the cuts straight and square, to hide that the actual bone is curved. If you need to use a couple of racks, that is ok too, just cut them evenly when you are making the spares into St. Louis cut. Then square the meat, and don't worry about the bone, as long as you have meat on both sides and they look evenly rectangular.

Lang 60D trailer
Orange Thermapen
22.5 Weber Kettle - retired
Rec Tec Grill
Full Draw BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #15
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobow View Post
I don't know how some of the others get rid of the knubby bone sticking out. Still trying to fiqure that out myself.
Cut it off with some shears.