The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Bbqin fool
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Wrapping and keeping butts and brisket

Ok so I don't want to sound naive but is wrapping considered crucial for butts and brisket? And if so when should I wrap? Also when they are done at the competition what's the best way to keep them so they stay moist and warm?
Bbqin fool is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Some teams foil; some dont. Those that do foil at different times. As far as staying hot and moist, wrap them and place them in a cambro (coolers work fine). They'll keep for hours like this, especially if you pack towels around them for warmth.

We foil when the exterior of the meats meets our color preference and leave them foiled for the remainder of the cook.

Unread 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I once took foiled butts that were at about 200F and put them in a sealed carlisle. I'll never do that again. I doubt my dogs would have eaten it and the judges sure let me know that.

Brisket - well that's another story. I'd suggest you try a class or else just find a quality team that would let you hang out for a weekend and take some notes.

Bottom line is wander around and see where people put their meat. I've seen them sitting on top of FE's wrapped and in a pan for a period of time, in a cooler, on a counter, in a cambro, there's really no one answer. First question would be how long do you hold and that would determine how you hold it and if it goes back in the smoker again.

Best advice for competition is take a quality class. Rod told me what I already knew about a sealed cambro with foiled butts.

Last edited by Ford; 04-29-2011 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: added content
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

for keeping moist and warm. let the meat vent off for a bit to arrest carryover. wrap in your choice of the following: foil, butcher paper, high temp safe plastic wrap. place in cambro or good quality cooler with some towels. it'll still be too hot to touch 6 hours later.

wrapping during the cook is purely subjective.

use the search feature...there are decades of knowledge at your fingertips.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote