The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New UDS added to my (offset) Grill

Well since my surgery I cant do anything else, but I can do some light stuff so I added on a UDS to my (offset smoker grill) that I thought was a UDS and you guys set me straight on that real quick. Heres where the story begins, well it actually started about 4 DOS EQUIS ago but anyway

I added this

I cut it to make it easier to add coals

I added this coal basket

Heres the air intake

One coat of paint, tomorrow I will add the block O GO BUCKS !!

And here is the maiden voyage, a pork but that used a homemade rub on, I shreaded it put it on a kaiser roll with cole slawand I made a north carolina vinegar base sauce. Damn it was good! still eatin on it today !!!

I love being a hillbilly smoker LOL!!!
stanimals2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
45fan
Full Fledged Farker

Man that just looks Awesome! This Hillbilly likes the RED!
45fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

O-H

that coal basket in the one picture looks like it's floating.

go bucks! from a fellow Ohioan.
dealm9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Cool! So how is the drum feeding heat into the cooker? I only see what appears to be one 3/4" pipe..??
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
Cool! So how is the drum feeding heat into the cooker? I only see what appears to be one 3/4" pipe..??
There is a 2 1/8 pipe to it, I just put a pipe cap on it to use the small drum alone

Unread 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very interesting. What is the purpose of the second, smaller pipe then? Do you get decent heat transfer into the large drum? With that small of a pipe I have to question.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
stanimals2
Full Fledged Farker

Colonel it is a trial and error project, I hoped the large pipe would heat the large drum but I am not sure that it will now. The original project was using the clamp on drum lid so the smaller pipe was to vent the UDS and I was just going to vent it ito the large drum to keep it out of my face when cooking, that much works well. Then I found the 14 Charbroil lid that fit perfect so I guess the vent pipe wasnt really needed. When I did the first cook with it saturday I found 2 problems the first was I need to add a T to the inlet air pipe to keep it from filling up with spent coals (like it did) . That made it hard to control temps but thats an easy fix however it may never fill up like that on a normal cook. I had filled the basket and lite the thing the night before to season it and it burned for 14 hours straight and when I got ready to use it the temp was still 170 so like a dummy I added more coals and stirred it up, probably what clogged the inlet looking back. Since I was having so much trouble with the temps I was trying differant things (not knowing the inlet was plugged) and I found out opening the the large pipe drops the temp in a hurry in the small drum so you would probably need a VERY hot fire and probably real sticks to ever get the big drum to temp. I will try that later and let you know. All in all right now if you use the UDS as a UDS and the grill as a grill or and of set the work flawlessly and I am very happy with them both for my first ever attemps. Definately learned things I would do differant next time on both when (if) they ever wear out. Off to lay out the block O

Thanks, Stan

Unread 04-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #8
D.F. Expat
Full Fledged Farker

In for details.

Unread 04-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thanks for the information. I like the idea and creativity.
WWWWFBBQADD
0 out of 1 members found this post helpful

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is online now   Reply With Quote