The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New things tonight! iQue 110, Trying Mustard & More (Pics)

So I actually have a few new things I'll be trying tonight. First my iQue 110 came today!! Perfect timing because I really wanted have some pulled pork around lunch time Saturday for myself and some friends. My WSM is only a month old and I haven't done an overnight smoke on it at my house. I did do one at a competition and it really chugged along most of the night without too much vent tending. Did tweak it a few times that night as it was windy.

So I'm hoping this sucker works as well as I have read. I will say the guys at PitmasterIQ have been top notch when it has come to email. They had delays form the tsunami that hit Japan, where they get parts from and they were extremely quick to respond to all emails and questions. I'm talking like maybe 30mins to get back and multiple times it was 15mins.

The next 3 new things maybe aren't really "new" so much that I haven't tried them in a long time. I bought 2 butts and will be doing a side by side comparison with Mustard being the only difference. I normally don't use mustard before my rub since the first couple times I tried it I couldn't tell much difference, but I never really did a side by side comparison so we shall see.

I'm also not going to inject either of these to see if I can taste a difference from what I normally do with an injection. Then lastly I'm not going to foil which I normally do around 160-165 and see about getting a firmer bark.

So I know when you are trying to perfect your recipe you really shouldn't change more than 1 thing at a time, but these "new" things aren't to try and "perfect" what I have done in the past. It really is just to try a bunch of new crap out all at once just for the sake of doing it :).

Here is the box the iQue 110 came in. Seemed well packed as nothing was rattling around.

Packed extremely well with peanuts.

Here is what was in the box. Got a Koozie surprise! Can never have too many koozies in my book.

Here are the butts. About 15lbs total. Also made a new big batch of rub. Almost filled 2 shakers.

Saying hello with mustard. This is the one I gave a good slathering too.

Here is the rub on the mustard butt. Can you see the thumbs up? It is kind of camo'd in rub as well :)

I also did a complete foil of my water pan. I only did the bottom last time and man it was a pain in the a$$ to clean/chisel the gunk from inside since I don't normally clean right after smoking. I know some folks say water can get under the foil and drip onto the coals, but I'll see how it goes. Lot of people say it doesn't too. Go figure....BBQ folks with completely different opinions :)

So I plan on putting the butt on around midnight and letting them go till done. I normally try and get butts around the 7.5lb range which these are right around and it normally take about 12hrs around 225-235ish. We'll see how it goes.

I will have udates when the butts go on with the iQue setup and then in the morning when I get up.
fnbish is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2011, 12:11 AM   #2
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looking forward to see the results!

Looks real good so far!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #3
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Started with a full basket of charcoal and put on about half a chimney of lit. Videos I saw online said to do close to a full chimney, but that seemed like too much. This worked just fine.

Lit Chimneys in the dark are always my favorite pics.

I set it up just like it said with 2 bottom vent closed and then you put the air adapter over the 3rd vent which is fully open. The top vent is only open about 1/8th of an inch.

Here are the 2 butts on. I removed the gator clip as I read others did this too. I have eyelets and that sucker wouldn't fit through :).

I have my maverick probe in there as well and the iQue is pretty accurate so far. They advertise it will be within 10 degrees of the set temp and it has been about 5 degrees off give or take a few. So not bad at all. The butt did go on around midnight and I'll go crash soon. The temp has been very steady so far. Now just to trust it and fall alseep :). Catch you all in the morning.

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Looking forward to see the results!

Looks real good so far!

Bill
^^^^What that farker said...

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^^^ What that farker said too!

Nice pics coming out so far!

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
fnbish
Babbling Farker

Fell asleep around 1am and woke up a few times and peaked at the Maverick and the temp stayed steady all night. Got up at 6:30am and it was at 225. So far i'm impressed.

After 7hrs from when I first lit it still tons of charcoal in there. Still unburnt wood as well.

Here are the butts.