The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Santa Maria Pit build feedback needed (drawing enclosed)

I'm about to start a build and was looking for feedback on my design, I'm not trying to reinvent
the wheel here just want to address some issues and add some custom features to accommodate different types of cooking.
After seeing a picture of yelonutz' new pit I've already second guesd myself and will be adding swivel casters opposite the fixed wheels.
thanks for any comments, suggestions.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller
CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns
When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man
Will work for bbq is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:05 AM   #2
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0

Great set of drawings. Sometimes I wish I still worked at Northrop LOL. You wouldn't have a Materials List also. I really want want of these "Tri Tip" machines.
UDS, Jumbo Joe 2013, 26" Weber, SS Blue Performer, WGA Charcoal, Q100 & Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Capozzoli
is one Smokin' Farker

Very nice. I want to make one too. I was hoping to devise some ay to make each side travel up and down independently. That way one could be kept down for a hot side and the other raised up for a warm side.

Cant wait to see more.

[url]http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/[/url]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Capozzoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Awesome... send me the drawing when you're done... if that's OK... I would like to get a fabricator here to make one for me.

Cheers!

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

What CAD program did you use. I use Autocad, Bently Microstation and ProE. Can you attach a .dwg, .dgn or PDF file to a post. I really like your design so far and it would be nice not to have to start from scratch for modifications of my own.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

I really have no ideas to add, but did see some cool features a few months back on a fella from CL selling his grills. I'll bump the thread for you.

A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

I wouldn't do swivel casters, unless you get some good locking ones.

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

It is great to see someone actually undertake to make a set of drawings for one of these grills, I have looked everywhere trying to find some build plans and now you are developing a set, thanks for doing this and sharing. Like one of the other responders I would like to have a build of materials as well as a close up picture and explanation of your hoisting and lowering system with the type of latch system you plan to use. Again, thanks for providing all of this information and keep it coming, we all appreciate it more than you will ever know.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinAussie View Post
Awesome... send me the drawing when you're done... if that's OK... I would like to get a fabricator here to make one for me.

Cheers!

Bill
That would certainly be OK, pdf attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Don View Post
What CAD program did you use. I use Autocad, Bently Microstation and ProE. Can you attach a .dwg, .dgn or PDF file to a post. I really like your design so far and it would be nice not to have to start from scratch for modifications of my own.
I did it on Autocad 2000 I cant attach the dwg at this time because it's a mess and basically when I get an idea I'll just draw it out so I can visualize it (if that make sense) but here is the pdf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I really have no ideas to add, but did see some cool features a few months back on a fella from CL selling his grills. I'll bump the thread for you.
Thanks for the bump, I totally love that concept and can see myself building a similar version next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog66 View Post
I wouldn't do swivel casters, unless you get some good locking ones.
Thanks for the feedback, I just priced some 6" swivel casters with locks $94 ea. (ouch) I hate it when I second second guess myself.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf santa maria pit Model 04_2011.pdf (73.3 KB, 200 views)

Certified MOINK Baller

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
J_Don
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Paul. I really appreciate the PDF.
Char-Griller Super Pro w/Firebox (2)
Kenmore Elite Gasser w/ Rotisserie
Cajun Cooker (3)
UDS In Progress
[COLOR=#0000ff]BLUESMAN[/COLOR] Splashproof [COLOR=#0000ff]BLUE [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen :bow:[/COLOR]
H D FXSTD
J_Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capozzoli View Post
Very nice. I want to make one too. I was hoping to devise some ay to make each side travel up and down independently. That way one could be kept down for a hot side and the other raised up for a warm side.

Cant wait to see more.
That would be a cool feature, maybe on a wider pit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedex View Post
Great set of drawings. Sometimes I wish I still worked at Northrop LOL. You wouldn't have a Materials List also. I really want want of these "Tri Tip" machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelterrapin View Post
It is great to see someone actually undertake to make a set of drawings for one of these grills, I have looked everywhere trying to find some build plans and now you are developing a set, thanks for doing this and sharing. Like one of the other responders I would like to have a build of materials as well as a close up picture and explanation of your hoisting and lowering system with the type of latch system you plan to use. Again, thanks for providing all of this information and keep it coming, we all appreciate it more than you will ever know.
When I'm finished I will post up a BOM for you guys as well as pics of the build.

Certified MOINK Baller

Unread 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Groundhog66
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will work for bbq View Post
Thanks for the feedback, I just priced some 6" swivel casters with locks $94 ea. (ouch) I hate it when I second second guess myself.
Yeah, I would skip them. Before I built my brick pit, I had one like this. I never wished it had casters opposite the wheels, I like it to be solid/steady where I put it.

[COLOR=Yellow]
[/COLOR]
Groundhog66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Nickos
Full Fledged Farker

Excellent. I've thought about drawing some plans up to build my own sometime.
I'd love plans and a BOM when youre finished. Im a welder by trade and now a farmer and rancher. I coukd build the grill and raise the meat to cook on it haha
Nickos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
tbone310
Got Wood.

First off...Go Sharks! I'm in LA.

I use a grill like this for our Farmers Market business. The thing has been in the family for close to 20 years and still going strong. It has has a few patches here and there over the years. Most grills have a expanded metal grate that is ok but I replaced it with 1/4 stainless steel rods. I would also have vents as low as possible to allow air in when the grill is loaded and below the top of the box so the fire dosnt get smothered.

If youre ever in LA look us up!

Santa Maria Grill-60" X 20"
Weber 22' WSM
Weber 18"
Weber 26"
tbone310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

I've got a couple of Santa Maria grills. One was purchased and one was fabricated. Here of some photos that I hope will assist you in your build. My fabricated grill uses rods instead of expanded metal, but for the backyard, the expanded metal works just fine. I also lined the fabricated one with firebrick. Good luck .

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote