oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Default Making my own Stoker...(Heatermeter) plus Router mod

I have been following a thread over at the Virtual Weber for making a bbq Blower thats can be controlled over the internet, using a old linksys router and homemade circuit boards.

Its not much yet but I have started my own heatermeter and so far its going well with a few minor bugs here and there.

Im also learning as I go. I have soldered in the past but nothing to talk about and i never programmed before, so this will be my summer project.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...3/m/7691098906

Some pics of what i have so far and will update as I go. I am still waiting for all the parts to be able to start on the main circuit board and button board. I already have the router programmed( i believe, lol)

The above pic is a SD card reader that i took apart and then I installed it to the router, after a few different card readers and soldering hicups, it works really good and now has 2 gigs of storage for files needed for the meter and i can save graphs of temps throughout a smoke.

This will be the heatermeter, it will have all needed connections on the back end and on top you can see a LCD screen and some future buttons.

Hopefully, I'll have it either finished and working or it will be up in smoke lol, before the end of the summer.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Nickos
Full Fledged Farker

Farking awesome! I will definately be following this thread.
Nickos is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
jmccann
Got Wood.

I thought I was the only weirdo doing this! Just finished mine
yesterday.
I went with an Arduino micro controller.
I also used a MAX6675 thermocouple amplifier and
k-type thermo couple.
Here's a picture of it bread boarded together

Here's a picture of it in the small box I built to house it

Here's a picture of the display

Here's a picture of the whole setup with UDS

And here's the pork I just pulled off of it a little while ago (It's in the cooler now as we speak)

While it did work... I have some programming to do yet. So far, it's just
on/off at 225. But it needs a stepping program to avoid over running etc.
I'm also not sure about my blower setup yet. I'm thinking it may need
a pipe or something to focus the air into my basket vrs just blowing
straight into the drum. Only time will tell.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Soybomb
Full Fledged Farker

That is a ridiculously cool project. I wanted to try something like that but went the cheap/lazy route and made a PID controller. I'll be subscribing to watch your build for sure!
Soybomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Default Buttons arrived today

I recieved my buttons and the microcontroller(ATMega32, the brain, basically.

It ain't very pretty but 30 minutes of work and my first ever button board I can't complain, lol. It works great, each buttons gets a different ohm reading(2.2, 4.7, 390, 680) to let the ATMega know how to move the cursor on the LCD up, down, left, right.

I am definately going to redo the board to make it nice, in the future, but for now it works fine.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

After banging my head on the wall for the last few days, I was finally was able to get a Web page of the Heatermeter up and running. Nothing to show as of yet, still need some parts. But i hope to start on it this week and should be finished by the end of next week.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #7
jds62f
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

you guys ain't the only ones on that thread!

I've build the ultra simple version. Arduino, one pit sensor, fan mounts up to my BGE. using Bryans code.

After working out some kinks with my soldering this weekends cook was rock solid. I did a brisket and rocked 190* for the first two hours followed by 240* to the finish line.

I had a Maverick monitoring the pit temps the whole time and even with a small window the alarms never went off. I only had to touch it to change the pit temp from 190*->240*... other than that, I put the brisket on and came back when it was almost done!
jds62f is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Yeah, Byran and Ed have done alot of cool stuff. I was thinking about getting a stoker or a guru, but after seeing what they have done i wanted to make my own, hell, I made my UDS I might as well make my blower for it.

I never built any thing even close to this so thats why i started a thread over here, showing that even a newb with no programming and who has never made a circuit board can do this abeit with some minor hiccups here and there.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Started some work on the main board, still waiting for components to finish.

From left to right: 2-22pf caps, 16mhz crystal, a header for the AtMega 328, Header for the shift register, and the header for the LCD screen

The underside is going to be a jungle of wires.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
righteousdog
On the road to being a farker

other than saving a little coin and giving yourself a whole lot more work, is there an advantage I'm missing to using the shift register VS an already serial enabled LCD

Old 05-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That stuff is so cool... Is it hard to do for non-geeks???
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by righteousdog View Post
other than saving a little coin and giving yourself a whole lot more work, is there an advantage I'm missing to using the shift register VS an already serial enabled LCD

For that I have no clue, I have never did anything like this. The one reason i can come up with is that the serial enabled cost twice as much as the parallel lcd including the shift register and from doing my little search on them the one from sparkfun has some glitches.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Theboz1419
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
That stuff is so cool... Is it hard to do for non-geeks???
The hardest part is learning how to read the schematics, What connects to what? and what is some of the terms, like vcc, icsp, ohm, ect....,

Then there is the soldering, and that just takes practice practice and some more practice.

My problem so far is the placement of the components of the circuit board. not knowing whats the best to get everything as small as posible.

But i look at as if i need a bigger box to put it in so be it as long as it works it fine by me.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #14
BBQBobofA2
Knows what a fatty is.

Very cool guys, i have been looking at doing that myself. I was checking out

Virtual Weber
Homebrew BBQ Temp Control

Most of it is about using the Arduino, like jmccann used.

Using the router seems like a great idea, I will check that out.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
jmccann
Got Wood.

The arduino route was real easy really, I had allot of trouble wrenching the thermocouple amp. Smartfun had the parts though. Adafruit has an amp board already put together so it would be even easier to use. It's not that hard if you have basic electronics tinker' skills and basic C programming.

Tags
Heatermeter, Homemade Stoker