oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Docmiller
Found some matches.

Default What happens when gas hits $5.00 or more

I am concerned as a past organizer and contest rep ..as to what impact the high gas and meat pricies are going to have at attendence at bbq contests this summer....what like your thoughts...
Docmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

For me, I will probably look closer to home. There are some events in MI that I can vend without much travel and I will probably choose those over a trip to Iowa for example. I'm rying to nail things down now for the summer and I'll drive if I have to but a contest with 3k in prize money is going to be hard to justify unless I can also vend and do 2k+.

When I'm in FL I probably won't make those road trips to the AL and GA contests although I will probably do Elba AL this year as I think it will get me into the triple crown invitational. And instead of heading to Pcola and Mobile I'll probably do local FBA events next year. Then again I may setup a roadside stand and quit the contest life except for a few big vending opportunities.

Note that with my trailer I get leass than 10 mpg diesel so a road trip of 600 miles at $4 costs nearly $60 more at $5 it's $120. It adds up in a hurry.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

It won't really impact our contest plans but we stay in the midwest for most contest anyways.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

In 2008 when gas hit $4, and diesel was $5, I didn't see any difference in attendance.. Fortunately, this year, most of my contests I'm doing are less than 75 miles from home.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
Tim H
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We limit our contests to a 4 hour or less drive time. I personally bank roll all of my contest expenses. As long as we operate in the black, that policy will continue. Once our team checking account hits $0 however (could be real soon unfortunately), the current cost of fuel, and its impact on other products will likely lead me to ask my team mates for some cash donations.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #6
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

As judges, it will probably keep us even closer to home. For most of the comps we'll be judging this year, we will drive to the comp, judge, schmooze until awards, and drive home the same day. I actually hate this, because hanging around and getting to know teams is the best part of the whole thing, but adding hotel costs on top of the gas just can't happen as often as it used to.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Just have to win more....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

I just make Spydermike drive. That way I can nap more!

Scott
Vice President, Great Lakes BBQ Assn
Onyx oven, Chargriller Akorn
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
Just have to win more....
As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Scottie.

As said above, I too am the primary support for the team so if I can find one closer, we would do it. Unless of course it's Bentonville, AR, or Jack. Those I'll find a way to do.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

This will be tough. There are only two of us, and the wife has been out of work for a while. I think we will be limited to comps within 50 miles, save for 2, Iron Mountain MI, and Arthur, IL. Those will be hard to justify, as Iron Mountain at 5 or more a gallon will likely be a 3-400 dollar gas cost at that price. We've only done 6 the past two years anyway, but fortunately many are close to home.

Only thing keeping Arthur in the picture is...
1)we have our pork to defend
2) I have high school buds that live close by...and
3) It's a phenomenal comp and a lot of fun!

We're playing this season by ear. First two comps (Westmont and Willowbrook) are paid, the rest....we'll see. We have to win here and there to make it justifiabe, as much fun as it is

Fortunately, we have a catering gig lined up for the same weekend as the Willowbrook comp, which should offset the cost of that one...will just make for an interesting weekend! Drop off at 3PM, arrival at comp by 5...should be fun!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

We are being really picky.

If an event is over 150 miles or so---it takes a real "reason" why it is special and requires us to go.

Just reality.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
rlncookinbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default gas

We have a ford 460 in our motor home, and we are going to shut engine down at all stop lites and RR crosings for sure.

Just sayin RLN
rlncookinbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Hopefully win money, and drive in reverse. Maybe we won't use any fuel that way

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
We are being really picky.

If an event is over 150 miles or so---it takes a real "reason" why it is special and requires us to go.

Just reality.

TIM
Aside from 2 contests here on L.I.

That would leave us with... about ummmm...... ZERO.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Air up the tires to the max and slow down below 70mph. I can pick up an extra 1 - 1.5mpgs doing that.
West Coast Offense, 3 Eyz, BBQ Guru,
Butcher BBQ, Grizzly Coolers,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote