The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
altomari8868
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket and shoulder in pans

Hi,
Most times during competiton cooks I cook brisket and shoulders right on the grates. Saw a copy of kick a$$ BBQ's thought on cooking these during the entire cook in aluminum pans. I was hoping to hear for anyone as to if this has any draw backs. I realize I would probably need to heep the drippings low but other than that does it hurt anything. I just lined the botttom of my offset with fire bricks and thought this would help?
Any advice from someone who has done well with this during comps would be huge for me. Also if there is anything I need to watch out for if I do this.
Thanks
altomari8868 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #2
Smokin' Hicks

Downloads: 2

I just wanna know what you think the advantage to doing that may be....the disadvantage I can think of would be you would essentialy braise the bottom of the brisket in its own juices and the meat would crumble and be over cooked

Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 09:45 AM   #3
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Hicks View Post
I just wanna know what you think the advantage to doing that may be....the disadvantage I can think of would be you would essentialy braise the bottom of the brisket in its own juices and the meat would crumble and be over cooked
If you leave the fat cap on the bottom I don't see that being a problem. You are going to cut that fat off the bottom of the flat before you make your slices anyway.

Unread 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I've recently began cooking them in fairly deep cookie sheets; fat cap down. This helps us move the meat around with no sticking to the grates, and it helps when we foil later, the drippings are right there and I'll pour them over the meats in the foil and keep them just that much more moist.

Unread 04-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
wormdrink67

we're cooking on a cooling rack inside the foil pan, keeping the bottom of the meat braising.
WSM 22.5 CBJ #60558 PACK-A-SMOKES BBQ TEAM
wormdrink67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #6
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 2

I often cook my butts and briskets in shallow stainless pans on cooling racks. It makes it easy to move them around, allows the smoke to get all around, keeps them from braising and makes cleanup easier. Like this:

Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Bob's Hogs. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller

http://TheHogBlog.com
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->