• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Anyone have a favorite "Open Pit" based sauce recipe?

G

Ground Pounder

The in-laws are bringin' me 2 five-gallon jugs of Open Pit today that they scored at their local food distributor for a song and a dance. Not sure how I'm going to use all this stuff, but I figured I'd see if anyone had any favorite modifications that they like with this sauce.

Thanks in advance!

Its a pretty ggood base sause iI think so. If i foil ribs, I pour the juice in a small pot and add some rub and boil low untill thick again. That's not gonna use up anywhere near 10 gallons but its an idea for other uses

This recipe is out of a cookbook from one of my favorite restuarants in Minneapolis, Hell's Kitchen.
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but if it is half as good as their rib rub, you should be in good shape.

2 cups Open Pit BBQ sauce
1 small white onion chopped
4 tbsp dark brown sugar
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tbsp dark molasses
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke

Warm the open pit sauce in a med. sauce pan. puree the onion in a processor, and add it to the open pit with the remaining ingredients, simmer 20 minutes.

My rib sauce is as follows:

2 cups Open Pit Original BBQ Sauce
2 cups Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ Sauce
2 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and apply liberally during the last several minutes of grilling the ribs.

My favorite Open Pit memory was when I was little, my mom was making up "bbq" using Open Pit and some leftover pork roast. She warmed the pork roast in a skillet and put the pork roast in a stirred and coated the meat and served it to us on a soft white hamburger bun. One of my all time favorites.

I grew up with my dad mixing open pit and some butter. Made for some good chicken and pork steaks.. Sure miss those days

We use to put on chipped ham in a crock pot and called ham bbq. That use to bbq to me. :oops:

I use it as a nice marinade for beef, 50/50 with Italian salad dressing (wishbone). and straight up on chicken, not sweet or overpowering compliments the chicken.

Thanks folks, keep 'em comin' - I've got a lot of this stuff to use up, haha!

My folks used Open Pit with a little melted butter too. It was delicious on grilled chicken. While I usually make my own sauces, occassionally I will use a commercial brand and "doctor" it up a bit. I bought a bottle of the original recipe O.P. today. I think it's different from other brands because it is tangy and staight forward red sauce. Sometimes I like a break from sweet, smokey (artifical), and sticky sweet.

I like to mix it with about 6 oz. of beer and 1 pkg of taco seasoning. Everyone that's had my que with this simple sauce has loved it.

I like to soak chicken pieces in Open Pit for 5 or 6 hours and then smoke then and baste with it until they are done, really great flavor.

I raised on Open Pit, my Dad always had gallon jugs of it.

Back