The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brining turkey boobs

Is 24 hours too long for boobs only? How long does everyone soak their boobs?
Blackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
harripooner
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm guessing 24 hrs wouldn't, but I'm sure you could easily shorten it to 12-16hrs no problem.
Here's a brine we tried. It turned out pretty damn awesome for thanks giving. We ended up not doing the glaze, but the brine was awesome. We modified it a bit, but the brine was really good. Of course it rained, but it came out just the same.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/20...ith_malt_glaze

Ingredients

Glaze

• 2/3 cup barley malt syrup
  • 1/4 cup malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • 6 fresh sage sprigs
  • 4 fresh thyme sprigs
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
Brine, Turkey, and Aromatics

• 4 quarts water
  • 2 cups Diamond Crystal coarse kosher salt or 1 1/2 cups Morton coarse kosher salt
  • 3 12-ounce bottles stout beer (such as Guinness)
  • 1 1/2 cups barley malt syrup
  • 1 14- to 16-pound turkey
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 2 peeled onions, quartered
  • 2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
  • 1 bunch fresh sage
  • 1 bunch fresh thyme
  • 1 unpeeled head of garlic, cut crosswise in half
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 cups (or more) water
  • Mixed-Mushroom and Tarragon Gravy
Special Equipment

• 2 turkey-size oven bags
  • Turkey lacing pins
  • Charcoal chimney (if grilling)
  • 13x9x2-inch disposable aluminum baking pan (to catch drips; if grilling)
  • The Technique: Beer-Brined

• Brining—soaking the bird in salt water—creates juicy turkey. Here, stout beer and barley malt syrup add a richness to the brine, which infuses the meat with flavor. And the malt glaze gives the bird a crisp, burnished skin.
  • Ingredient Info

Barley malt syrup has a flavor similar to molasses. Look for it at natural foods stores or buy it from edenfoods.com.
Preparation

Glaze

• Bring malt syrup, vinegar, herbs, and pepper to boil in small saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low and simmer until glaze coats spoon, 4 to 5 minutes. Mix in butter. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm before using.
Brine, Turkey, and Aromatics
  • Pour 4 quarts water into 16-quart nonreactive bowl or pot. Add salt; stir to dissolve. Mix in beer and malt syrup. Insert 1 oven bag into second bag; place in large bowl. Rinse turkey inside and out. Slide turkey, breast side down, into doubled bag. Pour brine into bag. Press out any air; seal bags. Chill turkey in brine (still in bowl) 16 to 18 hours.
  • Remove turkey from brine. Pat very dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Sprinkle main cavity with 2 teaspoons pepper; fill with onions, celery, sage, thyme, and garlic. Close cavity with turkey lacing pins. Tuck wing tips under; brush all over with oil.
To Roast Turkey
  • Set oven rack at lowest position; preheat to 350F. Place turkey on rack in roasting pan; add 2 cups water.
  • Roast turkey 2 hours. Brush with glaze; add water if pan is dry. Roast 30 minutes. Brush with glaze. Tent with foil if browning too quickly. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165F, 30 to 45 minutes. Brush with more glaze. Transfer to platter; let rest 30 minutes (temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).
To Grill Turkey
  • Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Remove top grill rack. If using charcoal, light briquettes in chimney. When briquettes are covered with white ash, push to opposite sides of bottom grill rack, leaving center empty. Place disposable aluminum pan in center of rack (you will need to light additional briquettes, checking every 30 minutes during grilling time). Replace top grill rack. If using 3-burner gas grill, light burners on left and right sides, leaving center burner off. If using 2-burner gas grill, light burner on 1 side; place disposable pan over unlit side.
  • Place turkey, breast side up, on grill rack over disposable pan. Cover barbecue. Insert instant-read thermometer into hole in hood. Maintain temperature as close as possible to 350F on charcoal grill by opening vents to increase temperature and closing vents to reduce temperature or adjusting temperature on gas grill with controls. Cook turkey 2 hours, tenting loosely with foil if browning too quickly. Brush turkey with glaze. Cover grill; cook 30 minutes longer. Brush again with glaze. Cook until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165F, about 30 minutes longer. Transfer turkey to platter. Brush with glaze. Let rest 30 minutes (temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees).

Last edited by harripooner; 04-29-2011 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: I'm a tard
harripooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, I usually do a whole bird for 24 hours, just wasn't sure if that would be too long for a breast.. Only one way to find out I guess.

Unread 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
TheRancheroGuy
Knows what a fatty is.

I just did 2 turkey breasts on the UDS Tuesday. They were in the brine solution for about 6 hours and they turned out great, so sez all of the folks that ate. The brine I literally threw together was:
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
2-3 tablespoons of dried tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon pepper
In a small cooler that would barely fit the 2 breasts side by side, enough water to cover, ice cubes to keep cool.
TheRancheroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Marck
On the road to being a farker

Mine usually get brined overnight - water, salt, sugar, fresh garlic, molasses, hot sauce, basil and dill.

Unread 04-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Rule of thumb is an hour per pound.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

Another vote for overnight. Water, salt, sugar and some quartered oranges and fresh herbs (usually thyme, rosemary and sage)
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #8
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Overnight it is.. Brine I've been using a lot lately that I've been really happy with -

1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup old bay seasoning
handful of peppercorn

per gal

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's my approach.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95022

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #10
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

P.S. Old Bay should be called "Turkey Magic". :-)

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote