The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Should judges be allowed to take home entries after judging?
Yes - Judges should be allowed to take home what is left on their plate 68 61.82%
NO - ALL left-overs must be thrown away! 42 38.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Judging "left-overs" - take home or NOT?

I just judged a KCBS contest on Saturday and all the judges were instructed to throw away ALL of the entries on their plate after judging. It was explained by the contest organizer that the cooks didn’t want the judges to take anything home that they judged. That they (the cooks) only turned in entries for judging and NOT for anyone to take home.

I am not only a judge, but also a competitor, and I have NO problem with judges taking home ANYTHING after judging. It just seemed a total waste to throw away all that “left-over” meat! At other contests the left-overs are taken home and I share with my wife and/or enjoy them for lunch later that week.

I would love to hear opinions from other judges and competitors on this issue. The contest organizer DID provide some “non-judged” (already bagged) pulled pork for the judges to take home.

What is your opinion (and why)???
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
JayAre
Full Fledged Farker

I dont have a problem with Judges taking leftovers home, I do however have a huge problem with judges who only show up to get free bbq and dont take the judging serious.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayAre View Post
I dont have a problem with Judges taking leftovers home, I do however have a huge problem with judges who only show up to get free bbq and dont take the judging serious.
Same here.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
KCBS, NEBS Member
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0

Problem with judges taking home meat? What? Hell, in MBN judges are invited to come back to teams areas and take bags of pulled pork or ribs home... When judging I've always come home with a box of either doggie scraps or food for us. New organizer, perhaps?

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Toss leftovers.
Just saw the classic case of one bite then load up the zip loc bag this weekend in Liberty, IN. As a judge I am truly embarrassed that this type of judge exists and is deciding the fate of hard working cooks that are putting their all into their turn in boxes.

I also want to add that this judge was a new judge with less than five contests judged, and for each category was the first one done filling out the scorecard.

Last edited by EatonHoggBBQ; 05-02-2011 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: added text
EatonHoggBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

my fear is that some judges rush to fill up there coolers and dont take an ample sample to fufill their judging obligations.. judge first ...cooler second..

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #7
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

The judges should be there to judge, not to receive free food.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
ique
is One Chatty Farker

I'm always surprised that someone would want to save a piece of barbecue with a bite taken out of it for later.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #9
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
my fear is that some judges rush to fill up there coolers and dont take an ample sample to fufill their judging obligations.. judge first ...cooler second..
Exactly! As a judge when I see others taking a single bite then transferring the rest to the cooler I really have to wonder if they are getting enough to give an accurate score. This is why I don't like the idea of allowing leftovers from the judging table at all. Taking some from the grazing table after judging is done however...sure, as long as the non-judging volunteers have already had their fill.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Two problems with taking turn-in's home. 1. Judges can take your product and show it to other teams. 2. Judges, if they are a team member, can show their team what you do and your flavor profile. 3. Judges can take small bites so they have more to eat when they get home. As a CBJ for many years and having judged many contests I have seen all of the above.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkQPine View Post
Two problems with taking turn-in's home. 1. Judges can take your product and show it to other teams. 2. Judges, if they are a team member, can show their team what you do and your flavor profile. 3. Judges can take small bites so they have more to eat when they get home. As a CBJ for many years and having judged many contests I have seen all of the above.
Just curious - how can a judge take "your" product and show it to other teams when they have NO IDEA who's product they are judging? Also, how can a judge show "their" team what "you do and your flavor profile" if they have NO IDEA who's product they are judging? Having judged KCBS, MBN, and North Carolina Pork Council, I can honestly state that I have absolutely NO IDEA who's product I am tasting/judging when judging "blind".
OBJ - BBQCritic.com
CTC - KCBS
Pitmaster and chef - "4 Lil' Pigs" Competition BBQ Team
Author of "A 'Q' Review"
Lang Hybrid Smoker, BDS, Holland "Epic"
bbq.tom is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Default For the record.

The contest is Hog Fest in Edenton. Yes, the judges were not allowed to take any of the items that they recieved to judge. My instructions were that the meat was sent in for one reason only and that was to be judged. I also explained that the cooks would be providing goodie bags of there meat for the judges who wanted them. It was not just pulled pork, it was all four meats and was provided by the cook teams. I had two coolers full from the cooks that the judges did not take and it was divided up between some of the workers at the event. The extra meat in the boxes was eaten by the workers as well. The only waste here was the meat that was on the plates to be judged and I don't consider that a waste because it served its purpose.

I have seen judges who come to a contest and take a minimal bit from the entrie and then it goes in a cooler. I have listened to other judges talk about it as well. My goal is to make sure that all judges take this as serious as we do as cooks. I also have a obligation to the cooks who attend our contest to provide them with the best judging possible.

I also understand the sacrifice that judges make to come and judge and want to provide those who want to take some meat home that as well.

It is my hope that this will become a standard for all contest.

This is my opinion as a cook, judge, and orginizer.

Roy Murray
Tarheel Smokers
Hog Fest in Historic Edenton orginizer.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
cmcadams

I've cooked and judged, and I don't see any sacrifice that judges make. They travel because they want to, not because their presence is that important. With good communications, most events I've seen would have no problem getting judges that are trained a bit in what to look for, etc.

I've seen several judges that are there primarly for the take homes, with no regard to the time and money put in by the cooks. I'd prefer all events not allow judges to take anything from the judging table. As a cook, I'm happy to give out samples after, but I'd rather know that the judges are actually judging, not hoarding leftovers.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
theflints01
Knows what a fatty is.

Isn't this part of the table captains job, to make sure the judges are actually judging? We are instructed to take at least two tastes of every turn in, but not gorge ourselves as that can affect your palate. With the size of some of the slices and chunks of brisket and pork and all the chicken thighs, there will be leftovers no matter who's judging. Why toss good meat, it makes a great pot of beans.

Quote:
They travel because they want to, not because their presence is that important
Yesterday I drove 130 miles to judge a comp. Many judges came from farther. If you want local yokels and "celebrity judges" resposible for your payoff, good luck. When I compete I feel very comfortable that we in the PNWBA get experienced judges at all of our comps and get judged fairly and evenly. I do think it's important. If they want to keep the leftovers, fine by me.
theflints01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #15
Sawdustguy

I can see the points that have been presented but I really hate to see good edible food just tossed in the trash.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote